Sketchy bar owners

roamingbard13

• Members

It's finally happened to us -- I guess we are probably lucky for a relatively new band in our area (just under 2 years gigging).

We were finally booked in one of the better rooms in the area -- house sound and lights, decent sized space. We had a decent turnout for the winter for us, I'd say we brought between 30-35 people who would not have been there without us.

After our first set, with the bar not full but busy all the same (according to the sound guy), the bartender calls our lead singer over and tells him that they cannot paid our agreed upon price. They tell us that they will pay $100 less and take care of our tab, and we aren't big drinkers. Our lead singer shows her all of our communication with the owner saying what our guarantee was, and she just shrugs and says thats what the owner said to do as he left.

We go play our second set -- not as tight as we should be in spots because we kept thinking about the money. After the set, we have a quick band meeting and decided that it would do us no good to argue with the bartender -- we'd take what they would give us, and then take it up with the owner this morning. We grabbed another round of drinks figuring that we would try to even it out a little bit.

Once we are all packed up, our lead singer goes to settle our fee. The bartender hands us $160 less than what we agreed to, saying that the owner told her to take the tab out of our guarantee. At this point, our lead singer was incensed but just took the money.

Really {censored}ty feeling this morning. We were excited to play there, and we sounded great. We have another date (the sound guy's birthday) in January. If the owner doesn't make things right, we won't play.

How common is this? All of the owners/managers we have dealt with have been straight shooters and generally nice guys. I just can't believe that the owner would put his bartender in that position.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by roamingbard13 View Post
It's finally happened to us -- I guess we are probably lucky for a relatively new band in our area (just under 2 years gigging).

We were finally booked in one of the better rooms in the area -- house sound and lights, decent sized space. We had a decent turnout for the winter for us, I'd say we brought between 30-35 people who would not have been there without us.

After our first set, with the bar not full but busy all the same (according to the sound guy), the bartender calls our lead singer over and tells him that they cannot paid our agreed upon price. They tell us that they will pay $100 less and take care of our tab, and we aren't big drinkers. Our lead singer shows her all of our communication with the owner saying what our guarantee was, and she just shrugs and says thats what the owner said to do as he left.

We go play our second set -- not as tight as we should be in spots because we kept thinking about the money. After the set, we have a quick band meeting and decided that it would do us no good to argue with the bartender -- we'd take what they would give us, and then take it up with the owner this morning. We grabbed another round of drinks figuring that we would try to even it out a little bit.

Once we are all packed up, our lead singer goes to settle our fee. The bartender hands us $160 less than what we agreed to, saying that the owner told her to take the tab out of our guarantee. At this point, our lead singer was incensed but just took the money.

Really {censored}ty feeling this morning. We were excited to play there, and we sounded great. We have another date (the sound guy's birthday) in January. If the owner doesn't make things right, we won't play.

How common is this? All of the owners/managers we have dealt with have been straight shooters and generally nice guys. I just can't believe that the owner would put his bartender in that position.

So it was communicated to you that you were going to get shafted to one degree, you played another set, then got shafted even more than you had been told...and you're going to play this place AGAIN in January?

• Members

So, this morning the lead singer sent this e-mail:

Hi Tim,

I wanted to thank you again for having us play last night. We enjoyed it
and are looking forward to playing again in January!

There was some confusion when we left last night with pay. I'm assuming it
was just a miscommunication, but we got $XXX.00 and our 60.00 tab paid for.
When we confirmed this date, we had an agreement that we were getting
$XXX.00 with no cover (it's in our email thread). I can swing by today to
pick up the difference. What time would be good for you?

Response:

Sorry about that. Come by when you can.

So he did. He picked up the difference, and the owner said he'd rather us come in on a Friday night when there is more of a built in crowd. Weird.

• Members

Had something very similar to that happen a while back, as the bartender was telling me this (and this happened at the end of the night) I replied "Huh, that's not the agreement I had with "owner", let me give him a call and see what's up." I pull out my phone and start to "call" when the bartender starts to backtrack and make up some lame excuses..... We got our agreed upon fee.

• Members

Yeah, welcome to being in a bar cover band. smile.gif There's a hundred ways you can play that game, but you guys did good by keeping your cool and going straight to the owner. Throwing a hissy fit and taking off will hurt your band as much as it hurts the bar. I'd say you did the pro thing, and it paid off. Good on you guys!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by urca

View Post

Had something very similar to that happen a while back, as the bartender was telling me this (and this happened at the end of the night) I replied "Huh, that's not the agreement I had with "owner", let me give him a call and see what's up." I pull out my phone and start to "call" when the bartender starts to backtrack and make up some lame excuses..... We got our agreed upon fee.

And how would you like the boss to be getting a call at 1 AM about a problem at the bar?

• Members

Early summer we played a small club, being we are a "newer" band at the time we would give a cheaper first time in the door rate to get us out there and promote ourselves. We played and got a good response, they even comped our meals, band members and spouses, along with the bar tab(even tho small) and was rebooked for a ocotber date. Upon arriving for the second gig, I was asked by the manager about the rate, knowinghe remember something about that the first time. I told him the rate...$5o higher only and they were good with that, and we set and proceeded to play. After the first set, I go up to the bar and get a beer, and was told the beer isnt comped anymore. The other members didnt get the message and a little upset about that. The meal we piad for also...but I did expect that. They were wanting us for new years, not sure thats gonna happen after I adjusted our price for new years and our drinks and meals...........I take things as a stepping block and keep moving, adjust as I go.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by urca

View Post

For some strange reason I find myself thinking that the bartender wanted to up his pay that night and thought that by ripping off that stupid band he would enhance his take-home pay without actually stealing from the till.......

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyknows

View Post

For some strange reason I find myself thinking that the bartender wanted to up his pay that night and thought that by ripping off that stupid band he would enhance his take-home pay without actually stealing from the till.......

^^^^^ Exactly what I was thinking.

• Members

A similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago. We played a place on New Year's Day (-10 degrees outside). Turnout wasn't bad--about 40 people through the night, positive response. At the end of the night, the bartender tells me it was a {censored}ty night and wants to know if the band is willing to "help out". I asked what that meant...it meant we take $200 less.

I tell him I need to talk to the manager. He said, "She doesn't want to talk to you, she's so pissed off about how bad the night was." At this point, my bull{censored} alarm is going off. I figure it's nuclear option time. Even though this is a good venue with great production, yadda yadda...if they're going to pull this {censored}, we're better off dumping it.

I tell him. "We're not interested in helping out." Without a word, he spins around, opens up the cash box, throws a bundle of cash at me, and walks away. I count it--it's the amount we were supposed to be paid--with $200 paper clipped separately from the rest.

I called a friend of mine the next day--he's been tending bar since the 70s. Describe the situation to him and he says, "That's the bartender trying to scam you. There wasn't enough business for him to skim the till, so he tried to make it up off of you."

He concluded by saying, "What do you get when you cross an elephant with a bartender? You get an elephant that steals."

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by race81 View Post
Early summer we played a small club, being we are a "newer" band at the time we would give a cheaper first time in the door rate to get us out there and promote ourselves. We played and got a good response, they even comped our meals, band members and spouses, along with the bar tab(even tho small) and was rebooked for a ocotber date. Upon arriving for the second gig, I was asked by the manager about the rate, knowinghe remember something about that the first time. I told him the rate...$5o higher only and they were good with that, and we set and proceeded to play. After the first set, I go up to the bar and get a beer, and was told the beer isnt comped anymore. The other members didnt get the message and a little upset about that. The meal we piad for also...but I did expect that. They were wanting us for new years, not sure thats gonna happen after I adjusted our price for new years and our drinks and meals...........I take things as a stepping block and keep moving, adjust as I go.
Be sure to negotiate it in. We played one place, and gave them a deal (at a band members insistence) we got food and drinks comped. Same thing. The next time we played for our full rate, and they ran tabs for everyone. That's cool with me. I'm not a big drinker/eater. So if I have a $30 tab and another member has an $80 tab, we still get our full rate.

NYE is out full NYE rate, plus 10 meals. (band members and spouses) I think drinks beyond supper will be on individual tabs, but I'm fine with that.

thumb.gif

• Members

Its hard to ask for more money once you've accepted less. You've shown your hand,period. I make it very clear..and repeat all aspects of the deal many time times to the principles involved. This is we will do for x money, I as a rule do not EVER include comp drinks or food..that my friends is the devils doorway for not getting paid properly. Take it from me, its a bad policy. Tell everyone in the band food/drink is available, but you have to pay for it. Period.
I am not going thru receipts at 3am to see how many imported beers the bassist drank, thank you. Oh and btw: you don't have to play places that think you're suckers, you know that, right? Bands need to SHARE what venues screwed them.,,,so that the venue will get the message. There are several places here on LI that always suck for live shows..and its because the dont pay anyone ever.
GtrGeorge

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by kmart

View Post

So it was communicated to you that you were going to get shafted to one degree, you played another set, then got shafted even more than you had been told...and you're going to play this place AGAIN in January?

Internet tough guy band advice.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
Internet tough guy band advice.
What's tough, exactly, or for that matter, not good advice, about cutting one's losses when things go beyond worthwhile?

Even if a band I played with found ourselves in the middle of a given night knowing we would be in some way shorted at the end of the night and all agreed to honor our commitment for THAT NIGHT and finish things out for THAT NIGHT, we would NOT be playing that same venue agiain, regardless of what sort of agreements had been reached between us and the venue: once the venue breaks the agreement for night 1, they've broken any future agreements as well.

There isn't one thing that's tough guy talk about my previous post.

• Members
thumb.gifthumb.gifI run Sound at various clubs in my area and even I get jerked around with pay from time to time. I'm glad to hear you guys got your agreed amount. You guys did a great job at being professional which is probably the reason the owner didnt give your singer a hard time. ALWAYS document through email or in writing what your pay will be if you ever want to go to small claims court this will be your saving grace.

• Members
thumb.gif @ handling the situation well. It's so tempting to get pissed and pissy in such situations and end up burning a bridge you don't really need to. We've all been there (and regretted it later), I'm sure. Good call on waiting to talk to the owner first. You certainly had nothing to lose by holding your fire except the 30 seconds of "feel good" you might have received by going off on the bartender.

A great example of why patience is a virtue.

Archived