New Live Setup Overview + Qs

whoback

• Members

Is your plan to feed the outputs of your Focusrite to a soundman to patch into a PA?

As a soundman, I have worked with a few all DI bands with very mixed results. Most have sounded like crap. This is not the same as a traditional live band where you can just grab a soundman and go. The soundman has NOTHING he can work with other than what you send him. If you send him sh|t, that is how it will sound out front. So you really need to make sure that you are feeding him the proper signals for a live system (i.e. just because it sounds good in your headphones, doesn't mean it will sound good through the PA).

Unless you have a good soundman at your disposal to work out the details and a PA to work it through, you have a MUCH better chance of poor results than you'd think. But if you do have the resources to work everything out, this can produce some very repeatable results.

Now, I am just talking about the concepts of an all DI band. Whether or not your specific choice of equipment and proposed configurations are the best or proper to go with... well that is a whole nother thing.

• Members

@vablows - I see your point. I would counter that we are playing and singing these songs... Which we also wrote ourselves. We are a completely different thing than a dj which is why someone would hire us. I realize that a silent stage won't have the same vibe, but it should give foh an eaiser job in theory. That's what I was thinking. Minimize feedback, stage volume, gear & justhave foh do foh no monitors. Also just a note, in my experience, DJs typically make more than live bands. So much in fact I've often contemplated picking up some cdjs and a djm and going to town...

• Members

Mutha - all of our signals will be split before they hit the interface. Sound man will have full control over foh mix of 2 keys, bass, 2 gtr and 3 vox. interface is only for mixing of in ears and playback of tracks which you can see we have separate outs for each channel, essentially giving foh full control. Do you see any issues with my proposed setup specifically? I liked thepoint vablows raised about the missing vibe factor.

Archived