Half-gigs

FitchFY

• Members

Just some food for thought/ experience-sharing...

I've got a new funk/ soul-ish cover band called Souldiers, and we're gearing up for our first shows. In that we're all experienced, but want to get a little "dip in the water before swimming in the sea," we chose a local venue that does "half-gigs," where you split the night with another band for less money, but the PA is provided and you've only got a 90-minute set... plus free beer! :)

I've done these half-gigs a few times, and I gotta say, I love them for breaking in new bands and building fans. It benefits both bands to be able to play for each others' crowd, especially when new to the scene, and there's markedly less pressure around the gig when it's not all on you.

For those of you new to gigging, it may be an option for you to find another cover band that's new and find a venue that's cool with 2 bands playing over the course of a night.

• Members

I have done a few of these with There & Back Again and one with Ostrich Hat. Every time we have done these kind of shows it was with another band we knew and got along with. Always had fun and ended the night with a big ole jam session!

• Members

I'm at the point with two different bands where each has a half night's material. Unfortunately one is top 40 pop and the other classic rock - dunno if that could be made to work? For cover bands I'd expect most "compatable" bands to have a lot of songs overlap?

• Members

Sounds like a lot of fun, but a 6 piece group with 2 nights worth of material doesn't need it and probably can't afford it. I don't like DJs for breaks because so often they have an unrealistic idea of what is loud enough. I don't want to wear out the audience with sound fatigue and have them leaving early. The breaks are also a chance for the customers to talk at reasonable levels. (Not all the clubs we play in have an area where that is easy to do. The better clubs always have areas where the volume isn't stupid.)

Archived