Booking Gigs

• Members

So I have never booked a gig before, any tips anyone can give on how to go about doing it?

I have always been in bands where someone else has booked.

We have a promo vid/demo and pics, and I just don't know where to start.

Do I just start calling bar owners/managers?

Any suggestions would help.

• Members

A few tips:

1.) Go in person and have physical copies of a press kit/ recording with you. Be prepared to leave them with the venue.

2.) Know what you want out of the gig/ what your band is capable of. Are you booking a full night as a cover band? Or just getting a slot on a bill as a 45 minute original set?

3.) Have a realistic expectation of what your band offers: visually, sonically, what your draw may be, and then listen to what the venue is looking for and work with it.

4.) Have a a good ballpark on 2-3 months of availability with your band. Try to walk out with a date, or at least 2-3 pencil dates where you can confirm one with the band within 24 hours.

5.) Know what the venue wants before you go in. Is this a rock club? A jazz bar? A luau beach club? Make sure you'll fit so you can make a good splash and get returned bookings.

6.) Most importantly, have your ducks in a row. Have your Facebook/ Reverb Nation/ website content up and running before you go there, to the point where the owner can whip out his laptop and check it out while you're there. Have a set list handy (if covers) and know how to describe your band. Every band thinks they're special, but know what the selling points and strong points of yours are. Example: "We're a top 40 pop cover band, but we play all the songs as if Blink-182 wrote them, so it keeps people dancing and wanting to hear how we play the next song."

Coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but that's a few starting points! Good luck!

• Members

Guitar Slim wrote:

If anyone has any insite on bookings for venues other than bars; example festivals, municipal shows, or even just impressing a booking agency, I'd love to read them too!

Thanks,

the main thing is to ask around and find out the best person to speak to and/or get your info to.

Archived