I Don't Care, I Love It

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This song reminds me Chumbawumba's "Tub Thumping" so very, very much. It's not so much a song as a collection of parts all put together with some dance-esque vocal hook.

That being said, I'd totally play this with a rock feel if I had a female singer in a band.

• Members

tlbonehead wrote:

took me a while to figure out where the song was. In the title I guess?

The song is bad...really bad. I don't need a lecture about pleasing an audience either please. 

I got this feeling on the summer day when you were gone.

I crashed my car into the bridge. I watched, I let it burn.

I threw your **** into a bag and pushed it down the stairs.

I crashed my car into the bridge.

I don't care, I love it.

I don't care.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

I am not opposed to pop music. But, yes, I hate this song. It's a smart add, but man... Every now and then there well be a song I just don't get. This song is one, pumped up kicks was another.

Every once in a while there's those songs whose strength lies in their simplicity.  I think this is one of those.   As such, it seems more like a punk song to me than pure pop.   Like something the Ramones might have done.

• Members

Simplicity is great, I just find this particular song to have the obnoxious knob turned to 11. But so do most dancing drunk chicks. So this is a slam dunk I'm sure. It's the exact same trait that makes both "infectious." I didn't realize that pun untilI reread that sentence.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

Simplicity is great, I just find this particular song to have the obnoxious knob turned to 11. But so do most dancing drunk chicks. So this is a slam dunk I'm sure. It's the exact same trait that makes both "infectious." I didn't realize that pun untilI reread that sentence.

Good pun!

Such simple songs are as easily hateable as they are likable.  Kind of goes with the territory I imagine.   And they certainly aren't written for musicians to enjoy for their musical attributes.   Probably a good one to play right after "Red Solo Cup" or some such other silliness.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

Not really. Different strokes. IF there's a melody that I like and can sing convincingly. So... not this one. I'll do Katy Perry, T. Swift, and Carly Rae Jepsen though. I'll do their songs, that is.

Isn't any song worth doing that you can't do convincely.  Way too many song choices out there to being doing stuff that doesn't fit your wheelhouse.  

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

Every now and then there well be a song I just don't get. This song is one, pumped up kicks was another.

I agree that both tunes are pretty vapid ... and both get worse if you actually listen to the lyrics.  

I will admit that "Pumped Up Kicks" has actually turned into somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me ... I've got a single almost atonal chord to play during the long intro ... and some airy color chords to play in the chorus.  One night, back when we first started playing the song - I stepped on my sustain pedal, backed the volume pedal off completely and struck the atonal chord - and started goofing around with our female vocalist (who, except for during the chorus is idle for most of the song (our bass player sings it).  I bring the atonal chord in and out as necessary with the expression pedal - while goofing around with our female vocalist with a "look ma - no hands!" parody.  It's one of the few tunes we do in which I'm not busy as hell ... so it's actually sorta fun!

I'm fortunate in that I can't think of anything in our playlist (including some of the most overplayed, beaten to death tunes) in which I can't find something that I actually enjoy when playing them.  It might be a certain sound, the "ying and yang" interplay in a rhythmic passage, the challenge of a difficult keyboard part of vocal harmony, a goofy lyric that makes me chuckle (the "boom boom shacka lacka lacka boom" phrase in "Walk the Dinosaur" jumps to mind :smileyvery-happy: ) or as in this case - just goofing with a band mate.  However, there's always something in every tune that I enjoy!   I consider myself lucky in this regard ... I can't imagine how the guys that hate something about so many tunes manage to get thru the night! 

• Members

Continuing to insert myself into the music-related topic of other people's disagreements.

I am at both extremes. I am in an original band and we only will do a cover if it is both an artist who influences us AND a song that fits the atmosphere of the show, and one that we'll knock out of the park. It isn't a call that I get to make... well... ever. Learning a cover only requires me to listen to it and sing along a couple times. Other guys who have the hard part of learning riffs and fills and getting the music tight tend to be the ones who control whether a song is learned or not. So no AIC covers for us. We did do a beautifully arranged cover of Teenage Dream once, that went over well, but some guy said he lost respect for us and we haven't played it again. I think we're too picky if anything, though covers aren't really the point. The only time I've seen a local band booed was a metal band doing a pop cover.

On the other hand, when I play solo, I will play anything that I find to be catchy. I know what my "style" is, and there aren't many melodies that I can't do in it. I'm gonna bang out some chords and I'm gonna sing it with passion. If I had more integrity I would be staying home and leaving the solo gigs to better musicians.

I'm not really saying anything of much relevance here it turns out. Lots of people seem to love the song, so I don't think it's any stretch to believe that most of the people playing it enjoy it.

• Members

"No friggin way. I have no desire to play that  tune- it's dreadful.""

-----

Actually, my bassist said that about "I Love It."   But...it's a big song right now, people love it, people dance to it, people sing to it, and it makes the party keep partying.  So he plays it and even though he hates the song, he enjoys the reaction the band gets when we play it.  As long as it works, we'll keep playing it.  As soon as it doesn't, he'll be the first to say ok let's cut it. 

• Members

Any debate in which a cover musician attempts to establish some sort of moral high ground by asserting that these songs somehow have "integrity" while those songs don't - is so misguided it's laughable.  In addition to being laughable - I find the arrogance that underlies such claims (which is that the musician making the claim somehow  has some sort of special powers that enables them to divine which tunes have "integrity" and which tunes don't) - to be mildly offensive.

Debate objective attributes of a song if you feel the need.  Things like a song's degree of complexity, amount of critical acclaim it has received, commerical success it has attained, etc. - are all objective attributes that can argued.   Lay claim to having "integrity" because you only perform originals.   But, puhlease! - don't embarass yourself and insult the rest of us by trying to tell us that your taste in cover tunes is somehow better than ours simply because the tunes you like intrinsically have more "integrity" than what others may like. 

Archived