Does it matter why the crowd is there?

jeff42

• Members

FYI: THIS DID NOT HAPPEN TO ME:

I tried to write out the entire timetable of what I witnessed happening but damn is this story convoluted with alot of he said she said BS... so I deleted everything and I am starting over. I will try and sum it up with what I know.

A drummer friend's band booked a show at a local bar for $500.

After the show was booked the owner's family decided to throw a birthday party for the owner the same night- keeping the band's date- so the night of the gig place was packed. (pics back this part up. NO place to move AT ALL - way better than my last gig... HA!)

At the end of the night the band was handed $300. 

A bitch fest ensues on Facebook over the weekend. The singer bitching on the band profile and his page. The owner's daughter blasting the band on her page. 

At this point (since I know the singer has an ego and does think his band should be getting $1000+ a night) I figured he asked for more $$$ at the end of the night because of the packed house but then I read something that made me think something else went down also. 

Someone made the comment that they were only given $300 because everyone was there for the party... not the band. 

So here's my question-

Let's assume for a moment they were booked for $500.

Does it matter if people were fans of the band or friends of the owner just there for the party? Its not like the party was in a separate room. 

Most of the blasting is deleted but There is this comment that is still sitting on FB: 

your a hundred percent right. I deal with that bs with bands and djs all the time everyone came there for the birthday party not the band looks like to me. i know there was 8 of us at least and your dad is not an asshole shame on the person who is saying that a deal is a deal its a shame because bar owners give these guys chances to get there name out there we have big risks like noise violations and other risks along with overhead etc but they dont see that i hope your dads night was not ruined because of a greedy person

Yeah I'm not sure I agree with THAT!

anyway, IMO the band is hurt by this as is the bar. The truth is somewhere in the middle I think. I know when the owner was trying to get us to play there he was only offering $250. LOL nope. Also the few times we have been burned we just quietly cancel any more dates and we dont go back.

Sorry for the long post- slow day at work. but food for thought I think... does it matter WHY you are entertaining people in a bar? 

• Members

Unless the deal is that you get paid only for the people that have been identified as the ones you brought, no it does not matter one whit.

Fact of the matter is you entertained a packed bar all night long.  You were there to provide entertainment, to keep the crowd happy and to keep them there, and you did.  You did your job.  So you should get paid whatever the negotiated rate was.

Side note, maybe more of "your crowd" would have come if the place wasn't so overcrowded.  If the place is too crowded people may have decided to catch you next time.  Not everyone likes feeling like they are in a frat house, fighting to get a beer from the bartender.

Side note #2, the bar owner's daughter is an idiot.  Playing to get our name out there?  Really?  The goal of a cover band isn't fame, folks.  It's to get paying gigs.  If the goal is "exposure", then don't do me any favors - leave me out of it.

• Members

I was so tempted to toss my 2 cents into this idiotic FB battle when I started to read about exposure and bands given a chance by bar owners and they were there to see the owner not the band  and bla bla bla

But I didn't... I am glad I wasn't doing drunken FB posting over the weekend. HA!

The truth is in there somewhere but giving a band exposure isn't part of it. 

• Members

So they agreed to play for $500, but got $300 instead? If so that's super {censored}ty. If there's an agreed price it should be met. But if i'm misunderstanding and they agreed to play for $300, then i don't see what the problem is really. 

The way i see it is that if there's an agreed price then the bar is expected to meet it and the band shouldn't wait to complain about it later.

• Moderators

The EAKLE wrote:

So they agreed to play for $500, but got $300 instead? If so that's super {censored}ty. If there's an agreed price it should be met. But if i'm misunderstanding and they agreed to play for $300, then i don't see what the problem is really. 

The way i see it is that if there's an agreed price then the bar is expected to meet it and the band shouldn't wait to complain about it later.

The band should absolutely be paid the agreed upon price. Unfortunately, there was no contract. So it sounds like the bar owners are cheats and the band are not very smart.

• Members

If I book a gig for an agreed-upon price and then I'm given only 60% of said price, I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

I don't care who shows up for the band or if someone decides to hold a bachelorette party there, birthday bash, whatever. If I'm hired for $500, then I EXPECT $500 when we are finished playing.

When someone tries to dick me around with money, I just choose not to play there anymore.

It happened in the fall of 2011. We agreed upon a price two days before the gig, I sent the contract by fax, he didn't bother to read or sign it, then as we are coming in the door, his brother (co-owner of the club) decides to say "yeah, but you only get THIS much at this other place..." We threatened to stop loading in equipment and pack up right there. After 45 minutes of negotiating, we finally agreed to perform for ONE night instead of two for a specified price and that we would be paid in CASH (which we were). We haven't played there since and don't intend to ever again.

I prefer to play places that don't dick around with money. You know what you're going to get when you go there, you agree to it, you take your money, they rebook you. Simple.

jeff42: Sorry to hear about what happened with this band. Is this the same band you mentioned a few weeks ago that boasted that they would fill the club and nobody showed up, but they assured the club they were worth big money? Or something along those lines...

• Members

tim_7string wrote:

jeff42: Sorry to hear about what happened with this band. Is this the same band you mentioned a few weeks ago that boasted that they would fill the club and nobody showed up, but they assured the club they were worth big money? Or something along those lines...

No different guys. I get along well with most of them, singer does have a bit of an ego though. They have maybe 5 gigs under their belt.  

• Members

your a hundred percent right. I deal with that bs with bands and djs all the time everyone came there for the birthday party not the band looks like to me. i know there was 8 of us at least and your dad is not an asshole shame on the person who is saying that a deal is a deal its a shame because bar owners give these guys chances to get there name out there we have big risks like noise violations and other risks along with overhead etc but they dont see that i hope your dads night was not ruined because of a greedy person

First of all, learning the English language helps tremendously in communication.  Correct capitalization and punctuation along with proofreading are things that really need to be learned.

Secondly, shame on the person who is saying that "a deal is a deal".  Is this idiot for real?  What is a deal then?  A guideline.  An approximation of possible compensation.  Does this jackass buy a house and then pay whatever he feels like each month to the mortgage company because, you know, a deal really isn't a deal.

I've had to use this story once before, and it worked:

"Let's say I paid you $100 for a blowjob.  And at the end of said blowjob, right as you were wiping off your chin, I decided that I wasn't completely satisfied.  So, I only paid you $60.  How would you feel about that?"

• Members

TrickyBoy wrote:

"Let's say I paid you $100 for a blowjob.  And at the end of said blowjob, right as you were wiping off your chin, I decided that I wasn't completely satisfied.  So, I only paid you $60.  How would you feel about that?"

Comment of the month... lol

Archived