Gene Simmons on rock bands and the state of the record industry

• Members

Interesting timing for him to say anything you give away will ( salty) you, and then follow that up immediately by saying rappers were the ones making money, when they've been giving away mixtapes for years and years.

Certainly speaks no small degree of truth though.

• Members

Kiss wrote great songs in their early career.  He's a decent singer and can play bass pretty damn well.  I'm not in the Kiss Army, and I'm certainly no fanboy of theirs, but I always respected their success, and early on, it relied on good music as much as a good show.  

Regarding the video- I pretty much second everything guido said.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

Rock has no singular thing to rebel against, especially as it pertains to itself. That's definitely a problem.

Good point.   Rock began largely as a rebellion against the older generation.  Hard to do that now that so many rockers are now reaching their 70s.....

• Members

Of course he hates anything that is not commercial. He has set his life up to be who he is/  He just can't relate to any other aesthetic as it makes no sense to him. If you don't agree with him, you're a liar. Typical. 

Why would anyone want to chase the artistic aesthetic Allan Holdsworth does? In Gene's mind, he rationalizes any decision that relates to art as an opportunity to make money. And anyone who doesn't do that same thing is either fooling themselves or doing it wrong.

Fook that.

• Members

3shiftgtr wrote:

Why would anyone want to chase the artistic aesthetic Allan Holdsworth does? In Gene's mind, he rationalizes any decision that relates to art as an opportunity to make money. And anyone who doesn't do that same thing is either fooling themselves or doing it wrong.

I don't know that I quite got a that from his comments.  He mostly seemed to be saying that if you're selling merchandise, then you're doing the same thing KISS is doing, albeit to a lesser degree, so pretending it's all just about the art is hypocritical.

Then again, I really don't want to spend much time defending Simmons, because the guy IS a certifiable douchbag.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

I don't think selling a t-shirt is the Kiss business, especially when it's not the primary revenue stream by choice. It's more of a necessity in this age.

If anything, It's the Beatles business. From what I understand, they had merch out the wazoo...

Archived