Lead Singers Who 'Only Sing'

• Members

i've been trying to deal diplomatically with this same issue in both of my projects that i have in the works (one is a bar band playing covers, the other an original act), and so i can't help wondering whether it's me that's the common denominator problem rather than the 'lead singers' i encounter.

my question is this: Am i out to lunch for expecting a little more versatility from a prospective band member than merely vocals?

Is the pool of strong 'lead' singers really so small that they can get away with not playing an instrument, i.e., they 'only sing'? Or have i simply been having bad luck with these guys? I know that if i was looking to join a hockey team but informed them that 'i only play center ice and i do NOT kill penalties', clearly that would make me seem like a poor team player, and they would probably pass on me. Why do 'lead singers' think that they can get away with this?

part of the issue for me lies in the fact that i sing lead (i play bass and sing) on many songs in both bands. in both cases, when i asked the 'lead singer' what they would want to do during the songs that i sing (would you play guitar? keys? percussion?), they said that they would leave the stage and grab a beer or have a smoke, etc.. WTF??? wrong answer!

to me, this isn't a team move at all. if i'm supporting the main singer, i expect them to support me when i sing lead. i would sooner not sing at all rather than break up the chemistry of the team. if i was in the audience, it would look to me like the band was throwing the bassist some scraps and letting him sing a song because he would be butthurt if they didn't. shouldn't a 'full' band member play FULL time in the band? would ANY coach tolerate a player who stops hustling when they don't have the ball???

so: any tips on making this situation work? i would definitely like to have an additional vocalist in the band, but if that means either 1) i don't sing at all or 2) the 'lead' singer drinks / smokes / takes a {censored} while i sing, i'm not sure if that 'lead singer' is really helping the band. i'd like to add someone who adds OPTIONS to the band, rather than someone who add limitations. thoughts?

as an aside, i can't help wondering: what does it say about the attitude / work ethic of someone if they play in bands for years but never learn even a damn power chord on the guitar? i spend my days teaching 10-year-olds to play guitar, and if they can do it, then surely a 30-year-old can! to me a 'lead singer' who never bothers to learn an instrument is like a person who lives and works in a foreign country and never learns the bare minimum basics of the language, like how to order a pizza or how to ask for directions: pretty arrogant and pathetic, no? (i'll keep this view to myself for now during the band discussion, of course!)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not to oversimplify, but it really depends on how good they are. A truly great singer can single-handedly carry a So-so band. If they can play an instrument, that's a bonus. If this guy isn't much better than you, I see no point. If he is... Hey, it's a long night. Resting the pipes won't hurt.

• Members

Not to oversimplify, but it really depends on how good they are. A truly great singer can single-handedly carry a So-so band. If they can play an instrument, that's a bonus. If this guy isn't much better than you, I see no point. If he is... Hey, it's a long night. Resting the pipes won't hurt.

• Members

I would try to give the singer a harmony vocal or hand percussion role when they are not singing lead, but I haven't yet had this issue. My original project just recruited a new vocalist, and so far he is singing every tune. And he's a big guy, I will expect him to help with hauling gear on any gig.

• Members

I would try to give the singer a harmony vocal or hand percussion role when they are not singing lead, but I haven't yet had this issue. My original project just recruited a new vocalist, and so far he is singing every tune. And he's a big guy, I will expect him to help with hauling gear on any gig.

• Members

WTF is all this? If you don't like the idea of a lead singer who "only" sings, then don't hire one. Problem solved.

But you might want to look around a bit and figure out why so many successful groups at ALL levels have a "singing-only" front man.

You might also consider giving up the lead vocals on "your" songs and embracing the role of a kick-ass back-up vocalist, to keep the focus on the front person, where it (arguably) belongs. But that would mean putting the band first...

• Members

WTF is all this? If you don't like the idea of a lead singer who "only" sings, then don't hire one. Problem solved.

But you might want to look around a bit and figure out why so many successful groups at ALL levels have a "singing-only" front man.

You might also consider giving up the lead vocals on "your" songs and embracing the role of a kick-ass back-up vocalist, to keep the focus on the front person, where it (arguably) belongs. But that would mean putting the band first...

• Members

I have no expectations that lead singers play instruments. But I do expect them to be front-people---working the crowd IS their "instrument" in many ways--and expect them to sing backup on songs where other people sing.

As far as your own lead singing goes, it only makes sense that you'd sing less once adding another singer. Unless it's just simply a song that suits your voice so much better, why WOULDN'T you prefer the front man to sing it?

But many/most of the best lead singers throughout history didn't play instruments. And their bands were probably the better for it. I've seen Mick Jagger play guitar on a few tunes, but does anyone think the Stones would be better if he did so all night? Rod Stewart, Roger Daltry, Lou Gramm, Brad Delp, Ann Wilson, Robert Plant, Eddie Vedder, David Lee Roth, etc etc etc all don't play instruments on stage. (Or rarely do.) If your singer brings it on level with this type of front person, then no instrumental ability is warranted. If not? Then maybe you don't really need one.

• Members

I have no expectations that lead singers play instruments. But I do expect them to be front-people---working the crowd IS their "instrument" in many ways--and expect them to sing backup on songs where other people sing.

As far as your own lead singing goes, it only makes sense that you'd sing less once adding another singer. Unless it's just simply a song that suits your voice so much better, why WOULDN'T you prefer the front man to sing it?

But many/most of the best lead singers throughout history didn't play instruments. And their bands were probably the better for it. I've seen Mick Jagger play guitar on a few tunes, but does anyone think the Stones would be better if he did so all night? Rod Stewart, Roger Daltry, Lou Gramm, Brad Delp, Ann Wilson, Robert Plant, Eddie Vedder, David Lee Roth, etc etc etc all don't play instruments on stage. (Or rarely do.) If your singer brings it on level with this type of front person, then no instrumental ability is warranted. If not? Then maybe you don't really need one.

• Members

in both of these cases, the prospective 'lead' singer can perform the main songs roughly as well as i can (while i am playing bass, btw), so i wonder: why exactly are we adding this guy? i have no qualms with having a guest singer for the songs that are tough to play bass and sing live, but adding a permanent 4th member (and taking a permanent pay cut, plus adding the hassle of dealing with another schedule and another ego) seems like a solution to a problem that never existed in the first place.

• Members

in both of these cases, the prospective 'lead' singer can perform the main songs roughly as well as i can (while i am playing bass, btw), so i wonder: why exactly are we adding this guy? i have no qualms with having a guest singer for the songs that are tough to play bass and sing live, but adding a permanent 4th member (and taking a permanent pay cut, plus adding the hassle of dealing with another schedule and another ego) seems like a solution to a problem that never existed in the first place.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_L View Post
^^^

I've worked with lead singers and I am a bass playing lead singer myself. Most guys stick around and sing harmony, play perc, help drive the show with me while I'm singing lead. The good ones know the balancing act that it can be and know how to be there without upstaging. How to be a part of the tune without if being superfluous. I'd discuss this and try to get them to see it this way. It's weird for the audience any other way. Keep the chemistry as you say (the op).

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_L View Post
^^^

I've worked with lead singers and I am a bass playing lead singer myself. Most guys stick around and sing harmony, play perc, help drive the show with me while I'm singing lead. The good ones know the balancing act that it can be and know how to be there without upstaging. How to be a part of the tune without if being superfluous. I'd discuss this and try to get them to see it this way. It's weird for the audience any other way. Keep the chemistry as you say (the op).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder View Post

i wish it was as simple as this. unfortunately, there are other members of the band besides myself!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder View Post

i wish it was as simple as this. unfortunately, there are other members of the band besides myself!

• Members

and i'm definitely open to the idea of a 'singing-only' front man! it's just that they would have to be adding something definite to the band to make it worthwhile for me to not sing lead, like virtuosity, sex appeal, major stage presence / dance moves, etc (none of which said favorite candidates possess to any high degree)... i by no means think that i am the best vocalist out there, but i certainly don't suck.

• Members

and i'm definitely open to the idea of a 'singing-only' front man! it's just that they would have to be adding something definite to the band to make it worthwhile for me to not sing lead, like virtuosity, sex appeal, major stage presence / dance moves, etc (none of which said favorite candidates possess to any high degree)... i by no means think that i am the best vocalist out there, but i certainly don't suck.

• Members

If you are a better front-man, can him and hire a bass player. Otherwise I would suggest that he go work the crowd hard with a wireless while you sing and work the harmonies from the audience. Your spotlight will definitely dim, but that is the front mans job.

• Members

If you are a better front-man, can him and hire a bass player. Otherwise I would suggest that he go work the crowd hard with a wireless while you sing and work the harmonies from the audience. Your spotlight will definitely dim, but that is the front mans job.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

this.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

this.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gspointer View Post
Otherwise I would suggest that he go work the crowd hard with a wireless while you sing and work the harmonies from the audience. Your spotlight will definitely dim, but that is the front mans job.
this ^ was the precisely the type of answer i was looking for when i asked, 'what would you do if i was singing lead on a song?'

my goal is to make the band and the songs the strongest they can be. my point is that it seems like adding a decent singer who plays instruments would accomplish this better than adding a slighty-greater-than-decent singer who can't play. also it seems to me like adding said slightly-greater-than-decent singer would be roughly on par with keeping the band as a 3-piece, so i would rather not take the pay cut and the added headaches.

obviously, if a maynard james keenan or a serj tankian comes along, i'll wholeheartedly take a lead singer who 'only sings', but so far that kind of person hasn't come around!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gspointer View Post
Otherwise I would suggest that he go work the crowd hard with a wireless while you sing and work the harmonies from the audience. Your spotlight will definitely dim, but that is the front mans job.
this ^ was the precisely the type of answer i was looking for when i asked, 'what would you do if i was singing lead on a song?'

my goal is to make the band and the songs the strongest they can be. my point is that it seems like adding a decent singer who plays instruments would accomplish this better than adding a slighty-greater-than-decent singer who can't play. also it seems to me like adding said slightly-greater-than-decent singer would be roughly on par with keeping the band as a 3-piece, so i would rather not take the pay cut and the added headaches.

obviously, if a maynard james keenan or a serj tankian comes along, i'll wholeheartedly take a lead singer who 'only sings', but so far that kind of person hasn't come around!

Archived