link between music and acting "scenes"

Kramerguy

• Members

Just a curiousity..

My wife watches all those {censored}ty reality shows, like real housewives, vanderpump rules, etc.. and let's face it, EVERY channel on basic cable has reality shows taking up most of their airtime 24/7.

Most of the "actors" on these shows are like small town band members, meaning, they don't have have the same acting skills as someone like bruce willis, or ian mckellan.. and these reality tv stars most likely work for peanuts.. I've read that one reason these shows are so popular is that the production costs are a fraction of what traditional TV shows like "friends" would cost.  And it's pretty obvious that the quality is poor in comparison.. I can honestly say that I would lay the "blame" of the invasion of poor-quality TV solely on at the feet of the viewers for accepting the rubbish.

So..  My thoughts were along the lines of all of us in the regional band scenes.. put our years of learning in, did the garage thing, more or less we paid our dues.  Then some band that should still be in the garage rolls into our fav place to play, offers to play for pennies or free beer, and we ultimately lose gigs, or lose fans, because of the quality level in general being lowered, and losing people who have better taste.

I haven't taken the time to venture onto actor/actress forums, but do you think they bitch about hacks the same way we do here?  Comparible?  I dunno, just a thought that crossed my mind!

• Members

It would make sense as a comparison if the lesser-talented bands were more popular than the more-talented bands, so bars and other places were making a killing off of those bands instead, thereby reducing our ability to make a living. I suppose it's closer to the DJs vs. Bands arguments on here (with DJs as the reality stars).

I'm sure there are actors that do talk a lot about the loss of work due to all the dumb reality shows. I know some have done so on camera and in print before. Not sure if there would be a forum for people that take acting seriously where they bitch and moan about amateurs and non-actors taking away work from them, but it's entirely possible.

• Members

I think that's. pretty good comparison in many ways. You could probably compare reality TV to DJs as well. I also know that much of Hollywood is upset about how much work reality TV takes away from "scripted" TV

But one of the upsides to all this is I think it's forced scripted TV to be better. There are some GREAT shows with amazing actors on TV these days.

Bands could do well to take a page from that and kick it up a notch

• Members

guido61 wrote:

But one of the upsides to all this is I think it's forced scripted TV to be better. There are some GREAT shows with amazing actors on TV these days.

Bands could do well to take a page from that and kick it up a notch

yes, there is a TON of great scripted TV today. IMO way more than say 15 years ago. The audience is fractured between a billion channels though.

Archived