They are playing for free beer!

jeff42

• Members

I was hanging with a few guys from other bands on Friday night and they were bitching about a band of 21 year olds that are playing for free beer.

They bring a decent crowd of friends too so usually the bars that are hiring them are making out on the deal. I have talked to the guitar player of this "Playing for Beer band" and the kid didn't understand where I was coming from just as much as I didn't understand why he didn't want to get free beer, play music AND be paid for it.

He would just reply, "I just want to play man..."

I did tell the guys bitching, don't worry too much about them. They can't be EVERYWHERE at once and they aren't amazing by any stretch. It is what it is...

Now if 10 bands in our area are playing for free beer then we have a problem.  

• Members

It's all good until them or their drunk friends tear the place up. Only a matter of time.

Now I also wonder if a bar gives a musican free beer and the musican sues the bar for whatever reason and the insurance finds out the bar gave them beer for free, doesn't that make the bartender and or owner responsible since there was no business transaction? (free beer). 

Interesting post, should be interesting see how long they stick around. Look at it this way, if they play for free it means they can leave when they want to as well right?

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

They bring a decent crowd of friends [...] 
don't worry too much about them. [...] they aren't amazing by any stretch.

They could be the worst musicians ever but if they will play for beer AND pack the place with hard drinkin' friends they are going to be "hired" freak.gif.

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

jeff42 wrote:

They bring a decent crowd of friends [...] 
don't worry too much about them. [...] they aren't amazing by any stretch.

They could be the worst musicians ever but if they will play for beer AND pack the place with hard drinkin' friends they are going to be "hired"
freak.gif

true, but like I said. they are the only ones I know of low balling so low its FREE and  they can't play everywhere at once. These guys are worried I just say Raise the bar. make it worth the $$$

• Members

nchangin wrote:

Now I also wonder if a bar gives a musican free beer and the musican sues the bar for whatever reason and the insurance finds out the bar gave them beer for free, doesn't that make the bartender and or owner responsible since there was no business transaction? (free beer). 

I will say this. I never worry about that when I get a few comp'd drinks. 

• Members

My first show back after about 20 years of not playing in bars was in the summer of 2010.  The fellow that managed the place greeted us at set up and said something to the effect of:

"You guys are my employees tonight - and I don't let my employees drink while on the job.  You get one on me".

Seemed like kind of a mixed message - typical of some venue managers - but we had no problems with the guy - and actually enjoyed several gigs there. They stopped having regular live music several months later - but are still operating as nice restaurant/bar in the old city aree of town.

Most places that we play give the bands the same discount on food that they give the staff.  No discounts on booze and no free drinks at any of them.

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

I did tell the guys bitching, don't worry too much about them
. They can't be EVERYWHERE at once and they aren't amazing by any stretch. It is what it is...

Now if 10 bands in our area are playing for free beer then we have a problem.  

Huh?

I have never understood worrying about it, though. A friend of mine bitches about it. Waaahh.

There's nothing that can be done if someone wants to play for zip. Sucks I know.

Archived