Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don Felders book about the Eagles?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently picked this book up and can't put it down; I am amazed at all of the cross pollination that was going on back then. I had no idea these guys ran in the same circles as Tom Petty, Grahm Nash, Stephen Stills, Jackson Browne to name a few. Pettys band jumping off the stage to kick the crap out of that chicks drunk boyfriend was hysterical.

Just got to the part where he meets the Eagles for the first time; the line about Henley being aloof and Don writing it off as "pre show nervousness" is classic.

Not to mention Linda Ronstadt...The Eagles STARTED as her tour band...
    Frey, henley, Meisner, and Leidon...
    Joe Walsh and Don Felder were the best things to happen to the Frey/Henley circus...TB Schmidt was a cool cat too
    My divorce is almost final!

Comment

Not to mention Linda Ronstadt...The Eagles STARTED as her tour band...
      Frey, henley, Meisner, and Leidon...
      Joe Walsh and Don Felder were the best things to happen to the Frey/Henley circus...TB Schmidt was a cool cat too

I happen to agree with you all the way, but there were a lot of people back then who didn't. The Eagles lost a lot of fans for going "too rock".
      They probably gained ten fans for every fan they lost though.
      "I Want To Soak Up The SUNN !! "

Trying to "shred" it [Comfortably Numb] is like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa - babalugats85 -

"Fat girls are like mopeds. They're lots of fun 'til your friends see you on one"
      - TIMKEYS-

Comment

Felder was the sensitive 'Eagle'. Could have even been 'Sam The Eagle'.

Just finished the book. Excellent read. I have incredible respect for Felder's enthusiasm being a musician. Certainly next to Bernie, the most honest guy in that band... possibly to fault. I empathize with his situation and what he went through, but I can't help but think his perception of his 'role' in the band and how he affected the other personalities in the group is a bit clouded. I have no doubts that Henley and Frey are probably the two biggest douchebags in rock history, that Walsh is a talented addict and Tim Schmidt, smart enough to collect a mega paycheck.... but Felder comes across as a bit of a whiner. There were times in the book I kept envisioning Maury in 'Goodfellas' "Jimmy ... I need my money, where's my cut". He eludes several times he had 'control' issues at home. Even his wife found him a little miserable to be around when he wasn't on tour. He seems to be a pretty 'deep' if sometimes depressed personality to be around. I few times I found myself saying 'lighten up man'. He smiled alot onstage, and show great talent and affinity for guitar playing but really lacked any capacity to understand the 'business'. I'm not saying he didn't have sufficent reasons to question or challenging things, but it was a battle he couldn't possibly win. For someone lacking any business sense whatsoever I find it amazing he didn't **************** things up sooner.

Still, whatever he earned in the 'settlement' (he seemed pretty happy about it) he deserved every last cent of it. He should have sued Irv Asnoff (manager) for misrepresentation.

Prior to this book Felder was a mystery to me. I had no real idea what his contributions in the group were. Probably the biggest eye opener for me was how (especially in later years) creatively sterile this group had become. The entire songwriting process a controlled dictatorship... and how much help they had writing classic and present tunes.
        so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

I think it's a little harsh to criticise Henley and Frye based on Felder's account, kinda one sided....having been in a band for five minutes, it's kinda hard to believe they actualy lasted as long as they did...I think in many bands that start out democratic, it becomes clear who the creative forces are, the ones with talent ect...and as such, they end up running things, setting the direction.

Anyway you cut it, the Eagles were a solid band, one of the best, and the most creative...as far as talent goes, you really can't get better, always impressed with their harmonies/vocals.

Comment

Working...
          X