How to go about thickening your schedule?

jw10

• Members

We're pretty much a standard blues rock band.  I see guys on here and locally that are playing ~10 gigs a month.  

How do you go about booking yourself in non-local areas?  Facebook spam all the bars? Call them Up?

Help

• Members

Cold-calling (or preferably, dropping in) can be your only option.  We've swung by places during lunch breaks during work conferences, stopped by after/before visiting family and friends, etc.  My mandolin player just canvassed a new market before picking up his kid from college.  If you ever share bills, you could do a show swap with another, similar band in a nearby town.  I was just talking with a guy in a town and hour away who we hosted here a few months ago trying to find a good time for us to head down their way.

Another possibility is just "thickening" your saturation in your current market.  In the past month or two, we've played dive bars, breweries, an old folks' home, a retirement party, and a music festival.  There's very little overlap between those audiences, so over-saturation isn't really a concern.

Archived