Bar Manager caught a band in a lie (not my band)

jeff42

• Members

FYI: NOT MY BAND I just found this online.

Found this on a FB group. Thought I would share. I do know the people involved and I think its a pretty awful way to get out of a gig just to take another that pays more...

Here is the post from the Bar Manager:

What do you guys think is the proper response to a band that cancels a gig 3x in a row, for no apparent reason. Each at the last minute so you can't reschedule. On the last one, this is what happens. You're told by the guitar player/band leader that he had to leave his gig tonight.... His dad had a heart attack. On his way to the hospital-Texting you on wife's phone. Im so sorry im not going make it tomorrow. Will call you from the hospital. I will try to find someone for you for tomorrow.

Now you don't want to question this tragedy, but out of curiosity you check their schedule, they booked at another place, but at a different time than your arranged gig. You figure, that's cancelled as well.

The next day around noon you attempt to speak to the person, and find out what is going on I TXT: is everything ok?

I am Txt back:

"In icu cant call sorry i cant chance leaving"

Something doesn't seem right, so I make a trip to the other venue he was scheduled at and there he is! Paying an afternoon show!

He had the nerve to act like, he didn't know who I was at 1st.

I said to him, "I guess your Dad got better in a hurry." He had the balls to say, it's not what it looks like. To which I said, "Really? What's it look like?" He asked if he could talk at a set break, I walked out.

I don't think that's right at all, especially because this guy is a professional, working for a major media agency. Using that as an excuse is pretty low class. I understand getting paid more money to play somewhere else. But, why wait till the last minute to tell you? Especially when your nothing but nice to them. My big thing though is using that as an excuse. That's just shameful.

Enjoy! And discuss...

• Members

For every sketchy venue there's a flakey band.

As a sound provider, I'm first come first served. With my clients, there isn't even the smallest inkling a gig isn't going to happen. When I'm booked I'm booked. I can't be "Joe Blow Sound, unless something better comes along"

I've only had a few interest in dates that I had to turn down. Believe it it hurt last May doing a bar gig for $300 and turning down the grad ceremony for $2,000, but its first come first served.

This year I hunted down The Grad Ceremony in sept, and locked it in for this year. It has the potential to become a yearly gig. But like I said, first come first served.

I wouldn't blame the manager from blacklisting the band. A band wouldn't stand for getting cancelled 3 times in a row I'm sure.

• Members

What can u say?  Bands/musos like that make us all look bad.  I can't blame the manager for posting it either.. he should have named the band and additionally complained to the media agency and ended their BS for good.  I've had that same crap from a singer recently, but more like bailed on a gig because he was too hungover, etc.. claimed he was deathly ill... his own GF ratted him out.

• Members

We book out 4-6 months in advance. I feel that rescheduling bar gigs that are 4-6 months away is ok if we have to. That is different IMO than what this guy did.

The place he was supposed to play at doesn't pay well (for what his band gets elsewhere) and is average for us. But DAMN is it a fun place to play! This band has been gigging there for awhile now and If this band guy wasn't happy with the money they were making he should have walked away and not booked any more gigs there.

I hope the bar manager DOES complain to the agency and does post the band name and teh band leader's name. (I know who he is talking about but I won't be the one outing them)

• Members

Kramerguy wrote:

I've had that same crap from a singer recently, but more like bailed on a gig because he was too hungover, etc.. claimed he was deathly ill... his own GF ratted him out.

OMG everytime I play a "full weekend" I am almost ALWAYS hungover for Saturday's gig... LOL. I blame it on the Friday night crowd. 

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

FYI: NOT MY BAND I just found this online.

Found this on a FB group. Thought I would share. I do know the people involved and I think its a pretty awful way to get out of a gig just to take another that pays more...

Here is the post from the Bar Manager:

What do you guys think is the proper response to a band that cancels a gig 3x in a row, for no apparent reason. Each at the last minute so you can't reschedule. On the last one, this is what happens. You're told by the guitar player/band leader that he had to leave his gig tonight.... His dad had a heart attack. On his way to the hospital-Texting you on wife's phone. Im so sorry im not going make it tomorrow. Will call you from the hospital. I will try to find someone for you for tomorrow.

Now you don't want to question this tragedy, but out of curiosity you check their schedule, they booked at another place, but at a different time than your arranged gig. You figure, that's cancelled as well.

The next day around noon you attempt to speak to the person, and find out what is going on I TXT: is everything ok?

I am Txt back:

"In icu cant call sorry i cant chance leaving"

Something doesn't seem right, so I make a trip to the other venue he was scheduled at and there he is! Paying an afternoon show!

He had the nerve to act like, he didn't know who I was at 1st.

I said to him, "I guess your Dad got better in a hurry." He had the balls to say, it's not what it looks like. To which I said, "Really? What's it look like?" He asked if he could talk at a set break, I walked out.

I don't think that's right at all, especially because this guy is a professional, working for a major media agency. Using that as an excuse is pretty low class. I understand getting paid more money to play somewhere else. But, why wait till the last minute to tell you? Especially when your nothing but nice to them. My big thing though is using that as an excuse. That's just shameful.

Enjoy! And discuss...

I want to find this post just so I can click the Like button!

• Members

I hate when clubs do things like this to bands... and I equally hate it when bands do things like this to clubs.

I out and out refuse to cancel a gig for a higher paying one, unless I'm upfront with everyone involved about it, can help the other gig find a replacement, and there is enough time beforehand for the club I'm cancelling to find a SUITABLE replacement band.

But.. I also know that not every band (or agent) is like that....

• Members

The BBB, even in an applicable scenario (like a mortgage company or a mechanic.... Not a band) has become a Blockbuster Video of that industry. Between Angie's list, yelp and google BBB doesn't really matter anymore.with regards to bands? Yeah, about as brilliant as being a Katrina and the waves tribute band.

Archived