Maximizing cash sales with a small crowd

mstreck

• Members

We make a conscious effort to bump up our crowd interaction when we're dealing with a small crowd.  When a joint it packed - the crowd has a life of it's own - and we're focused on keeping the dance floor going non-stop.  That means we've got little time for between song banter, breaks are a tad shorter, etc.  

When we're facing a smaller crowd - we try to be a lot more personable.   Between song banter feels more appropriate.  We take a little more time to joke amongst ourselves and with individuals in the crowd - and in the process let our personalities come through a little more (as compared to when we're playing to a packed house and are focused on being a musical machine pumping out non-stop dance material).   Everybody in the band makes a point of stopping by tables and talking to folks.   I think our focus on being "personable" when we're facing a smaller crowd goes a long way in keeping people interested and engaged.   Folks who are interested and engaged tend to stay for an extra drink or two .....

• Members

SpaceNorman wrote:

We make a conscious effort to bump up our crowd interaction when we're dealing with a small crowd.  When a joint it packed - the crowd has a life of it's own - and we're focused on keeping the dance floor going non-stop.  That means we've got little time for between song banter, breaks are a tad shorter, etc.  

When we're facing a smaller crowd - we try to be a lot more personable.   Between song banter feels more appropriate.  We take a little more time to joke amongst ourselves and with
individuals
in the crowd - and in the process let our personalities come through a little more (as compared to when we're playing to a 
packed
house and are focused on being a
musical machine
pumping out non-stop dance material).   
Everybody
in the band makes a point of stopping by tables and talking to folks.   I think our focus on being "personable" when we're facing a smaller crowd goes a long way in keeping people interested and engaged.   Folks who are interested and engaged tend to stay for an extra drink or two .....

That right there is a great post! Great advice man!

• Members

SpaceNorman wrote:

When we're facing a smaller crowd - we try to be a lot more personable.   Between song banter feels more appropriate.  We take a little more time to joke amongst ourselves and with
individuals
in the crowd - and in the process let our personalities come through a little more (as compared to when we're playing to a 
packed
house and are focused on being a
musical machine
pumping out non-stop dance material).   
Everybody
in the band makes a point of stopping by tables and talking to folks.   I think our focus on being "personable" when we're facing a smaller crowd goes a long way in keeping people interested and engaged.   Folks who are interested and engaged tend to stay for an extra drink or two .....

Sounds about right to me, although there gets to be a fine line between being a liquor rep and a musician. I know years ago I used to cross that line and probably promoted drinking too much. But as per above, you can keep people engaged without pouring tequila down their throats!

Archived