Too Much Time On My Hands

n8cJohn

• Members

Respectfully disagree Potts.  Well, depending on what type of scene and presentation we're talking about here. While I truly dig the songs you mentioned, I dunno that any of them would be a better live option for your average band than Too Much Time - exception maybe for Renegade, because it's at least danceable.

Of course for many of us, Styx probably ain't making the setlist regardless. 

• Members

n8cJohn wrote:

Anyone have any experience playing or seeing cover bands do this Styx number?  If so - let me know how the crowd reacted - and which geographic region you are talking about.

Thanks.

I play it w/ my "fun cover band". I use a sustainer pickup for the solo and it sounds identical. People are ambivalent about the tune. The band takes itself too seriously, it's a song that should be played by an 80s band doing shticky fun stuff all night ("Turning Japanese", Flock of Seagulls.... crap like that). Instead the next song is "Barracuda" followed by "The Ocean". It doesn't work for that band ~ but could for some band. I'm in Nashville BTW (where everyone is ambivalent about everything unless it's a band you're suppose to care about)

• Members

benzem wrote:

BUT, no way "Foolin yourself" or "Grand Illusion" are danceable, and they aren't exactly well known either. May work for an acoustic thing.

Kinda where I was going as well with my comment about all depending on your show presentation.  Tricky tunes those two because they don't fit the party vibe, but they don't really fit the rock show vibe either.  Have a hard time picturing those getting asses shaking, or heads a bangin.  (disclaimer: never tried, so whutta I know?)  I could, however, see Too Much Time working in both though.

I've always had a closet desire to cover Suite Madame Blue myself.

• Members

We debuted Too Much Time On My Hands for the first time last night and I'd say it was mediocre.  I think we need to speed it up just a bit from the record tempo.  We play almost strictly second generation classic rock / arena rock so we do a few Styx tunes to include Renegade and Blue Collar.  I'd would say Renegade consistently gets the best reponse although Blue Collar is not bad.  We actually opened up with blue collar for a few months awhile back.  I don't have any video of Too Much Time yet but if anyone wants to check it out, below is a link of us doing Blue Collar

• Members

jdboyl72 wrote:

We debuted Too Much Time On My Hands for the first time last night and I'd say it was mediocre.  I think we need to speed it up just a bit from the record tempo.  We play almost strictly second generation classic rock / arena rock so we do a few Styx tunes to include Renegade and Blue Collar.  I'd would say Renegade consistently gets the best reponse although Blue Collar is not bad.  We actually opened up with blue collar for a few months awhile back.  I don't have any video of Too Much Time yet but if anyone wants to check it out, below is a link of us doing Blue Collar

Great band.  The starship video is impressive.

Archived