Speaking of Dad bands

• Members

My annual neighborhood block party was this evening. The band, well, sucked. Every faux pas in the book. Cargo shorts, flip flops, subs didn't "work", started songs and stopped to regroup, no sign of harmony, tempo problems, etc.

But hey, they all live in the hood. Work day jobs. Have families. And use music as a hobby. I don't have a problem with that.

What I have a problem with is that they played free, sounded craptastic, when my HOA could have hired me and my neighbors had their faces melted, instead of the new flower bed they planted along the common street ;)

• Members

jcpatte2 wrote:

My annual neighborhood block party was this evening. The band, well, sucked. Every faux pas in the book. Cargo shorts, flip flops, subs didn't "work", started songs and stopped to regroup, no sign of harmony, tempo problems, etc.

But hey, they all live in the hood. Work day jobs. Have families. And use music as a hobby. I don't have a problem with that.

What I have a problem with is that they played free, sounded craptastic, when my HOA could have hired me and my neighbors had their faces melted, instead of the new flower bed they planted along the common street
;)

so if they were all 20 and looked/sounded the same it would have been ok?

• Members

They weren't received all that well. There's a lot of musicians in my hood, as well as people with ears, so it was easy to tell they needed more practice.

A couple of the guys were in their 20s. Age is irrelevant though. If you're playing Eric Church, Luke Bryan, etc. You slap on some jeans and maybe boots too. It's that simple.

• Members

jcpatte2 wrote

My annual neighborhood block party was this evening. The band, well, sucked....

But hey, they all live in the hood...

What I have a problem with is that they played free .... my HOA could have hired me....

I wouldn't sweat that they played for free.  A neighborhood block party isn't about the band - it's about neighbors coming together.  What kind of neighbor comes to a gathering of neighbors and expects to get paid for it? 

We've had a block party in my neighborhood a few years back.  I set up my PA at the end of the driveway ... invited my bandmates over for grilled steaks and drinks ... and an outdoor rehearsal.  A good time was had by all.  The music helped create a central focus for the event - drawing in neighbors who would likely have stayed in little clusters by themselves up and down the block had the music not have been there.     Instead we had the whole neighborhood together eating, drinking and dancing.

There are times when going the Jimmy Thudpucker route and expecting to be paid for each note played isn't what music is all about.   Neighbors playing for neighbors is one of those times.

• Members

They are dads...... Maybe we need a new term. But their words, not mine: "we're a family oriented band" read: our kids all play together while we jam.

Our HOA is a racket. They collect so much $, it isn't funny. Every year they basically redo our shared landscaping because they don't know what else to do with the $. Couldn't pay for a band, yet they still found the $ to feed our entire neighborhood (100+ houses)

I'm not mad these guys were playing, I'm happy they have an outlet to play. I'm not even mad they didn't ask me to play instead (my wrist is broken). I'm just saying you get what you pay for. Restarting songs, forgotten lyrics, cargo shorts, flip flops, out of order subs, and a missed opportunity for people to have a great time included.

• Members

jcpatte2 wrote:

They are dads...... Maybe we need a new term. But their words, not mine: "we're a family oriented band" read: our kids all play together while we jam.

Our HOA is a racket. They collect so much $, it isn't funny. Every year they basically redo our shared landscaping because they don't know what else to do with the $. Couldn't pay for a band, yet they still found the $ to feed our entire neighborhood (100+ houses)

I'm not mad these guys were playing, I'm happy they have an outlet to play. I'm not even mad they didn't ask me to play instead (my wrist is broken). I'm just saying you get what you pay for. Restarting songs, forgotten lyrics, cargo shorts, flip flops, out of order subs, and a missed opportunity for people to have a great time included.

I really don't get what your beef is. This gig doesn't pay. Go play the ones that pay instead if that's your beef.

• Members

I have no beef. Go read my previous posts. Does one need a beef to discuss the music they've witnessed..... Sometimes people just wanna discuss. Isn't critiquing for the betterment of all the point of this forum? If not, then what?

Archived