Putting the cart ahead of the horse?

stangconv

• Members

Well my last band I was in we went from $600 for a 2 night weekend show to $1200-1500 a night while I was with them. I was the one who pushed for a sound man, merchandise, and different ways to get in the local media. This took over the course of over a year.

Now I am in a new band, and we are every bit as good,with the potential to be better. (2 good singers, makes and female) we have only played 2 shows but the last one was higher profile and we got TONS of great feedback, and more gig oppurtunities are rolling in. Im wanting to get shirts made up, an stickers to sell, as well as hire a videographer to do up a promo vid for us.

Is it too early for that stuff after 2 shows? My opinion is noone is going to take you for a professional unless you act like a professional. But on the other hand I realize can sometimes be TOO driven to push forward too fast.

I'm thinking that by putting on a top notch show (which we do IMO) and getting all this stuff done now.(website, merch, promo vid etc) we can fast track our timeline.

I'm rambling and wondering wether I'm pushing to fast to soon

• Members

stangconv wrote:

Well my last band I was in we went from $600 for a 2 night weekend show to $1200-1500 a night while I was with them. I was the one who pushed for a sound man, merchandise, and different ways to get in the local media. This took over the course of over a year.

Now I am in a new band, and we are every bit as good,with the potential to be better. (2 good singers, makes and female) we have only played 2 shows but the last one was higher profile and we got TONS of great feedback, and more gig oppurtunities are rolling in. Im wanting to get shirts made up, an stickers to sell, as well as hire a videographer to do up a promo vid for us.

Is it too early for that stuff after 2 shows? My opinion is noone is going to take you for a professional unless you act like a professional. But on the other hand I realize can sometimes be TOO driven to push forward too fast.

I'm thinking that by putting on a top notch show (which we do IMO) and getting all this stuff done now.(website, merch, promo vid etc) we can fast track our timeline.

You sound like me. That being said, I'll simply say this: if you have the time, the means, and the drive to do all of that, then do all of that. Better to have it and not need it then the other way around! thumb.gif

• Members

stangconv wrote:

This is a large part of the reason that I decided that the other singer and I were going to "own" the band, and run it like a business. Those decisions are ours to make, and the bassist and drummer we hire know going into it that they'll have to be on board with things to "up the value" of the group whenever possible.

Archived