Custom Drum Head

guitarguy19

• Members

Looking for help for our drummer to figure out what the best options are.

Looked at Drumart.com but he doesn't like the type of heads they use, and you can only get the one brand. They have the removal decal which goes for almost $100 including shipping...

Any ideas? Looking to get our logo on the drum head at a decent price and solid quality. Don't want it to looked hacked!

• Members

I'd implore your drummer to go with DrumArt. I've had numerous heads done by them, and though I'm no Aquarian fan, it's so worth it get the head to look the way they do with such fantastic service.

Though the reso head of a bass drum does certainly affect sound, this is one of those things that it's worth just rolling with -- I seriously will never do a printed head that isn't from DrumArt as long as I love. They are just that fantastic. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post
I'd implore your drummer to go with DrumArt. I've had numerous heads done by them, and though I'm no Aquarian fan, it's so worth it get the head to look the way they do with such fantastic service.

Though the reso head of a bass drum does certainly affect sound, this is one of those things that it's worth just rolling with -- I seriously will never do a printed head that isn't from DrumArt as long as I love. They are just that fantastic. thumb.gif
Apparently that head just won't be right for his sound...whatever. icon_lol.gif

Looking into vinyl decals...site looks pretty cool...and only $40 for a 2 color design with sharp edges...which is what we have.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19 View Post
Apparently that head just won't be right for his sound...whatever. icon_lol.gif

Looking into vinyl decals...site looks pretty cool...and only $40 for a 2 color design with sharp edges...which is what we have.
If he thinks the head will affect his sound, wait until he slaps a vinyl cling onto his reso head. THEN he'll get an affected sound. facepalm.gif

Good luck in your search, though - check out the Drum Forum; we've had this thread numerous times. (Side note: They all end up with DrumArt.com) thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by THX1138 View Post
Ditto drumart.com. Those guys do a fantastic job. Looks great, easy to work with, and very durable.

As for your drummer whining about it affecting the tone of his freakin kick drum, slap him. Several times. Real hard.
He says it's his tone but he's a total cheap ass. I don't mean that in a mean way...I love the guy. But he doesn't want to spend a dime on band expenses that HE doesn't think are worth it. Pitching in for a pro photo/video shoot, audio demo mixing, etc. Cool. But equipment and stuff like that? No way. The thing is he finally wants to do this...I'm find with whatever method he uses AS LONG AS it doesn't look hokey.

He says the drum head needs to be replaced annually and $100 a year is too much to spend. I had no idea the OUTER head has to be replaced every year...you're not even hitting the mf'er... rolleyes.gif

• Members

Our drummer got a custom head with logo pretty cheap. I can't tell any difference in the sound.

Replacing front drum head every year? Uh. Okay. How about my 45 dollar bass strings that I swap out 3 or 4 or more times a year? C'mon dude: REALLY?

I mean: that's why we get PAID, right? Invest some if that back in your gear. Why make your other band mates suffer, wondering if your cheap {censored} is ginna break down on the gig. Wtf that ain't fair to the fans or the band.

Does dude have an extra high hat clutch, kick pedal and snares? If not he's setting y'all up for a fail. Not cool.

• Members
He says the drum head needs to be replaced annually and $100 a year is too much to spend. I had no idea the OUTER head has to be replaced every year...you're not even hitting the mf'er... rolleyes.gif
Uhhh...... SPIT TAKE? eek.gif

Yeah, that's 100% BS right there... you're going to have to rob him for this one. biggrin.gif

• Members

One of the drummers that I work with in a "throw-together" project has a real unique approach to his "custom drum head". The project is one of those that is essentially a pool of musicians that come together when a gig happens to come along. We pull together our lineup based on the nature of the gig, the $$$ available and the who's available - come up with a band name ... and then knock out the gig. We've probably done 10-12 gigs over the past year - and never been the exact same line up and/or same band name twice.

My drummer buddy uses a simple white kick drum head - which he gives to his art student daughter a day or two before the gig. She in turn uses dry erase markers and create a custom drum head for each gig. She's very good at turning out distinctive drum head artwork using the dry erase markers.

The artwork certainly isn't durable - but it is unique and colorful. It's definitely not an approach for everybody - but if you've got some art talent - it could be something pretty cool.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
One of the drummers that I work with in a "throw-together" project has a real unique approach to his "custom drum head". The project is one of those that is essentially a pool of musicians that come together when a gig happens to come along. We pull together our lineup based on the nature of the gig, the $$$ available and the who's available - come up with a band name ... and then knock out the gig. We've probably done 10-12 gigs over the past year - and never been the exact same line up and/or same band name twice.

My drummer buddy uses a simple white kick drum head - which he gives to his art student daughter a day or two before the gig. She in turn uses dry erase markers and create a custom drum head for each gig. She's very good at turning out distinctive drum head artwork using the dry erase markers.

The artwork certainly isn't durable - but it is unique and colorful. It's definitely not an approach for everybody - but if you've got some art talent - it could be something pretty cool.
That's a neat idea. It would never work for us though. Nobody in the band is talented. biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wades_keys View Post
Our drummer got a custom head with logo pretty cheap. I can't tell any difference in the sound.

Replacing front drum head every year? Uh. Okay. How about my 45 dollar bass strings that I swap out 3 or 4 or more times a year? C'mon dude: REALLY?

I mean: that's why we get PAID, right? Invest some if that back in your gear. Why make your other band mates suffer, wondering if your cheap {censored} is ginna break down on the gig. Wtf that ain't fair to the fans or the band.

Does dude have an extra high hat clutch, kick pedal and snares? If not he's setting y'all up for a fail. Not cool.
No it's not that he doesn't take care of his stuff...it's all in pristine shape and total pro quality. It's the investment into more gear and things of that nature that he resists pretty strongly...or only agrees to participate in if he thinks it's important enough. Kinda bugs me sometimes but on the important stuff, promo materials, etc, we're on the same page so it's not worth getting bent out of shape about.

• Members
on the important stuff, promo materials, etc, we're on the same page
Doesn't a custom drum head fall under "promo materials"? It does for us - and our band fund paid for ours.

Btw, our drummer wanted a kickport for it - he paid for that.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mstreck View Post
Doesn't a custom drum head fall under "promo materials"? It does for us - and our band fund paid for ours.

Btw, our drummer wanted a kickport for it - he paid for that.
Actually yeah man, I would've pitched in for it and I said that everyone else would as well...but he was pretty adamant about not using Drumart because he doesn't like those heads. Whatever. We got the logo from one of the vinyl sticker places. He bought it and gave me $10 extra for sizing up the artwork and taking care of the ordering. I'm happy.

I just hope the decal goes on smooth and looks good. freak.gif

• Members

Not that it matters now, but...
drumart.com

I'm not a fan of the particular brand of head they use either, but I'm not that stubborn, nor too stupid, to recognize the best in the business are just that for a reason.

I have three custom heads from them for a couple projects I play in; loyal customer at this pont for about five years, and. Wouldn't consider anyone else.

And yeah, it bears repeating: your drummer ain't going to hear squat difference that means anything by going with a different option vs. the brand of heads drumart.com uses once you do a full head w/art or a cling.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

If the drummer is reluctant, try to convice him that it could be good for the band.  Buddy Rich, Keith Moon, RIngo, and many other drummers had logos on their BD heads and they did okay.  However, I would not ridicule him too much if he decides not to do it.  Some things just are not worth the argument.

Archived