So weird to be chilling at the house at 8 PM on a gig night!

• Members

... I'm so used to getting there, setting up, checking things out, and playing the show starting at 9:30 or 10.

Tonights gig.. we had to be setup and soundchecked (running our MixWiz into the house PA.. and they have house lights) before 4 PM. Of course.. my girlfriend sends me a text at 3:30 with a picture of a package (an amp sim to replace my combo amp).... and now I gotta wait till tomorrow to use it (or even check it out, as my guitars and cables are at the gig)!

So it's been done.. I ran around to a few other local venues to shake hands and say hi to the people who book the bands.. and now I'm just kicked back, getting ready to head out to the venue in about 30 minutes or so. When I get there.. I'll just be singing and playing guitar really, maybe slightly tweaking the PA.. but I'm so used to playing the MIDI switch for the lightboard almost as a second instrument. 

Still.. despite the different vibe to the day, here's hoping this turns into a great gig night.... it's a LONG day for a gig that isn't one of the higher paying ones... but it should be a busy room and a fun time!

• Members

Blackbird 13 wrote:

... I'm so used to getting there, setting up, checking things out, and playing the show starting at 9:30 or 10.   Tonights gig.. we had to be setup and soundchecked (running our MixWiz into the house PA.. and they have house lights) before 4 PM.

I love early setups that leave enough time between setup and the start of the gig to go home, take a nap, grap dinner, take a shower, etc. - and then stroll into the gig in time to start playing.   Obviously, mandatory early setups when there's a long drive involved suck - but something close to home?  Those are my favorites!   I love having a little time to liesurely get my rock star on!

• Members

SpaceNorman wrote:

Blackbird 13 wrote:

... I'm so used to getting there, setting up, checking things out, and playing the show starting at 9:30 or 10.   Tonights gig.. we had to be setup and soundchecked (running our MixWiz into the house PA.. and they have house lights) before 4 PM.

I love early setups that leave enough time between setup and the start of the gig to go home, take a nap, grap dinner, take a shower, etc. - and then stroll into the gig in time to start playing.   Obviously, mandatory early setups when there's a long drive involved suck - but something close to home?  Those are my favorites!   I love having a little time to liesurely get my rock star on!

I don't know about wanting to go back home, but I HATE rushing to get set up and having to go right on stage.  I prefer to have an hour or so between finishing soundcheck and starting.  Maybe 2 hours if I'm going to eat in between. 

When I was younger I used to be able (actually preferred) to stuff myself just before I went on stage.   Now I'd probably blow chunks all over the stage if I did that.....

• Members

Nice! Sometimes I do a sound gig right after work, I work til 5:30pm. Did one last night. So on wed, I Load my gear into the venue. They have a little karaoke nook, that has room for me to store my gear.

I load in on wed, because I teach guitar thurs. then I head there right after work. I timed it yesterday and it took me an hour to set up, so that's pretty good. I save a bunch of time by loading in a day or two before.

I much prefer doing a gig when I don't work that day. Then I can roll in around noon, it takes a couple hours, but then I have time to chill, go home etc.

Archived