Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Don Felders book about the Eagles?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on the Hell Freezes Over DVD, it's Felder, not Frey playing the solo on "I can't tell you why".

In fact, with a couple of minor exceptions, Frey only plays rhythm on the DVD. Solos are shared between Walsh and Felder.

I once read an interview of Henley a couple of years ago. He was pretty clear that Frey calls the shots... I always thought Henley did.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>I want to remind you once again of grammar's importance: Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.</b></div>

Comment

on the Hell Freezes Over DVD, it's Felder, not Frey playing the solo on "I can't tell you why".

In fact, with a couple of minor exceptions, Frey only plays rhythm on the DVD. Solos are shared between Walsh and Felder.

I once read an interview of Henley a couple of years ago. He was pretty clear that Frey calls the shots... I always thought Henley did.

Henley didn't really become his own man, as a songwriter, until Hotel California. He'd contributed several hits before then, but not with the scope he displayed on H.C.
      That's one reason why The Eagles only lasted one more solo album, Henley was stockpiling great songs, and Frey didn't have the material to match him.

The proof was their respective solo careers, in the 80s.
      Frey had a few hits on uneven albums, while Henley totally blew up, writing songs that have become pop/rock standards and becoming one of the biggest artists of the decade.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Music -<br />
      <br />
      My band: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband" target="_blank">http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband</a></div>

Comment

I really enjoyed the book.

I'm neither a big Eagles fan, nor an Eagles hater.

Frankly, I consider them to be a 'greatest hits' band - That is, a band where if you have the Greatest hits CD and nothing else, you're not really missing anything.

They were a decent easy listening band (think Bread, or America) until they added Felder and Walsh, and then for two albums they became a 'classic rock' band.

That being said, Henley and Frey have always seemed to be world class douchebags with a grotesquely inflated sense of their own importance.
        x

Comment

Henley was a cock
          frey started out cool but became a cock
          Henly hated Joe walsh, Frey loved him
          Frey hated Don Felder, Henley loved him
          T B Schmidt was the only one flying under the drama radar...

Now they are like kiss...strictly a business venture...henley and frey despise each other but KNOW this business, The Eagles, needs them both...so they carry on for da $$$$...Felder was just a guitar player, he did not sing ONE hit...the rest of them did...so of course to maximize $$$ they replace everyone not needed to sing the hits...Schmidt, Walsh, Frey, Henley...they all have key Eagles tunes necessary to the set list...
          <div class="signaturecontainer">My divorce is almost final!</div>

Comment

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/933549/

"And by tomorrow morning I'll have Glen Frey's stink all over me." ROT mo-fuggin' L

Felder is a band owner, right? It is split 3 ways with Frey, Henley, and Felder right? So that means, even tho' they won't let him play with them, he laughs all the way to the bank. They still have to pay when they play anything he wrote, and he gets an owner's % of the profits, onstage or off.....mailbox money DEEEE-luxe
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Arial">&quot;Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be </font><font face="Arial Black"><font size="2">violent and original</font></font> <font face="Arial">in your work&quot; - Gustave Flaubert</font></div>

Comment

Henley was a cock

Now they are like kiss...strictly a business venture...henley and frey despise each other but KNOW this business, The Eagles, needs them both...so they carry on for da $$$$...Felder was just a guitar player, he did not sing ONE hit...the rest of them did...so of course to maximize $$$ they replace everyone not needed to sing the hits...Schmidt, Walsh, Frey, Henley...they all have key Eagles tunes necessary to the set list...

There's a lesson here for non-singing guitar players:

You are utterly replaceable, so shut the hell up!

Seriously though, if you don't sing, don't expect to call the shots and don't be surprised when you are sent packing for someone who can do both.

Which I think anyone should be able to do.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">What the world needs now is another folksinger.<br />
              <br />
              Like I need a hole in my head.<br />
              <br />
              -- Cracker<br />
              </div>

Comment

• New Trail
                New Trail commented
                Editing a comment

Tele-vania65000 wrote:
                Henley was a cock

Seriously though, if you don't sing, don't expect to call the shots and don't be surprised when you are sent packing for someone who can do both.

Yeah, take THAT, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Robin Trower, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Steve Morse, Richie Blackmore, Duane Allman, and Jeff Beck.......you non-singing losers!

Henley was a cock
              T B Schmidt was the only one flying under the drama radar.

Tim Schmidt probably doesn't care, since he does fine as a solo artist and session guy.
              He's so laid-back and good-natured, he's even buddies with Randy Meisner...which also says something about Randy, IMO.
              You wanna talk about somebody who should hold a grudge against Frey and Henley? After Meisner quit the Eagles, he's pretty much been persona non grata.
              Frey and Henley's faces when they were inducted into the R&RHOF made it clear they were barely tolerating Randy's presence.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Music -<br />
              <br />
              My band: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband" target="_blank">http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband</a></div>

Comment

That book was FASCINATING.

I always had a ton of respect for Don Felder, because I knew the story about Hotel California, and always admired his tasteful playing, but I never knew about the **************** Frey and Henley put him through. I already thought those two were self-absorbed ****************************s (especially Frey), and the book only served to provide more support for that theory.

Brian V.
                "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

But i see Felder now singing with his band on youtube. Why didn't he sing the scatter tune with the Eagles? On youtube he's singing Hotel California but on a lower key i believe. Maybe he just didn't want to. I can't remember "Visions". I will have to check that out.

Comment

But i see Felder now singing with his band on youtube. Why didn't he sing the scatter tune with the Eagles? On youtube he's singing Hotel California but on a lower key i believe. Maybe he just didn't want to. I can't remember "Visions". I will have to check that out.

They wouldn't allow him to sing, basically.
                    Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

Which I think anyone should be able to do.

I share the lead vocal in my band. Personally if i didn't sing or couldn't sing i would never have had any interest in picking up an instrument. Actually i get bored when i'm not singing but it's nice to rest the vocal chords though. Felder mentioned in his book that he would've like to lower the ticket price and have the Eagles do back to back shows in the same city. That's easy when you don't sing, but back to back nights on songs that are high to sing is pushing the vocals.

Comment

Tim Schmidt probably doesn't care, since he does fine as a solo artist and session guy.
                        He's so laid-back and good-natured, he's even buddies with Randy Meisner...which also says something about Randy, IMO.
                        You wanna talk about somebody who should hold a grudge against Frey and Henley? After Meisner quit the Eagles, he's pretty much been persona non grata.
                        Frey and Henley's faces when they were inducted into the R&RHOF made it clear they were barely tolerating Randy's presence.

Randy wrote and sang what is probably their biggest hit...take it to the limit...well its up there
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">My divorce is almost final!</div>

Comment

If I ever get to the point where I am whining about my life, doing endless lines at 45000 feet, under a dog pile of hot groupies, in a Learjet flying to Europe, on a sold out tour....shoot me..

Comment

Randy wrote and sang what is probably their biggest hit...take it to the limit...well its up there

Uh, no. They had at least five songs that charted higher and have had more lasting power (more, probably).

But it is sort of an iconic Eagles song, and most people don't know it's Randy singing...so that makes it cooler, to me.
                            Brian V.
                            "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

What Eagles songs did Felder sing lead on? I am drawing a blank, other than the "Heavy Metal" song from the movie, that wasn't Sammy Hagar.

You are correct but Heavy Metal wasn't an Eagles song either. It was him solo on that soundtrack.

Comment

Working...
                              X