"New" band + old venue = WIN!

mstreck

• Members

We played a venue last night that we hadn't played since September. As many of you know, we have been through some lineup/instrument/song changes since then.

This place usually has a band on the bar stage and a DJ in the "dance hall" back room (with a nice large stage and top of the line PA system. Last night, we were paired up with a pretty popular local DJ who has his own draw.

Three things made this a good night:

1) After the first set, a musician friend of ours said he loved it and asked us to play at his wedding.

2) Quite a few people told us that they came for the DJ, but stayed for us.

3) The manager pulled Amy aside between sets and told her to get up with the booker to get more dates throught the year.

We'll hit a couple more of our "old" venues in February and March. I'm hoping we get the same reaction!

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

That's pretty sweet! We added about a dozen songs for our last gig, plus dressing matchy matchy and the new light rig, so it was like a breath of fresh air all around as well!

Good stuff!

I forgot to mention that we did set up two trees with static par cans and a truss with two scanners and color banks set to "auto" - first time doing this. It did help some, but it wasn't done "right" - working on the light rig is our next big step/purchase.

We also need to start dressing more "matchy" - and almost did it by accident last night (everyone except for the bass player). 

• Members

We recently had a similar experience.  We played a room for the first time in about 5 months.  It was one that we decided not to pursue for a variety of reasons.  But they called us back and booked us, so we took it and it really turned out great.  Playing there 3 more times in the first half of this year.

It makes me realize that as rooms change hands/management, they need to be reevaluated in the same way as bands do as they change members/management.

Archived