Giving in - We're learning some country tunes

• Members

Giving in - Giving up.  Whatever :D

But we played a gig at a place called....  wait for it...  Good Ole Boys on Friday and we went over surprisingly well.  I expected it to be a tough night, but they really liked us.  HOWEVER, we would have really killed if we had 5-6 country tunes to throw in with our regular stuff.  Now I really dislike country music, but then again, I don't love a lot of the songs we do, so in my mind, what's the difference between playing a country tune or "Are You 

Gonna Be My Girl" (another song that I've never liked.

Anyway, our drummer is into country, so he suggested the following:

Lady Antebellum - Downtown

Tim McGraw/Taylor Swift The Highway Don't Care

Wagon Wheel

Friends in Low Places

While I wouldnt listen to any of these on purpose, none of them offend me, so they seem like a reasonable start.  Any other suggestions??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We've stayed away from modern country for the most part too unless it was a special request deal.   Like most bands we were doing "Save A Horse" for awhile, but that fell out of the songlist.

But the new girl likes modern country and sings it well, so we're probably going to add a couple of Miranda Lambert-type country party tunes to the setlist.   So any suggestions about which are the hottest ones right now would be appreciated here as well!

• Members

guido61 wrote:

We've stayed away from modern country for the most part too unless it was a special request deal.   Like most bands we were doing "Save A Horse" for awhile, but that fell out of the songlist.

But the new girl likes modern country and sings it well, so we're probably going to add a couple of Miranda Lambert-type country party tunes to the setlist.   So any suggestions about which are the hottest ones right now would be appreciated here as well!

Well it isn't exactly new but it is my favorite Miranda song.

I would just ask the new singer what songs she likes since she might have a better idea if she likes country music.

• Members

I'm hardly what I would call a country music fan....but as ChickenMonkey alluded to, a lot of modern country is basically 80's hard rock with a southern twang;   overdriven guitars, big rock drums, driving bass, and a fiddle player.   Once you get past the twangy vocals, you realize that a lot of it is hard rock masquerading as country music.   (Which is why older country fans don't consider most "modern country" to be country music at all.)

From one guy who doesn't care for most country music to another.....a few listening recommendations:

Jason Aldean - She's Country ,  My Kinda Party

Luke Bryan - Country Girl (Shake it for me)

Miranda Lambert - Gunpowder and Lead , Baggage Claim

Little Big Town - Pontoon,  Boondocks

Jason Aldean - Dirt Road Anthem   (also, check out the alternate version with Ludacris)

Lady Antebellum - Need You Now

• Members

So, what I think we're gonna start with.  Not all country, but what's more important to me is things that will go over well to that crowd (funny thing is that the all dance to hip hop/rap between sets)

Wagon Wheel

Gunpowder and Lead

Friends in Low Places

Need You Now

If I Die Young

The Highway Don't Care

Take It Easy (Eagles)

Gimme 3 Steps

Pride and Joy

She Used To Be Mine (Brooks and Dunn - I used to sing it so I already know it)

Thoughts....

• Members

I'll go....

Wagon Wheel - As hot as ever thanks to Darius Rucker revising it

Gunpowder & Lead - With your singer. Duh! I'd also suggest other Miranda, Carrie, etc. "Girl Power" songs as well as possibly "Fastest Girl In Town" duet with the two of you???? I do it from a male perspective ala Keith Urban

Friends - Yeah, around here it's a sing-a-long. I'm just tired of singing it!

Need You Now - I wonder if this still goes over well

If I Die Young - With y'alls energy I'd rather hear "Better Dig Two"

Highway Don't Care - I wanna hear you nail that Keith Urban tone/solo ;)

Take It Easy - Or not at all?

3 Steps - See above

Pride and Joy - I'm a big Stevie Ray fan and I'd rather watch a video of him playing it than a cover band

She Used To Be Mine - Dated

There are better country covers than some of these, female or male, you can't go wrong with any Aldean, Bryan, Church at the moment.

I also would like to see your "fun" band do Thomas Rhett's "Something To Do With My Hands"

My $0.02, which by my count is worth about $0.0000000001 (The rest is owed to China)

• Members

She's Country-Jason Aldean

1994-Aldean

Bearfoot Blue Jean Nights-Jake Owen

The One That Got Away-Jake Owen

Anywhere With You-Jake Owen

Alone With You-Jake Owen

Beer Money-Kip Moore

Cruise-Florida Georgia Line

Pirate Flag-Chesney

You and Tequilla-Kenny Chesney

Zach Brown-Keep Me In Mind,

Chicken Fried, Toes

Even If It Breaks Your Heart-Eli Young Band

Drunk On You-Luke Bryan

I don't Want This Night To End-Luke Bryan

Kiss tomorrow Goodbye-Luke Bryan

Country Girl Shake it for me-Luke Bryan

You're Gonna Fly-Keith Urban

Long Hot Summer-Keith Urban

Banjo-Rascall Flatts

Pontoon-Little Big Town

5150-Dierks Bentley

Drink In My Hand-Eric Church

That should get ya started :)

• Members

TrickyBoy wrote:

So, what I think we're gonna start with.  Not all country, but what's more important to me is things that will go over well to that crowd (funny thing is that the all dance to hip hop/rap between sets)

Wagon Wheel

Gunpowder and Lead

Friends in Low Places

Need You Now

If I Die Young

The Highway Don't Care

Take It Easy (Eagles)

Gimme 3 Steps

Pride and Joy

Thoughts....

She Used to be Mine isn't one of their bigger hits, you'll get a lot more legs out of Boot Scootin Boogie. The later is also a good song for bands without a Pedal Steel Guitar because it can be really guitar driven.

• Members

TrickyBoy wrote:

Wagon Wheel

Gunpowder and Lead

Friends in Low Places

Need You Now

If I Die Young

The Highway Don't Care

Take It Easy (Eagles)

Gimme 3 Steps

Pride and Joy

Thoughts....

That's ten songs. Three of which aren't country.. one of which is obscure by modern standards.

If you guys really wanna add some country that will still fit with party vibe.. here are my ten suggestions

"Friends In Low Places" - They will all sing "at the Oasis".. trust me on that.

"Chicken Fried" - Zac Brown is popular with way more than just country crowd.

"Country Girl Shake It" - I'm telling you.. Cupid Shuffle levels of dance floor packed. Luke Bryan is one of the most popular artists in any genre right now. Women love this song. If you only add one country song, add this one. 

"Gunpowder and Lead" - I don't like this song.. but it's popular, and has attitude that women will respond to, seeing as how you have a woman to sing it.

"We Are Never, Ever, Getting Back Together" - Any Taylor Swift song.. she's stupid popular right now.. but this one has a fun vibe that could work in bar.

"Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy" - Not as fresh.. but this still has legs, and has a good party feel

"Cruise" - A great singalong.. and people seem to know it across genres.

"Wagon Wheel" - Although this is folksy/Social D/Dropkick Murphys style punk as well as country, seeing as how Against Me's cover of this helped it gain a LOT of traction.

"Redneck Woman" - Again, if you have a chick singer that can cover it.. this is the way to go. Attitude, and a fun song.. and I'd think it would work well in your area.

"Pontoon" - A fun song.. should go over with a WIDE range of people.

Other than that.. I'd say "Dirt Road Anthem" by Jason Aldean... "A Little Less Talk, A Lot More Action" by Toby Keith.. "Sold" by John Micheal Montgomery.. "Beat This Summer" by Brad Paisley... and most everything that sventvkg mentioned (except maybe "Banjo"... and I'd pick just one or two of the less "rocky" ones like "You Gonna Fly", "Alone With You", and the rest in that style..).

Archived