Bar owner allegedly attacks band during 1st song

jeff42

• Members

This wonderful story popped up in my facebook feed today I figured I would share it. I have delt with some shady owners before but never one that got physical.

anyway.. enjoy:

ATTENTION ALL BANDS ! A word to the wise..for your own good avoid XXXX BAR XXXX at any and all costs !

We hate when we have to do this, and believe me we've never had to do this before but there is a first time for everything. We were scheduled to perform there last evening and after going back and forth numerous times during soundcheck trying to be accommodating to the club and its staff with regards to tight space and volume constraints we thought we had everyone satisfied. We kept all accessways and paths to the bathrooms clear...in fact, one of the managers actually came out and worked with us prior throwing a carpet over our cords so people wouldn't trip and asking us to move our one pa cabinet over a bit to widen the channel. We did. It looked like we were ready to start the show.

About a minute and a half into our first song the owner of the establishment came rushing in from out of nowhere and first kicked our guitar player's pedalboard (a piece of equipment costing in excess of $1000 !) back towards us and then proceeded to physically shove our singer back. When our singer gave him a look, the guy said something about "you can't be out this far!" (a little sidenote:the guitar player was practically sitting on my kick drum !LOL) He then shoved him in a corner.

When our singer responded back the guy told us to "get the {censored} out!" So we did. Numerous staff members apologized up and down for his behavior, some of which offered the "excuse" that he was "having a bad day!" Hell, if I acted like that every time I had a bad day I would be unemployed 50 or 60 times over...maybe I should have been a club owner !

What it all comes down to is a total lack of respect for someone's rather expensive equipment, and for people in general. Places who aren't set up properly for bands shouldn't have bands, and people who treat others like this shouldn't run these kinds of places. It's a bad combination. What made it all the more frustrating is we practically bent over backwards to accommodate the physical layout of this place, and we were already turned down to a point where some people would have been of the opinion that it wasn't even worth playing. But we tried anyway...and didn't even get through our first song ! No band deserves to be treated in this manner, and bands pay way too much money for their gear to have it exposed to this kind of neglect and abuse.

Interesting enough, the guy didn't show has face in the same room for the rest of the night, and even his own employees had a "WTF?" attitude about the whole thing. Anyway...the facts...100% truth...

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

This wonderful story popped up in my facebook feed today I figured I would share it. I have delt with some shady owners before but never one that got physical.

anyway.. enjoy:

ATTENTION ALL BANDS ! A word to the wise..for your own good avoid XXXX BAR XXXX at any and all costs !

We hate when we have to do this, and believe me we've never had to do this before but there is a first time for everything. We were scheduled to perform there last evening and after going back and forth numerous times during soundcheck trying to be accommodating to the club and its staff with regards to tight space and volume constraints we thought we had everyone satisfied. We kept all accessways and paths to the bathrooms clear...in fact, one of the managers actually came out and worked with us prior throwing a carpet over our cords so people wouldn't trip and asking us to move our one pa cabinet over a bit to widen the channel. We did. It looked like we were ready to start the show.

About a minute and a half into our first song the owner of the establishment came rushing in from out of nowhere and first kicked our guitar player's pedalboard (a piece of equipment costing in excess of $1000 !) back towards us and then proceeded to physically shove our singer back. When our singer gave him a look, the guy said something about "you can't be out this far!" (a little sidenote:the guitar player was practically sitting on my kick drum !LOL) He then shoved him in a corner.

When our singer responded back the guy told us to "get the {censored} out!" So we did. Numerous staff members apologized up and down for his behavior, some of which offered the "excuse" that he was "having a bad day!" Hell, if I acted like that every time I had a bad day I would be unemployed 50 or 60 times over...maybe I should have been a club owner !

What it all comes down to is a total lack of respect for someone's rather expensive equipment, and for people in general. Places who aren't set up properly for bands shouldn't have bands, and people who treat others like this shouldn't run these kinds of places. It's a bad combination. What made it all the more frustrating is we practically bent over backwards to accommodate the physical layout of this place, and we were already turned down to a point where some people would have been of the opinion that it wasn't even worth playing. But we tried anyway...and didn't even get through our first song ! No band deserves to be treated in this manner, and bands pay way too much money for their gear to have it exposed to this kind of neglect and abuse.

Interesting enough, the guy didn't show has face in the same room for the rest of the night, and even his own employees had a "WTF?" attitude about the whole thing. Anyway...the facts...100% truth...

I'm missing something...did you "get the {censored} out" or not?  If you did, how do you know he "didn't show his face in the same room for the rest of the night?"

• Members

New Trail wrote:

jeff42 wrote:

anyway.. enjoy:

I'm missing something...did you "get the {censored} out" or not?  If you did, how do you know he "didn't show his face in the same room for the rest of the night?"

since it wasnt me I am not sure. I assume what the guy meant was after the owner said get the {censored} out they started packing. I assume but who knows.

This gig seems like it even started on the wrong foot. I have had a few like that. Walking on egg shells kind of thing cuz the owner is a grumpy prick. LOL

Archived