Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 1099? Really?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A 1099? Really?

    We just dropped one of our biggest rooms... they want the band and everyone that works for the band (sound and lights) to fill out a 1099 for tax purposes. This is not something anyone in the band wants to deal with. It is simply not worth it to us. So, we politely parted ways.

    Have any of you had to deal with this? What did you do?

    I wonder if they ask their plumber to fill out a tax form? What about the guys that plow the parking lot? Why is it that they feel the need to treat a band like this instead of as they do for any other contractor?

    Thoughts?

     

    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. -Will Rogershttp://facebook.com/SpitShineRocks

  • #2
    Pretty common for heavily booked clubs. Not sure how strict, but if they are claiming the bands as a business expense, then they have to. It shouldn't be a big deal for your band. If you don't run it as a business, then you can claim it as a hobby, and as long as you have expenses that are equal to or greater than the 1099 amount, then you won't be paying any more on April 15.

    Comment


    • #3

      A 1099 is for contractors, not for paid employees.  I'm sure most of those other guys are getting 1099s too.  If not, they should be.

      Is the really the first time you've been hit up with a 1099?  Any business that doesn't 1099 the money he shows going out to independent contractors then has no way to deduct that expense from his taxes.  

      _________________________________________________
      band websites:
      http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
      https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start
      https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
      http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

      Comment


      • guido61
        guido61 commented
        Editing a comment

        Weird that they'd want everyone in the band to fill it out though.  Usually they just 1099 the person they make the check out to.


    • #4

      If you make over $500 from a client, promoter, etc., then they're required to send a 1099 receipt of wages to you for tax purposes at the end of the year. In order for them to do that, they need you to fill out a 1099 form if you're going to sub-contract for them. If it's going to be a situation where you're going to make less than $500 doing work for them for the year, they don't have to do that.

      Comment


      • modulusman
        modulusman commented
        Editing a comment

         Time to quit playing music or to start being honest and declaring your income. It pisses me off when some loser band underbids on a gig because they don't take into consideration the taxes they owe.


      • mstreck
        mstreck commented
        Editing a comment

        Pretty common for me.


      • tlbonehead
        tlbonehead commented
        Editing a comment
        isn't it $600 and up?

    • #5
      If they don't file a 1099 on you then they cannot deduct the money that they pay you which would hold them to pay the taxes on it.

      If their plumber submits an invoice as a business then they don't need to 1099 him. But if they "hire" him as an independent contractor then they do.
      Don Boomer

      Comment


      • #6

        Mutha Goose wrote:

        We just dropped one of our biggest rooms... they want the band and everyone that works for the band (sound and lights) to fill out a 1099 for tax purposes. This is not something anyone in the band wants to deal with. It is simply not worth it to us. So, we politely parted ways.

        Have any of you had to deal with this? What did you do?

        I wonder if they ask their plumber to fill out a tax form? What about the guys that plow the parking lot? Why is it that they feel the need to treat a band like this instead of as they do for any other contractor?

        Thoughts? 


        Are you sure you want to hear what most of think on this one?

        Getting mildly indignant about a venue that conducts their business completely on the up and up (i.e.,issuing you the appropriate tax reporting forms) - because they won't make it easy for you and your bandmates to steal is a pretty slimy approach to life. 

        I compare you position on this to the slimeball I knew in college who got pissed at his roommates when they wouldn't help him shoplift, swap price tags/barcodes, sneak into venues by opening fire exits, etc.   If you get paid in cash - and choose not to report it - that's your call.   But getting pissy because folks who do conduct their business legitimately is downright slimy.

        The SpaceNorman

        www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
        www.souldoutrocks.com

        Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
        Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
        Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

        Comment


        • BassPlayer85
          BassPlayer85 commented
          Editing a comment

          SpaceNorman wrote:

          Mutha Goose wrote:

          We just dropped one of our biggest rooms... they want the band and everyone that works for the band (sound and lights) to fill out a 1099 for tax purposes. This is not something anyone in the band wants to deal with. It is simply not worth it to us. So, we politely parted ways.

          Have any of you had to deal with this? What did you do?

          I wonder if they ask their plumber to fill out a tax form? What about the guys that plow the parking lot? Why is it that they feel the need to treat a band like this instead of as they do for any other contractor?

          Thoughts? 


          Are you sure you want to hear what most of think on this one?

          Getting mildly indignant about a venue that conducts their business completely on the up and up (i.e.,issuing you the appropriate tax reporting forms) - because they won't make it easy for you and your bandmates to steal is a pretty slimy approach to life. 

          I compare you position on this to the slimeball I knew in college who got pissed at his roommates when they wouldn't help him shoplift, swap price tags/barcodes, sneak into venues by opening fire exits, etc.   If you get paid in cash - and choose not to report it - that's your call.   But getting pissy because folks who do conduct their business legitimately is downright slimy.


           

           "Are you sure you want to hear what most of think on this one?" i've been lurking here forever and you and a couple of others are the only ones that comment on this topic all the time. trust me you do not represent most.

          god bless you for paying taxes on your beer money from the pub. aren't you guys honest americans. rock bands- doing blow, doing chicks, drinking booze and oh yeah- running home and doing their taxes from the night before.

          seriously- have you ever paid someone in cash to work on your car or do sidework on your house?


        • Mutha Goose
          Mutha Goose commented
          Editing a comment

          SpaceNorman wrote:

          Mutha Goose wrote:

          We just dropped one of our biggest rooms... they want the band and everyone that works for the band (sound and lights) to fill out a 1099 for tax purposes. This is not something anyone in the band wants to deal with. It is simply not worth it to us. So, we politely parted ways.

          Have any of you had to deal with this? What did you do?

          I wonder if they ask their plumber to fill out a tax form? What about the guys that plow the parking lot? Why is it that they feel the need to treat a band like this instead of as they do for any other contractor?

          Thoughts? 


          Are you sure you want to hear what most of think on this one?

          Getting mildly indignant about a venue that conducts their business completely on the up and up (i.e.,issuing you the appropriate tax reporting forms) - because they won't make it easy for you and your bandmates to steal is a pretty slimy approach to life. 

          I compare you position on this to the slimeball I knew in college who got pissed at his roommates when they wouldn't help him shoplift, swap price tags/barcodes, sneak into venues by opening fire exits, etc.   If you get paid in cash - and choose not to report it - that's your call.   But getting pissy because folks who do conduct their business legitimately is downright slimy.


          DAMN! Judgmental much? I'm completely shocked at this. Excuse me while I bow to your awesomeness and righteousness.

          So, please tell me Mr.. Perfect: how does, "..so we politely parted ways..." become "pissy"? How do you interpret, "...it is not worth it to US..." as me being "...indignant about a venue..."?

          As to you calling me a slimball because I asked a question... I don't think I need to type my response, but even you should be able to figure out the sentiment.

          I have been performing for over 30 years. This is the 2nd or 3rd time in all of that time that someone has asked for tax info from me, which is why I asked the question... to find out how common this is to other people. Yeah, I can see how wanting to know more makes me a slimeball. :manindifferent:


      • #7

        Comment


        • #8

          Just to be clear the 1099 is only required if the receipient of the money is NOT a corporation or LLC. If the band is a Corp or LLC they just need an invoice or receipt from it to legally pay you.


          "We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

          Comment


          • FitchFY
            FitchFY commented
            Editing a comment

            RoadRanger wrote:

            Just to be clear the 1099 is only required if the receipient of the money is NOT a corporation or LLC. If the band is a Corp or LLC they just need an invoice or receipt from it to legally pay you.


            Very interesting and useful chunk of info right there...

            I still maintain that if your band goes "legit" and becomes a business, it's worth talking to a lawyer about what to do for taxes and what not. The cash spent upfront to get the proper advice is probably worth it in the long run to know you're above the law line.


        • #9
          Even most of the indecent ones here do 'em.
          _________________________________________________
          band websites:
          http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
          https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start
          https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
          http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

          Comment


          • #10

             I am tired of you and this bull****************. Believe what you want. Have a nice day.

            Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. -Will Rogershttp://facebook.com/SpitShineRocks

            Comment


            • #11

              I think it's safe to say that all of us are going to be seeing more and more of this.   Times are changing.  Businesses are having their feet held to the fire in terms of reporting.   The IRS is agressively scrutinizing businesses that operate in what have traditionally been "cash" industries to ensure they're collecting all the revenue that is legally owed. 

              Be prepared.  If you're not receiving 1099's for your gigs today ... sooner or later you will be!   More and more venues that never issued 1099's to bands in the past are starting to these days.

              The SpaceNorman

              www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
              www.souldoutrocks.com

              Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
              Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
              Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

              Comment


              • MartinC
                MartinC commented
                Editing a comment

                I get 1099's every year from my agents, and I have received them from individual clients at corporates. I played in one club for two years and they issued a 1099.  I don't know if I ever got one from a bar-I don't think so.  A friend of mine was recently auditied and they not only wanted the 1099's he issued, but w9's as well.

                Walking away from a gig because they want to 1099 you means you weren't charging them enough to pay your taxes or you don't want to pay them.  Is there any other reason?

                I spent a lot of years mostly playing music, thinking about playing music, or trying to play music, and I didn't make much money. Things have changed for me, and the amount of tax revenue I contribute is these days is, well, incredibly messed up. That's my opinion, so I don't begrudge anyone who thinks that 50.00 from the club is all theirs. But when you start getting several hundred dollars for a gig, you kind of realize that no one is going to pick up your tax bill. And if you only make 100.00 a night in a club once a week, that's still 5k a year, and the club does want to deduct that expense regardless of if they are skimming the till or not.

                I agree with spacenorman that things are getting tighter.  I actually voted for Obama, even though I knew that he was going to go after tax dollars the same way he went after terrorists. He's coming for your money with drones baby, so be prepared. Keep records of everything, learn about the tax laws, and don't spend Obama's money. Either that, or filch your ass off, and hope the man don't come knocking.

                 



            Working...
            X