Greetings! I'm a musician in the Atlanta area. I've played at some cool venues (the Earl, Hard Rock, GA Theatre in Athens) and I've made quite a few connections in the Atlanta area. I frequent various open mics and I know the city's music scene very well, however, there's something missing.
I'm originally from Chicago and maybe it's because I'm a Yankee at heart, but something about Atlanta's music scene is not challenging to me. And many aspects of the living in the south are simply bass ackwards so to speak...I really like Atlanta, but I sense more of a challenge and reputation to be made in a bigger city like Chicago.
I've got a few questions for the Chicago musicians before making any big moves towards the Windy City
- How is the music scene in Chicago? Can you make a meager, maybe even comfortable living from playing gigs and session work?
- What kind of opportunities are there to score films? Is there a network for these things ie do I need to be enrolled as a film score/music composition student?
- What are greater starter music venues (venues with 150 ppl capacity or less) for indie rock/garage rock bands in Chicago?
- What music organizations and unions can I join as an individual to increase my visibility and net worth as a professional musician?
- Which teachers and music stores have the most comprehensive guitar and music theory lessons?
- What local periodicals should I be listing my band's shows in? Where are the best open mics in town?
- Last but not least, WHERE should I live if I want to be no more than 15-20 mins from downtown/epicenter of cultural activities and I don't want to kill my pocketbook?
Thanks for the help!