Exposure, Experience, Etc

toober

• Members

The music industry isn't the only one feeling reprocusions of 'performing for free'. The IT industry is now seeing more and more Internships where somebody works for free to gain experience so they can be 'more promotable' by temp agencies. It is only a matter of time before interns become more the norm for all industries. And they're cheaper than outsourcing. :facepalm:

• Members

toober wrote:

The music industry isn't the only one feeling reprocusions of 'performing for free'. The IT industry is now seeing more and more Internships where somebody works for free to gain experience so they can be 'more promotable' by temp agencies. It is only a matter of time before interns become more the norm for all industries. And they're cheaper than outsourcing.
:facepalm:

Internships have always been a valuable part of a college student's education. I'm sorry- I dont see the correlation to music. As far as being more promotable to temp agencies that doesn't hold a lot of water either. The purpose of an internship is to gain real-life experience in one's chosen field. A good internship will assign a 16 week project to the intern that they can use as part of their resume. That makes the student more employable.

• Members

I think playing for free when you are just starting out gigging is comparable to an internship. Open mics and jams have their place for green musicians to gain stage experience. After you reach a certain level it's a bum deal though. No one wants an internship after a couple years in the business!

Archived