Build the perfect setlist (By Committee!)

• Members

A common thread that I have noticed on here lately is criticism of song choice ie. "Dad Bands" play tired classic rock, or needs moar new pop. I thought it might be interesting to build the "Perfect" generic setlist as a group.

Imagine that you have your dream band, Tight rhythm section, ripping guitar player, male and female singers that have killer pipes, horns, hip hop MC, DJ, Vienna Boys Choir,  whatever you want you got. List 40 of the absolute best songs you can think of to satisfy a crowd of 21-40 year olds with mixed tastes. Some like country, some pop, some hip hop, some rock. These arent necessarily songs your band does, but songs that the "ideal" A+ cover band would do. Again, sky's the limit as far as instrumentation is concerned

After a bunch of you post your lists I will start tabulating results awarding 1 pointper mention to each song. In the end the top 40 vote getters will comprise the "ultimate" cover band setlist.

My List:

1. Billie Jean
  2. Folsom Prison
  3. Brown Eyed Girl
  4. Blister in the Sun
  5. Wagon Wheel
  6. Don

• Members

I don't know if there is one penultimate setlist.  Certainly some commonality from setlist to setlist, but one?  I don't know.  Depends on the type of gig you're doing, what region of the country you are in, what predominate age group you may be targeting, etc.  For example, we do a classic car club private event every year.  Draws probably over 1500 hot rods etc from all over So Cal.  It's a huge event and it pays really well.  I could never play the setlists that I just posted in the other setlist thread because the age group for this crowd is 50s, 60s and 70s music.  So we created a few setlists just for that demographic.  This will be our third year coming back.  (btw, it may also have something to do with our twenty something girls (singer and bass player) fronting the band in their eye candy R&R uniforms, hahahaha).  Naw, couldn't be that,....must be the brilliant musicianship.

• Members

Here's our proposed setlist for an upcoming 1 set gig. We are using it for exposure, to put a face to the bands name for private parties and weddings.

We are getting paid, but less than our usual 1 set rate. But I think it's a good opportunity, lol as much as I like being the "don't play for cheap" and "people die of exposure" guy. We do songs with keys but we are leaving them out for the same of keeping things simple and saving setup time.

;)

Wild Nights

Authority Song

Dust On The Bottle

She Ain't Pretty

Pour Me

Beer In Mexico

Wagon Wheel

Blow At High Dough

Aimee

When Will I Be Loved

Some Kind Of Wonderful

Home

Courage

• Members

"Don't Stop Believin" by Journey

"I Want You To Want Me" by Cheap Trick

"You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC

"Cupid Shuffle" by Cupid

"Thrift Shop" by Macklemore

"This Is How We Do It" by Montell Jordan

"Country Girl (Shake It)" by Luke Bryan

"Chicken Fried" by Zac Brown Band

"Wagon Wheel" by Darius Rucker or Against Me or Old Crow Medicine Show

"Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy" by Big & Rich

"Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond

"Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison

"Runaround Sue" by Dion and the Belmonts

"Build Me Up Buttercup" by the Foundations

"Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye

"Blister In The Sun" by Violent Femmes

"All Summer Long" by Kid Rock

"My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit

"All The Small Things" by Blink 182

"Crazy Bitch" by Buckcherry (depending on your crowd.. lanuguage policy, etc..)

"Kiss" by Prince

"I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas

"Let's Get It Started" by the Black Eyed Peas

"Shots" by LMFAO

"Sexy And I Know It" by LMFAO

"Livin On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi

"Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry

"Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield

"Your Love" by The Outfield

"What I Got" by Sublime

"Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line

"Low" by Flo Rida