Sharing MP3's from practice?

• Members

I want to be able to share our rehearsal MP3 files with other band members. These are all cover songs. What's the best way to go about this? Is there a web site I can use to upload the MP3 files? Do I need to be concerned with copyright issue because these are cover songs?

Do any of you use Facebook or ReverbNation for this?

• Members

I can't stress how important recording your own rehearsals is, and just how effective it is. People tend to forget stuff at the next rehearsal, and listening to the recording gets EVERY player to listen to their own part in a critical manner and go, "Ewww, I sound like crap! Better not mess up that part again!"

I use a Zoom H2 recorder. You can use any memory card-based digital recorder. Don't bother with cassette or Mini Disc, it's way too time-consuming. If you have enough memory capacity, then record the entire rehearsal and use the wave images in your editor as a cue as to which songs you did. You can also edit "takes" together to show how the song is supposed to go.

I also leave an archive of these mp3s up to show the members how the band has progressed over time.

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators

Actionsquid wrote:

You could just email them. That's how I get my demos to my band.
:idk:

Yes, Actionsquid, that's what you did four years ago. But these days you use Google Drive, and set up a folder you have set to "share" with your bandmates, where you put the demos. Isn't that right?

Archived