Cool Gig Coming Up

dan88z

• Members

In the "city" near where I live there is an old movie theater that was renovated and turned into a World Cafe Live venue, World Cafe Live at the Queen. They have 2 rooms, 1 smaller 180 person that I recently played with my hippy band, and then the main theater that can hold close to 1000 people. Every year they do various fundraisers for the place. One of the big ones is called Shine a Light on the Queen. It involves 40 musicians or so, playing a night of Rolling Stones songs. Each song has different players rotating on and off stage, different singers, etc. I know the guys who run it and a couple guys from my hippy band did it last year. I would have done it but I had another gig. This year I made sure I was available. I got assigned 6 songs. 5 I had never heard before. I ended up sitting in on a few other tunes as well at the final run thru on Sunday.

The show has been sold out for weeks at $50 a ticket.

There are 6 keyboard players taking part. One guy has an old Hammond/Leslie they are using, and we're going to set up my S70XS as the "piano" rig, and use my Nord/Ventilator setup as backup for the Hammond (since it's 50 years old).

There is a final dress rehearsal/run thru on Saturday afternoon and the show is Saturday night. The coordination involved in getting 40+ musicians on and off stage is massive, and has been done impressively. The rehearsal sounded great and the show is going to be a killer.

Here's the set list (I put a * next to the one's I'm playing on- I'm playing Hammond on everything except for the choir part backing up the girl singers on Can't Always Get):

Everybody Needs Someone to love *
Happy
Its Only Rock and Roll
Loving Cup
Bitch
I Got The Blues
Sympathy for the Devil
Time Waits For No One
Let It Bleed
Rip This Joint
Torn and Frayed
Tumbling Dice
Slave
Mothers Little Helper
Miss you *
Moonlight Mile
Dancing with Mr D
Champagne & Reefer
All Down The Line *
Thats How Strong My Love Is
Hand Of Fate *
Waiting On A Friend
Neighbors
You Got The Silver> *
Just Want To See His Face *
Memory Motel *
Let's Spend the Night Together
Can't Always Get What you Want *
Gimme Shelter
Ain't To Proud To Beg
Brown Sugar *
Some Girls
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction

• Members

dan88z wrote:

In the "city" near where I live there is an old movie theater that was renovated and turned into a World Cafe Live venue, World Cafe Live at the Queen. They have 2 rooms, 1 smaller 180 person that I recently played with my hippy band, and then the main theater that can hold close to 1000 people. Every year they do various fundraisers for the place. One of the big ones is called Shine a Light on the Queen. It involves 40 musicians or so, playing a night of Rolling Stones songs. Each song has different players rotating on and off stage, different singers, etc. I know the guys who run it and a couple guys from my hippy band did it last year. I would have done it but I had another gig. This year I made sure I was available. I got assigned 6 songs. 5 I had never heard before. I ended up sitting in on a few other tunes as well at the final run thru on Sunday.

The show has been sold out for weeks at $50 a ticket.

There are 6 keyboard players taking part. One guy has an old Hammond/Leslie they are using, and we're going to set up my S70XS as the "piano" rig, and use my Nord/Ventilator setup as backup for the Hammond (since it's 50 years old).

There is a final dress rehearsal/run thru on Saturday afternoon and the show is Saturday night. The coordination involved in getting 40+ musicians on and off stage is massive, and has been done impressively. The rehearsal sounded great and the show is going to be a killer.

Here's the set list (I put a * next to the one's I'm playing on- I'm playing Hammond on everything except for the choir part backing up the girl singers on Can't Always Get):
Everybody Needs Someone to love *
Happy
Its Only Rock and Roll
Loving Cup
Bitch
I Got The Blues
Sympathy for the Devil
Time Waits For No One
Let It Bleed
Rip This Joint
Torn and Frayed
Tumbling Dice
Slave
Mothers Little Helper
Miss you *
Moonlight Mile
Dancing with Mr D
Champagne & Reefer
All Down The Line *
Thats How Strong My Love Is
Hand Of Fate *
Waiting On A Friend
Neighbors
You Got The Silver> *
Just Want To See His Face *
Memory Motel *
Let's Spend the Night Together
Can't Always Get What you Want *
Gimme Shelter
Ain't To Proud To Beg
Brown Sugar *
Some Girls
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction

Sounds amazing Dan! I realize it's too late for this year, but how does one get in on this??

• Members

Awesome sounding gig Dan! Someone should have included "Paint It, Black" though. It's practically the only Stones song people under 25 know. Whenever I run karaoke for young adults, it's the only Stones song that ever comes up (and it gets sung a lot).

• Members

Sounds like a really cool gig, and a great concept.

Just curious....is that theater a "union" venue?   The reason I ask is, there's a nice theater like that here in town that is a great music venue, but they're contractually bound to use union labor at all shows.   Any and all equipment that gets carried in or out of the building or set up inside the building is handled by a union worker.   It's great for the union guys....but the labor cost means that only national artists and touring groups can afford to book performances.   It's simply too expensive for local artists and theater groups to put on a show there.

I was just curious whether this theater is the same way?

• Members

It's non union. It's a privately owned venue, with a restaurant, the smaller club venue, and the large room. I've rented my rig to touring bands there before and had no problems, and have played there before in the small room. No union thugs waiting to bash artist's heads for carrying their own guitar in!

Archived