Dad Bands: your definition.

TheRinger

• Members

Ok, so I don't repeat my mistake about music stands on stage, I did a search on Dad Band Definition. I really didn't find a definition, just a lot of posts that throw the term around. In your eyes, what makes a dad band. Not dad band music, I read that thread. I'm talking about, what is it that when you walk into a bar and see a band, you go, "yep, Dad band." Is it the look, the age, the music, the crowd, all the above.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok, so I don't repeat my mistake about music stands on stage, I did a search on Dad Band Definition. I really didn't find a definition, just a lot of posts that throw the term around. In your eyes, what makes a dad band. Not dad band music, I read that thread. I'm talking about, what is it that when you walk into a bar and see a band, you go, "yep, Dad band." Is it the look, the age, the music, the crowd, all the above.

lol dad bands are radical ,, they dont follow the rules of being a rock star. :wave:

• Members

It's when I look at one of the players and the first thing that comes to my mind is, "Wow. His wife lets him be in a band." ;):lol:

Just kidding, kind of. Tim, you are not in a dad band, imo. To me, a dad band consists of guys who are just trying to get out of the house once in awhile and pretend they're 18 again. There's usually a certain air of amatuerism and show-boating in their playing. They could've just gone fishing, or boating, and they might be dressed the same either way. Your definitions may vary.

• Members

Dad band is a group of guys that honed their skills in their teens through late 20's. They took several years off for carreer and family. Their kids are old enough and the dads have free time. They take their time getting ready to gig, and when they do, they bring higher quality gear across the board, and often a higher level of musicianship than the younger bands.

• Members

LOL... you haven't been around here very long have you. :D

• Members

Dad band is a group of guys that honed their skills in their teens through late 20's. They took several years off for carreer and family. Their kids are old enough and the dads have free time. They take their time getting ready to gig, and when they do, they bring higher quality gear across the board, and often a higher level of musicianship than the younger bands.

:thu:

The OP very much wants this to be a pejorative term.

It would be great if everyone who posts would give some serious thought to this one word. . . .

stereotype

• Members

:thu:

The OP very much wants this to be a pejorative term.

It would be great if everyone who posts would give some serious thought to this one word. . . .

stereotype

So "Jazz band" (for example) is OK but "Dad bad" isn't?

IMO "Dad band" is a perfectly useful term and any "pejorative" sense is in the mind of the listener, which isn't the fault of the person who uses the term to briefly and concisely communicate a whole bunch of information about the look/showmanship, the song selection, and the crowd that one can expect at a typical performance of that band. Just like saying "jazz band" or "screamo band" or whatever.

• Members

So "Jazz band" (for example) is OK but "Dad bad" isn't?

IMO "Dad band" is a perfectly useful term and any "pejorative" sense is in the mind of the listener, which isn't the fault of the person who uses the term to briefly and concisely communicate a whole bunch of information about the look/showmanship, the song selection, and the crowd that one can expect at a typical performance of that band. Just like saying "jazz band" or "screamo band" or whatever.

pe

• Members

The jacket-over-the-graphic-T-shirt is kind of a pretentious stereotype, no?

Why call it a "dad band"? Say what you mean. . . . they're a "sandals band".

Which of course is far worse than an unbuttoned untucked flannel shirt over an undershirt that we saw earlier today . . . . . :facepalm:

• Members

I am a dad and in a band with other dads, but would not call it a dad band. (And no, there are no music stands on stage.)

I always thought that a dad band was a band that came about as a result of the the dads being associated through a related activity, found out each played, and then formed a band, and played at events that were associated with the initial activity.

An example would be that through activities at my son's school, I found out other dads played, we formed a band, and played at open houses, PTA gatherings, etc.

• Members

You both know - or should know - that the OP intended the term to be pejorative. He said he expected to get flamed.

It's yet another example of ageism.

For you, perhaps.

I can think of dozens of local bands/acts that are made at least partially, if not entirely, of people in their 40's-60's and perhaps beyond that I would never consider near the realm of 'dad band'.

It has about zero to do with age as far as I'm concerend, and everything to do with attitude, presentation and ability.

• Members

You both know - or should know - that the OP intended the term to be pejorative. He said he expected to get flamed.

It's yet another example of ageism.

Thankfully gspointer turned it on it's head. I'm pretty sure he saw the same intent that I did.

Well the term "Dad Band" seems to have a negative connotation to it. I'm 42, have kids, play in a band with other dads but never considered our band as a "dad band." our set list includes everything from Metallica, Posion, P!nk, Blackeyed Peas, Buck Cherry, Shinedown, etc. However, that term is thrown around so frequently, I started thinking, maybe I'm in a Dad Band and don't even know it. Gspointer, kind of summed us up. We have gear that your typical 20 year old is probably not going to be able to afford.

• Members

I would think that my band is a "Dad band", but there are several Grandpas in the group. My Son and his Wife of 8 years don't have kids, so I'm just a Dad. The band's youngest member is 51 and the oldest is turning 70. The group concentrates on old-school R&B, Motown and variety dance music. Most of the audience is 40 - 60. It is nice having better equipment than when we were just out of high school. (I'm afraid to add it all up, but $10,000 worth of equipment in just my stable wouldn't surprise me. not including cables.)

Archived