No announcement yet.

Custom Drum Head

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Drum Head

Looking for help for our drummer to figure out what the best options are.

Looked at Drumart.com but he doesn't like the type of heads they use, and you can only get the one brand. They have the removal decal which goes for almost $100 including shipping...

Any ideas? Looking to get our logo on the drum head at a decent price and solid quality. Don't want it to looked hacked!
    Christian

SpaceCat
    www.spacecatband.com

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Originally Posted by wheresgrant3

Our singer is basically butchering the Grade A material into deli meat, but don't fear... the crowd is there for big sandwiches.

I'd implore your drummer to go with DrumArt. I've had numerous heads done by them, and though I'm no Aquarian fan, it's so worth it get the head to look the way they do with such fantastic service.

Though the reso head of a bass drum does certainly affect sound, this is one of those things that it's worth just rolling with -- I seriously will never do a printed head that isn't from DrumArt as long as I love. They are just that fantastic.
    Music, music, I hear music
    Fitch Drums - The Blog for the Aspiring Non-Professional Drummer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY
      View Post

I'd implore your drummer to go with DrumArt. I've had numerous heads done by them, and though I'm no Aquarian fan, it's so worth it get the head to look the way they do with such fantastic service.

Though the reso head of a bass drum does certainly affect sound, this is one of those things that it's worth just rolling with -- I seriously will never do a printed head that isn't from DrumArt as long as I love. They are just that fantastic.

Apparently that head just won't be right for his sound...whatever.

Looking into vinyl decals...site looks pretty cool...and only $40 for a 2 color design with sharp edges...which is what we have.
      Christian

SpaceCat
      www.spacecatband.com

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Our singer is basically butchering the Grade A material into deli meat, but don't fear... the crowd is there for big sandwiches.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19
        View Post

Apparently that head just won't be right for his sound...whatever.

Looking into vinyl decals...site looks pretty cool...and only $40 for a 2 color design with sharp edges...which is what we have.

If he thinks the head will affect his sound, wait until he slaps a vinyl cling onto his reso head. THEN he'll get an affected sound.

Good luck in your search, though - check out the Drum Forum; we've had this thread numerous times. (Side note: They all end up with DrumArt.com)

Comment

Ditto drumart.com. Those guys do a fantastic job. Looks great, easy to work with, and very durable.

As for your drummer whining about it affecting the tone of his freakin kick drum, slap him. Several times. Real hard.
          Band Website - www.tk-421.net

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/TK-421/43220964860

Myspace - www.myspace.com/tk421band

Buy our Noise - TK-421 - CDBaby

Spector Euro 4 > Eden WT800B > Original Ampeg 8x10

Pedals are for bicycles

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by THX1138
            View Post

Ditto drumart.com. Those guys do a fantastic job. Looks great, easy to work with, and very durable.

As for your drummer whining about it affecting the tone of his freakin kick drum, slap him. Several times. Real hard.

He says it's his tone but he's a total cheap ass. I don't mean that in a mean way...I love the guy. But he doesn't want to spend a dime on band expenses that HE doesn't think are worth it. Pitching in for a pro photo/video shoot, audio demo mixing, etc. Cool. But equipment and stuff like that? No way. The thing is he finally wants to do this...I'm find with whatever method he uses AS LONG AS it doesn't look hokey.

He says the drum head needs to be replaced annually and $100 a year is too much to spend. I had no idea the OUTER head has to be replaced every year...you're not even hitting the mf'er...
            Christian

SpaceCat
            www.spacecatband.com

Comment

Our drummer got a custom head with logo pretty cheap. I can't tell any difference in the sound.

Replacing front drum head every year? Uh. Okay. How about my 45 dollar bass strings that I swap out 3 or 4 or more times a year? C'mon dude: REALLY?

I mean: that's why we get PAID, right? Invest some if that back in your gear. Why make your other band mates suffer, wondering if your cheap **************** is ginna break down on the gig. Wtf that ain't fair to the fans or the band.

Does dude have an extra high hat clutch, kick pedal and snares? If not he's setting y'all up for a fail. Not cool.
              Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

View Post

He says the drum head needs to be replaced annually and $100 a year is too much to spend. I had no idea the OUTER head has to be replaced every year...you're not even hitting the mf'er...

Uhhh...... SPIT TAKE?

Yeah, that's 100% BS right there... you're going to have to rob him for this one.

Comment

One of the drummers that I work with in a "throw-together" project has a real unique approach to his "custom drum head". The project is one of those that is essentially a pool of musicians that come together when a gig happens to come along. We pull together our lineup based on the nature of the gig, the $$$ available and the who's available - come up with a band name ... and then knock out the gig. We've probably done 10-12 gigs over the past year - and never been the exact same line up and/or same band name twice.

My drummer buddy uses a simple white kick drum head - which he gives to his art student daughter a day or two before the gig. She in turn uses dry erase markers and create a custom drum head for each gig. She's very good at turning out distinctive drum head artwork using the dry erase markers.

The artwork certainly isn't durable - but it is unique and colorful. It's definitely not an approach for everybody - but if you've got some art talent - it could be something pretty cool.
                  The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
                  www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
                  Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
                  Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman
                    View Post

One of the drummers that I work with in a "throw-together" project has a real unique approach to his "custom drum head". The project is one of those that is essentially a pool of musicians that come together when a gig happens to come along. We pull together our lineup based on the nature of the gig, the $$$ available and the who's available - come up with a band name ... and then knock out the gig. We've probably done 10-12 gigs over the past year - and never been the exact same line up and/or same band name twice.

My drummer buddy uses a simple white kick drum head - which he gives to his art student daughter a day or two before the gig. She in turn uses dry erase markers and create a custom drum head for each gig. She's very good at turning out distinctive drum head artwork using the dry erase markers.

The artwork certainly isn't durable - but it is unique and colorful. It's definitely not an approach for everybody - but if you've got some art talent - it could be something pretty cool.

That's a neat idea. It would never work for us though. Nobody in the band is talented.
                    Christian

SpaceCat
                    www.spacecatband.com

Comment

View Post

Uhhh...... SPIT TAKE?

Yeah, that's 100% BS right there... you're going to have to rob him for this one.

I was thinking the same thing...but whatever. Honestly as long as we get the logo on the drum and it looks good, I don't care.
                      Christian

SpaceCat
                      www.spacecatband.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wades_keys
                        View Post

Our drummer got a custom head with logo pretty cheap. I can't tell any difference in the sound.

Replacing front drum head every year? Uh. Okay. How about my 45 dollar bass strings that I swap out 3 or 4 or more times a year? C'mon dude: REALLY?

I mean: that's why we get PAID, right? Invest some if that back in your gear. Why make your other band mates suffer, wondering if your cheap **************** is ginna break down on the gig. Wtf that ain't fair to the fans or the band.

Does dude have an extra high hat clutch, kick pedal and snares? If not he's setting y'all up for a fail. Not cool.

No it's not that he doesn't take care of his stuff...it's all in pristine shape and total pro quality. It's the investment into more gear and things of that nature that he resists pretty strongly...or only agrees to participate in if he thinks it's important enough. Kinda bugs me sometimes but on the important stuff, promo materials, etc, we're on the same page so it's not worth getting bent out of shape about.
                        Christian

SpaceCat
                        www.spacecatband.com

Comment

View Post

If he thinks the head will affect his sound, wait until he slaps a vinyl cling onto his reso head. THEN he'll get an affected sound.

Comment

View Post

on the important stuff, promo materials, etc, we're on the same page

Doesn't a custom drum head fall under "promo materials"? It does for us - and our band fund paid for ours.

Btw, our drummer wanted a kickport for it - he paid for that.
                            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                            My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

I'm a pro drummer and that statement to change the reso head annually is total bull****************. Just whining about spending some cheese. The batter head is the one that really counts!

Cheap SOB!!!
                              Summit111
                              "King Pa-Ka-Yea' Band"
                              "Old School Rock & Roll"

Comment

Working...
                              X