It's a good feeling...

jeff42

• Members

Its a pretty good feeling when you look at your band calendar and say... whoa! The summer's almost totally booked up. Some people in my area are bitching on a local music FB group about no work to be had but it's there, just just have to look harder. We do bust our asses to get some gigs, I follow up as much as I can- (hopefully I am not too annoying) We try and practice when we can to keep our set fresh and a bit different. Upgrade our equipment as much as we can too. We offer a decent band IMO and a decent rate and we have steady gigs from now until the middle of September... Plus October is filled too.

• Members

Nice!   Yeah, work is to be had, you just have to be willing to do the work to get it:  hustle up the gigs (you're only too annoying if they stop hiring you) and provide a musical entertainment product that's deserving of the money you're asking to be paid.

It isn't rocket science. 

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

Its a pretty good feeling when you look at your band calendar and say... whoa! The summer's almost totally booked up. Some people in my area are bitching on a local music FB group about no work to be had but it's there, just just have to look harder. We do bust our asses to get some gigs, I follow up as much as I can- (hopefully I am not too annoying) We try and practice when we can to keep our set fresh and a bit different. Upgrade our equipment as much as we can too. We offer a decent band IMO and a decent rate and we have steady gigs from now until the middle of September... Plus October is filled too.

Good for you! I'm pretty much booked through September as well. This month is a little "slow" because I'm going to Disney, but 10 gigs is still more than most.

• Members

Potts wrote:

jeff42 wrote:

Good for you! I'm pretty much booked through September as well. This month is a little "slow" because I'm going to Disney, but 10 gigs is still more than most.

Yes I'd say that's busier than our busiest month! Good job! And enjoy disney, I'll be here in PA being jealous.

• Members

Man, we're just the opposite. I was looking at 2012's spring/summer calendar and it was full almost every week from March to September, and we were playing in at least 6 or 7 different venues. Now, it's as if we're barely scraping by - we just lost one of our best venues to the economy, and currently only have two venues on the books. Fortunately, we have one of the best weekly summer gigs in OCMD - but the goal now is to find a few more places to play without losing our shirts. I can't wait for my work schedule/responsibilities to loosen up a bit so I can start pounding the pavement looking for new venues.

I'm glad you're doing well. At least SOMEONE that I know is! Haha!

• Members

Nice!  Interestingly, ours is decent from a show standpoint (5 in May, 4 in June, 4 in July) but light on a weekend standpoint (only 2 weekends in June and 1 in July).  We'll probably pick up an additional 2 shows a month, but I'm kind of liking having weekends off then weekends with 2-4 gigs.

• Members

Chicken Monkey wrote:

We sit out most of the summer, as we're close enough to the water that places around here dry up. Too bad we're not a beach act...

Anyway, each of us spends a lot of our summer weekends attending festivals anyway.

We areclose to the water too, which is a huge advantage since it is a summer tourist/party area. That's also where we've gotten most of our opening gigs for the has-been rock acts.

• Members

We're in the middle of a stretch during which a venue that was booking us for either a Friday or a Saturday night every 2-3 weeks is giving us a little break - with no bookings with them from March thru August.   This "break" has created the impression that we've slowed down ... however even with the "break" my calendar for the rest of the year is shaping up okay with the following monthly gig counts as of this writing.

May - 4; June - 3; July - 2; Aug - 5; Sep - 4, Oct - 3; Nov - 3; Dec - 2

Considering that my personal target is to gig 4-6 nights per month - I'm pretty close to my target.

• Members

One of the benefits of booking that far out IMO is any new rooms looking at our website may give us a shot because we are busy. We scored one new room because of this- The lady who booked us liked our demos but told me she figured If these OTHER places like us so much to book us for the next 5-6 months we must be pretty good live. That was the deciding factor. 

As far as booking out so far in advance that we may miss a private gig that would pay more I have told some of our places that insisted on booking us out till the end of 2013 some of these dates that are 5-6 months out MAY change. Gives us a bit of wiggle room.

• Members

guido61 wrote:

I would think most clubs that book months in advance would be able to make changes with a few weeks notice.

Sure they COULD. But I certainly don't want to treat a club that treats us well and is always fair, that way. If I book a gig with them I won't cancel or change it w/o a more valid reason.

Archived