Finally getting our own lights...

mstreck

• Members

Our light guy is now playing bass for another band so we're on our own after next week's gig. Hazer and fluid should arrive today and I just ordered an Obey 70 and a Fusion FX Tri Bar to add to the 8 par cans that we already have. If my tax refund comes in soon enough, we'll be able to fill in the rest of our truss as well as get some front lighting - hopefully before our March gigs. thumb.gif

• Members

The fusion FX Bar Tri and the Fusion FX Bar 3 (the white pinspot one) are both pretty cool fixtures.  I thought all the Fusion stuff was way over priced initially; however, the prices have really come down making them a pretty good buy for what they are.  The FX Tri was actually on the MF deal of the day for $99 a few weeks ago.  At that price I even considered buying them.  I think 3 of those on a back 10 foot truss with the use of haze would look good.  You'd get both wash and hard edge beams in one fixture; albeit the wash is limited to RGB.  I actually own three of the FX Bar 3's; however, I'm finding my self using them less and less.  They are actually way heavier than you'd think they would be. 

Also, good choice on the Obey 70; it seems like a lot of people recommend the 40 but I really like the 70 for several reasons.  IMO, the joystick really helps with the pan/tilt action of moving heads.  Second, I like the 14 faders (instead of 8) because the more faders you have, the more you can assign single faders to control individual fixture attributes, which IMO makes live control much better and programming a little bit easier.  With that said I'm finding myself "outgrowing" my obey 70 but I got alot of mileage out of it and definitely do not regret purchasing it.

Are the par cans you have conventional or LED? 

• Members

The PAR cans are conventional, but I have two DMX dimmer packs to control them.

I plan on buying either another FX Bar Tri, a Fusion FX Bar 3, or both. I also want two scanners, but haven't decided exactly what they will be yet.

The Lighting forum guys suggested Fab5s or Q6As for front lighting. I'll probably go with the Fab5s for the amber and white diodes.

Tossing around the idea of blinders, but what I outlined above should really be enough.

• Members

+1 on the regular pars up front. I dim ours way down and aim them at our upper bodies. Not so hot that way and we don't look alien in color when washes are going around us.

Usually I will have them on a complete different controller so they always stay on us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Haha! That bothers me, too. I tried that when I first got them. Because of the way they're clamped, it was too hard to get them to line up horizontally. I'm just gonna go with the flow so the are at least in the same horizontal plane.

• Members

Nice look! Remember my band's first lights, borrowed from a movie set...1000 watt krieg lights. Stage was like a sauna bath. Are these hotties?

Member since 2000 (b1ackie) but kicked off in 2010, HC couldn't handle the change to my new email provider, Here anonymously.

Archived