Three different gigs - three different pays

mstreck

• Members

Different budgets yield different results...

Friday night - shared a night with another band at a town festival (contract gig with sound provided), played two one-hour sets and received what we would normally get for a full night.

Saturday morning - played two one-hour sets at an all day bike event (no contract with sound provided) and received what we would normally get for one set (I'm basing that on our typical full night's pay with us providing sound).

The "profit" we made from the Friday night gig was balanced out by the "loss" on the Saturday morning gig. The same person contacted us for both shows. The sound company was the same and the band that we shared Friday night with also played on Saturday. But the budgets and M.O.'s were radically different. 

Saturday night - we played a familiar venue, provided our own sound, and received what we usually get for a full night (as you would expect). Although the other gigs were fun, I prefer bar gigs much, much more.

• Members

mstreck wrote:

Friday night - shared a night with another band at a town festival (contract gig with sound provided),
 played two one-hour sets and received what we would normally get for a full night.

Saturday morning - played two one-hour sets at an all day bike event (no contract with sound provided) and received what we would normally get for one set (I'm basing that on our typical full night's pay with us providing sound).

The "profit" we made from the Friday night gig was balanced out by the "loss" on the Saturday morning gig. The same person contacted us for both shows. The sound company was the same and the band that we shared Friday night with also played on Saturday. But the budgets and M.O.'s were radically different. 

Saturday night - we played a familiar venue, provided our own sound, and received what we usually get for a full night (as you would expect). Although the other gigs were fun, I prefer bar gigs much, much more.

Pretty cool. I did one weekend where we played a Friday night at a bar, packed up the PA gear the next day and moved it to a different location in town (outdoor gig), played that gig for two hours or so, then moved the PA gear back to the bar we were at for Saturday night. We got paid more for the shorter set for Saturday afternoon, but not enough for the amount of hassle we had to endure. I would have preferred to have shared the show with another band that already had their PA set up.

Bar gigs are still fun for us too. I did an outdoor wedding dance a couple of years ago that went okay and a street dance last year, but I prefer being indoors in a controlled environment. Too many variables with the outdoor stuff.

• Members

mstreck wrote:

Friday night - shared a night with another band at a town festival (contract gig with sound provided),
 played two one-hour sets and received what we would normally get for a full night.

Saturday night - we played a familiar venue, provided our own sound, and received what we usually get for a full night (as you would expect). Although the other gigs were fun,
I prefer bar gigs much, much more

-Definitely prefer bar/club gigs as well!

Archived