Street performing/selling cd's in Los Angeles?

• Members

I'm trying to come up with ways to promote my band, but one of the ideas I had, I'm not sure is legal.

I was thinking that during the school year, my band could set up camp outside local high schools around the time school gets out.  Just acoustic guitars, vocals, drummer playing a cajon, no amps or speakers.  We could set up a table and have ep's to sell.  Should be easy-peasy, kids get to hear us play acoustic stuff live as they get out of school, and hopefully we make a few bucks selling cd's. 

The thing I'm unsure on is wether this could be considered loitering or soliciting, or do we need a permit to do this?  I've been searching for stuff online and I can't find anything for los angeles.  It seems like it should be legal, as I did come across one site that said only certain areas require a permit (like 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica), leaving the implication that performing and selling cd's on the street in general Los Angeles is legal.  And another Q&A site for some legal counselor said street performing in LA is okay.  However, I am not 100% sure.

If anyone who knows better could explain the legality to me, and also send me a link to an official site that spells this out (if such a thing exists),  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks a bunch!

• Members

Yuck. Something about setting up outside a high school gives me the creeps. It might not be illegal, but you'll definitely get hassled by school authorities. And when you make the news, the story will be about filthy musicians serenading underaged girls.

The times where we've filled out paperwork to busk, there's always been a "tips but no sales" requirement. Your best bet for selling stuff is to be where people are already buying stuff. We've had decent luck at farmer's markets, but I image craft fairs would be even better, since people are shopping for things at a CDs price point.

• Moderators

Chicken Monkey wrote:

Yuck. Something about setting up outside a high school gives me the creeps. It might not be illegal, but you'll definitely get hassled by school authorities. And when you make the news, the story will be about filthy musicians serenading underaged girls.

The times where we've filled out paperwork to busk, there's always been a "tips but no sales" requirement. Your best bet for selling stuff is to be where people are already buying stuff. We've had decent luck at farmer's markets, but I image craft fairs would be even better, since people are shopping for things at a CDs price point.

Well... to each his own I guess. I think it's a fantastic idea. Of course, the band has to be the right age and style for that group of people. But I think finding new ways to perform for your target audience is paramount. Go for it. Draw a little crowd. Get them talking about you. Why go through the normal channels when you got balls like this?

This doesn't give me the creeps, this makes me smile with admiration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Damn, this is asking for trouble about 10 different ways, especially in LA. You don't want to be splitting legal hairs when the cops show up.

Just do it the old-fashioned way... ask around until you find somebody willing to let you use their backyard, basement, living room, etc. etc. and go from there.

Archived