When should original bands go all out?

• Members

My band is getting ready to start performing live!  Can't wait, it's been years since I've been in a band and am wanting to do it right.  I know it's unrealistic to think we're going to be selling out arenas and what not but we still want to act as professional and established as we can from the get go.  One can dream right?

Question is, would it be seen as arrogant, or out of place to show up to a first gig with 3 track sample cds to hand out (professional quality sound and printed cds), stickers, tshirts to sell, banners on stage covering up the backline advertising our name and having our own lights on stage?

Cost of the above isn't really an issue, our drummer works in a merchandise shop and has access to the banners and merch.  And the cds are something we have already agreed will help us get gigs.

Our main concern is that other bands will get pissed off and we'll be alienated from them.  On the other hand, we're hoping that the promoters and clubs/bars will see how much effort we put into our live show and reward us with regular gigs.  Is it worth the risk?  Are my concerns even real or am I just worrying too much?

If it matters, the band is kinda RHCP meets The Police meets Pink Floyd or as our bass player puts it "imagine if Muse smoked lots of pot instead of used pychedelics" and we're from Melbourne, Australia, The few shows I"ve been to since moving here the bands focus on the music more and less on the marketing/social networking aspects.

Any advice/thoughts would be great!

• Members

Build your brand any way you can. Giveaways get the word out, and give you an easy way to approach and meet new fans. Hard work and hustle is what breeds success.

Other bands who may have a problem with it will do so because you are schooling them in the area of public relations and promotion.

• Members

If you don't tell the audience that it's your first time out, they won't think it is with that much preparation. If the other bands get mad, it's just because they didn't make that much effort. (Should be mad only at themselves.) You can't hurt yourselves by being too good or too prepared. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!! and have a great gig.

• Members

WynnD wrote:

If you don't tell the audience that it's your first time out, they won't think it is with that much preparation. If the other bands get mad, it's just because they didn't make that much effort. (Should be mad only at themselves.) You can't hurt yourselves by being too good or too prepared. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!! and have a great gig.

Thanks for the advice guys!  Just needed to be reassured we weren't getting ahead of ourselves.

I really like the idea of not mentioning its our first gig too!  

Will report back after the gig happens, cheers!

• Members

I don't see an issue with banners, merchandise, cds, etc... but if it is one of those multi-band bills each playing a 45-60 minute set then I would think about the lights unless you plan to let the other bands use them.  If it is one of those 3-4 band bills in a smaller venue with a shared PA then set up time can be an issue.  Nobody wants to wait around in between bands while you are setting up your fog machine and snycing up your light show.  Now, if you are the only band on the bill you can do whatever you want.

It's just my humble opinion.  The original music scene can be tough (no money) and gigs can be hard to come by.  You don't want to alienate other bands because it might cost you future gigs playing together on the same bill.  On the flip side, if you offer to use your lights for the other bands they will probably be pretty thrilled and it will probably help you get gigs.  I think this is something to consider.  It is not about "showing up" the other bands or "going all out"... it's about being courteous to your fellow musicians on the bill who are also trying to set up/tear down as quickly as possible as to not cut into other bands sets.

No need to mention it is your first gig together.  Why not throw a house party or invite some people to your rehearsal space and play a set?   Then it technically won't be your first gig.

• Members

Give it 150%. Every originals only gig I've ever done, the bands that have it together offer a lot of promo items. It's almost expected. And, like someone pointed out, unless you announce it's your first not many people are going to know. Promote your gig, promote your band at the gig, then hit the stage and give it all you got. That's how you get fans and build a following.

• Members

Oh yeah, the lights. I missed that part. I would be very hesitant to bring them out unless you planned to share. AND unless they add more to the house lights than they clutter the stage. I've only seen one band, touring bands included, bring their own lights to a club show, and that was simply a pair of scanners added in by the touring band. We didn't get to use them.

• Members

Yer Blues wrote:

I don't see an issue with banners, merchandise, cds, etc... but if it is one of those multi-band bills each playing a 45-60 minute set then I would think about the lights unless you plan to let the other bands use them.  If it is one of those 3-4 band bills in a smaller venue with a shared PA then set up time can be an issue.  Nobody wants to wait around in between bands while you are setting up your fog machine and snycing up your light show.  Now, if you are the only band on the bill you can do whatever you want.

It's just my humble opinion.  The original music scene can be tough (no money) and gigs can be hard to come by.  You don't want to alienate other bands because it might cost you future gigs playing together on the same bill.  On the flip side, if you offer to use your lights for the other bands they will probably be pretty thrilled and it will probably help you get gigs.  I think this is something to consider.  It is not about "showing up" the other bands or "going all out"... it's about being courteous to your fellow musicians on the bill who are also trying to set up/tear down as quickly as possible as to not cut into other bands sets.

No need to mention it is your first gig together.  Why not throw a house party or invite some people to your rehearsal space and play a set?   Then it technically won't be your first gig.

THIS IS A GREAT COMMENT!

• Members

No one will take issue with that. Ego risers (this term I think is a genericized trademark, not a pejorative) are pretty common.

DON'T SUCK!

One thing about the original scene, presumably everywhere, bands can stay afloat by impressing clubs and promoters, but need the support of other bands to really grow.

Every "extra" thing you add to the stage is a bet on yourself. If you are good, it will add to the show. If you aren't, you will look like a douche to other bands. It's all about being likeable, and accessible. If you have the merch, get the friendliest band member to the merch table IMMEDIATELY after playing if possible, or as soon as the stage is clear. Chat up the other bands at their tables. Be as complimentary as possible, and accentuate the positive.

Archived