George Jones, RIP

kl285528

• Members

Wow, only two replies in this thread.  Kinda sad IMO.  The first time I ever saw him was when I was wathing Hee Haw with my grandfather and Jones did The Race Is On.  I've pretty much been a metalhead my entire life but I definitely have a liking for that REAL old school country.

• Members

I was very sad to hear the news. A 50 career in the industry and some 150 albums. I'd been meaning to do "He Stopped Loving Her Today" for many years but it never happened. Last Saturday in the 3rd set after the New Country youth had left for the night, I turned to my steel player and said " I have to do this tune, lets try it in F." Nobody in the room cared a hoot and I felt great. I've done "The Race is ON" and "Love Bug" in the past.

I watched some memorial shows on cable including that 50th year celebration from Nashville, obviously recorded and shown previously. They edited in informal interviews with the artists who sang tributes to him at the event. Winona Judd, Martina McBride, Uncle Kracker (what awful stage presence), some other young artists. The backing band was just a who's who of players with Brent Mason on guitar. Not a single flash riff or lick all night, just straight up quality intros, solos and fills, fitting for any George Jones recording.

The lyric of He stopped loving her, a classic 1/2 step modulation after the 2nd verse, the glimmer of hearbreak being overcome and then the first chorus, giving a hint of something foreboding, the spoken bridge and the single, final chorus,ritard ending on the I chord. Yep I like that song.

Playing new country and respecting the old.

Dez

• Members

I absolutely loved the guy's music.  My mom used to blast it on the stereo when she coaxed me to ride with her on her mail route when I was 12.  "He Stopped Loving Her Today" was definitely one of my favorites.  Many others.  True PLAYER.

Archived