orignal band dilema;knowing the difference between paying dues and being taken advantage of

• Members

This is often a question I ask myself and like to relay it to the forum.  I understand that being a new band, not many clubs/promoters will want take a gamble with you. Hell, in my situation, being an original metal band makes me a leper among theives. So I understand that the first couple of shows will have to be freebies if offered.  While my band, which formed this last March, did a few shows which won us some fans. Now, I'm wanting to know when is the exact time to tell bookers/clubs/promoters that we like to have some pay for it now.

• Members

When you can get a crowd of people to show up reliably, venues will want to pay you to play there.  In my area, there aren't metal venues with built-in crowds, so that's really the only way to do it here.  Look at it from the venue's perspective--if you being there causes them to sell more of their product, then it's really easy to make the case that you should get paid.  

• Moderators

Now, I'm wanting to know when is the exact time to tell bookers/clubs/promoters that we like to have some pay for it now.

This is ENTIRELY dependent on where you live and what the music scene is like there.

ENTIRELY.

• Members

Are you selling tickets? Do you book with a bar directly or through another promoter? If it's a promoter, how is he being paid? Door deals around these parts are the norm. And then merch sales. But yeah, look around and see if there is much profit to spare that you are directly responsible for. If so, it's fair to ask for some compensation. Just step lightly.

• Members

For an originals band it is hard. As someone has said above, it is a matter of "can you guarantee a crowd that will increase the venues takings". This, to me, is a lot different to a covers band which is more like the bar staff and more likely to appeal to a range of people. 

Down here, as far as i can tell, most originals bands are playing for drinks, unless they're at the level of having CDs and at least a bit of radio play. There arent many venues where they can play, and those that do, arent exactly in a position to pay much. 

Archived