My favorite mashup of the week

• Members

n9ne wrote:

Classic!

I'm absolutely gonna have to steal this.

I don't know how well it would work in a live situation, unless you added in some lyrics/melody of "Call Me Maybe".  Not sure a live audience would get what you were doing otherwise.  But for the right crowd....

But I'm fascinated by how well that works and how it completely changes the tone/feel of the NiN vocal.  If nothing else, it's a good case study for how it doesn't matter how angry or intense your lyrics and vocal delivery are---if the music bed underneath doesn't support it properly, it's going to come across as something completely different. 

• Moderators

That's awesome. And it also illustrates something I've been talking about for a while now. You don't always have to cover the latest hits as much as cover classics in a modern palpable style. They're just songs. Great songs will always last, it's the beat and all the accoutrements that change with fashion.

I always looked at being in a cover band as a great opportunity to learn the latest styles and grooves. Learn to separate the two (Songs versus grooves) and your opportunities expand exponentially.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived