Song suggestions for Motown

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

Just to keep things fresh, we've invited a couple of sax players to join us at out next gig to do a few motown songs. We plan on doing Soul Man and Shotgun. Any other suggestions that will get the place jumping?

Soul Man wasn't Motown but.....now I'm just being anal.  

I Want You Back -- if you have someone who can sing that high --- always kills.  Also hard to go wrong with I Can't Help Myself and Ain't Too Proud To Beg.

• Members

"Can't Get Next To You" - Temptations

"Tears of a Clown" - Smokey

"Uptight" - Stevie

"See Saw"  - Aretha

"Get Ready" - Temptations

"Ain't That Peculiar" - Marvin Gaye

And many more...

You could open the Stax/Volt catalog or Cream/Hi for some Memphis R&B thtat contain many tunes with horns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

guido61 wrote:

Soul Man wasn't Motown but.....now I'm just being anal.  

It drives me BANANAS when "Motown" is used to mean "black music from the time between blues and rap".  Nobody ever says, "Can you suggest some Geffen music" when they want toothless canyon pop.

• Members

guido61 wrote:

When someone says "Motown" I usually think they mean less all "soul music" than I figure they mean 60s pop/soul. So they usually mean all the Atlantic/Stax type stuff as well. 70s soul stuff like Earth Wind & Fire or even the Spinners? Not so much.

Yup pretty much ....When that stuff was being releases there was really not much in the way of music history that was getting classified and cataloged.  Hell it was all just new songs on the radio to us back then.  

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Well, there was that blue and white label with the cityscape that said MOTOWN in the middle of the record...

LOL yea ,, and the physical life of a 45 purchased by a band to learn a song off ,, by playing drop the needle  was about long enough to grab the lyrics and chords and work it up then they got tossed in the trash.   They wre around our practice pad about two weeks and even then i took  a nickle taped to  the phono arm to get it to play on the second session where when on the list.  We always worked two songs at every band practice ,, Start a new one,, and polish the last one to stage ready status.   The label was not importans as how many plays you got when  you were abusing the record.  

Archived