iPad and OnSong

• Members

I just got both!   So anyone that has any quick tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.   What are the best websites for chord charts that are easily imported?  Do most of you guys prefer to create your own charts?  What are the best ways to organize songs?   Any good online tutorials?  

• Members

Good questions.   I suspect the answer to your questions about websites depends alot on the type of charts you typically use.   The charts I tend to use are typically the "lyrics annotated with chord symbols" type charts.  For these - I haven't found anything on the web that I use without modification (either fixing the "wrong" chords most tunes seem to have ... or ... trimming out "waste" (repeated sections, title and other non-critical text, etc.) so that the chart will display on a single screen wherever possible. 

Typically - I create my own charts right within OnSong.  I picked up a tiny BlueTooth keyboard that I grab went drafting them.  (Again, most of my charts are my "custom" collection of chord symbols used in a tune - rather than a fully blown chart).   When I do grab something off the internet - I usually just "cut and paste" whatever I need into Windows Notepad on my laptop - push that out to DropBox - then import it into OnSong directly from Drop Box. 

As far as song organization goes - I've created Books for each of my projects.   When I add a new song to the song library - I include it in each book as appropriate.  That way, when I create "set lists" - all the songs performed by a given group shows up in that group's "book". 

Because I use OnSong to create my setlists - it's necessary for each song to have a presence in the song library - even if it's just a blank page with just the song title on it.  That means even songs like "Mustang Sally" (which I'll never need a chart to play....) has a page in my library with just a title on it.  Without it a page - you can't add it to a playlist. 

I've been using OnSong on an iPad for a little more than a year now.   I've got somewhere near 450 songs in my collective library - and love it.   One of the things that I do as well - is link an audio file (MP3, MP4, etc.) of the original recording to each song.   I find it extremely helpful when reviewing tunes during my personal practice.  Being able to scroll through a band's Book of tunes - and be able to hear the original with a touch of the button is handy.

• Members

That's all good info!   And I use mostly "lyrics with chord symbols" charts as well.   But sometimes I use full on sheet music when we're learning a "one off" for a wedding or some such.  (For one thing, the "official" sheet music is usually much more 'correct' and requires less editing on my part.

I presume as long as I can save the sheet music to PDF it imports to OnSong just as well?

• Members

I've been on it the last week or two (or whenever that "Onsong is free on Itunes" post was).

I just yesterday finished importing and customizing everything,... can't think of anything I don't like about it yet.

I DO have a question if any of you knows the answer.

It seems to have its own sort of "HTML" (for lack of a more informed word) inside the editing feature (the little pencil icon). I've been able to figure out some of this "code" but wonder if anyone here knows of a guide of all the "editing code" or symbols

**for bold

so on and so forth....

• Members

J.Paul wrote:

I've been on it the last week or two (or whenever that "Onsong is free on Itunes" post was).

I just yesterday finished importing and customizing everything,... can't think of anything I don't like about it yet.

I DO have a question if any of you knows the answer.

It seems to have its own sort of "HTML" (for lack of a more informed word) inside the editing feature (the little pencil icon). I've been able to figure out some of this "code" but wonder if anyone here knows of a guide of all the "editing code" or symbols

**for bold

so on and so forth....

Have you looked at the documentation that is available via the Tools menu?   It's been awhile since I looked at the documentation - but I vaguely recall seeing some details regarding editing in there.  

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

How much was the Bluetooth keyboard?

Here's what I'm using - Bluetooth Keyboard      I ended buying $15 - purchased from a guy I work with who originally bought it for his wife - who never used it.   To be honest, I bought it primarily because I wanted the "non-destructive" arrow keys - so that I could place the cursor exactly where I want it when editing my chord charts.   I got tired of endlessly stabbing the iPad screen with my fat fingers hoping to get the cursor where I wanted it.   The frustration reduction alone made it worth the $15 I spent on it.  

• Members

What sort of stand do you use? 

Does anyone use the suction-cup mount stand from GigEasy?   I'd like a stand that I can integrate into my keyboard setup as much as possible so it looks more like part of the rig rather than the dreaded music stands! 

Right now I use two Ultimate Support stands.  I'm thinking I could lower the keyboard on the second stand and mount the iPad above it either attaching it to a set of the Ultimate bars, or to the frame of the stand itself using the suction-cup mount.  Or something else....

.....mmmm, I miss the days when one could actually go to a store and see how things look and work.  Buying stuff online is great and all, but.....

Archived