Around and around we go

jeff42

• Members

here's one for you...

My former band played a nice club for 2+ years and pulled great crowds until the club changed management, then all our gigs were cancelled. My current band played there once over a year ago and the crowd was good, not great but the place was full most of the night.

Since then we havent been back. The guy who books the bands doesn't actually work there so popping up in person doesn't work. Emails and phone calls went unanswered until a few months ago. Then I got:

1st email: he claimed to not recall us ever playing there and it didn't matter that my former band did every 6-8 weeks. So I sent him a link to pics of the show. 

2nd email: he says it doesn't matter things are different now and we have to play a thursday night. So we reluctantly agree to play the next month. He then cancels us 2 days before the gig.

I figured screw this and that was that until recently when he emailed asking for thursday and weekend dates. So I sent them our avails.

Waited about 2 weeks and then emailed him again with an updated schedule of avails because the summer is almost totally booked out and some places have booked us out til the end of 2013. 

I get an email back from him the other day that says he is happy with the roster of bands he has now and they are booked out until the end of 2013. He then mentions 2 bands I know well and says we can do an opening slot for them if they agree to it. ( I am sure this "opening slot" does not pay)

As of now I have not responded and I doubt I will. We don't plan on doing an opening slot at this place, or playing it at all right now. This has been silly round and round BS for awhile.

• Members

When he canceled 2 days before is when I would have canceled the thought of ever playing there for any reason. (unless the cancelation was valid somehow). You know you're a good band, treat yourselves as such and don't invite the hassle this place has now shown you.

• Members

Way too much drama associated with this relationship.   If you can't trust the guy you're negotiating with to say what he'll do and then do what he says - there's little sense in continuing to deal with him.   He's playing you like Lucy played Charlie Brown - holding the ball, inviting you to make the play - and then pulling it away and leaving you on your back.   Walk away from it - it just ain't the right fit for you.

• Members

yeah I am done with this guy. we have a pretty full schedule into the fall and I am confident we will have 2013 wrapped up before the end of the summer. We aren't hurting for places to play. who knows maybe 2014 he will be be gone or busting MY balls to play his place and I can say NOPE.... I am looking at another place very close to them that is just as good. 

• Members

You are definitely doing the right thing. After the 2nd email where he said 'it doesn't matter now', I would have simply told him, "Thank you for time and best of luck to you," and left it at that. I can pick up a vibe after a while.

I did pursue one club in town for a while, but they have basically made it clear in a roundabout sort of way that they aren't interested. Some people don't like us for whatever reason. I just move on and continue to play the places that want us back. Our schedule is as full as we want it to be. I don't really get that upset about it if somebody doesn't want us at their establishment. Like Liberace said, "I'm crying all the way to the bank."

• Members

Why is it when we know that "buh bye...next" is what we should do, and is what we do....there is this weird thing lingering......it's like: "hey douchenozzle, we've been here since before you got here, and we'd kick ass in your club and have done so many times, but your little attiude is condescending to our experience and abilities....but LET US PROVE IT!!!"

Why do I (maybe it's just me) don't want to let it go sometimes. Clearer head always prevails and I always make the right decision in moving on, but there is this lingering thing.....it's like dammit....I wanna prove you wrong mother{censored}er!!!!

• Members

3shiftgtr wrote:

Why is it when we know that "buh bye...next" is what we should do, and is what we do....there is this weird thing lingering......it's like: "hey douchenozzle, we've been here since before you got here, and we'd kick ass in your club and have done so many times, but your little attiude is condescending to our experience and abilities....but LET US PROVE IT!!!"

Maybe it is because I am confident that I don't suck, the other guys I play with don't suck but mainly it's because I treat people better than that.

Archived