Do any of your bands carry a spare FOH mixer?

• Members

I think I mentioned in another thread that we're thinking of dispensing with both our present FOH and monitor mixers and going with a single digital mixer.   But I worry a bit about putting all our eggs in one digital basket.  Not only do digital mixers (at least it seems to me) have less available work-arounds in case something - or - another fails in the chain, but with so much running through one unit, should it fail, then it's Show Over. 

The obvious solution is to keep the old mixer (or another one) in the trailer just in case.  We wouldn't have the same set up or flexibility, but at least we'd be able to limp through the gig.

While I've always liked having a certain degree of redundancy in the stage setup, I've never actually carried a spare FOH mixer around.  (Nor ever needed one).   How many of you guys do this?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A spare mixer saved my ass about a week ago, I had borrowed a larger mixer to do an outdoor gig, I had hired a horn player and needed to mic cabs, drums, horns, etc. 10 minutes before show time I still couldn't get the larger mixer to work. My fault really for not doing a dry run at my house. Turns out it had a small "mute all channels" button that I had overlooked. In any case, having my 8 channel board in the van saved the day, had to nix a mic on the bass cab, no overhead or Vox for the drummer but the sound was ok and the show went off without any further problems.

• Members

sweatpat wrote:

Turns out it had a small "mute all channels" button that I had overlooked. 

LOL... This happened to me last week with MY OWN board. Of course I was in full panic mode because I had about 15 minutes until start time.  It took about 10 minutes before I realized what was up. 

• Members

The only time I bring a spare is when we are playing somewhere in the boonies and I cannot get to a GC or equivalent within 30 minutes of the venue.  That occurs rarely.  Part of my routine before leaving for the gig is finding the closest music store to the venue and its hours of operation.  Our sound checks are always well before closing time of any of the stores.

• Members

Chicken Monkey wrote:

If we had one, we'd bring it.  As is, we've got a lot of spare channels on our mixer, an eletrical engineer in the fold, and we could probably
run the vocals through the power amp
and play instruments through the amps if it came down to it.

Ask your electrical engineer if that would work. Without some sort of pre-amp I doubt it. I Have a little  soundcraft notepad mixer 124 I bought recently from Musician friend. It was one of their "stupid deal of the day" bargains. I paid $79.99 for it. It is small enough to not take up any room and has 4 mic channels and some 1/4 inch inputs. If need be my band could limp through a gig with it.

• Members

sweatpat wrote:

A spare mixer saved my ass about a week ago, I had borrowed a larger mixer to do an outdoor gig, I had hired a horn player and needed to mic cabs, drums, horns, etc. 10 minutes before show time I still couldn't get the larger mixer to work. My fault really for not doing a dry run at my house. Turns out it had a small "mute all channels" button that I had overlooked. In any case, having my 8 channel board in the van saved the day, had to nix a mic on the bass cab, no overhead or Vox for the drummer but the sound was ok and the show went off without any further problems.

one of my main mixers has that feature. Very handy for breaks!

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Well, a four channel mixer isn't going to be of much use for a LOT of bands. I'm thinking I could probably get by with the Alesis 12R we usually carry in a pinch, but that's severly pushing it. More likely I'll need a proper 16 channel mixer.

I suppose if you use edrums and no amps that's true, or it's a large venue. I've have six mics and a acoustic guitar into my 4 channel mixer - with "Y" cords you can put two mics into each channel no problem smile.gif.

So, I'm curious what you have going on in your band where you couldn't limp through a gig with a four channel (plus line input) mixer?

• Members

When we upgraded from the powered mixer we started with to the 32 channel mixer we have now, I would still occasionally bring the powered mixer just in case the board failed. After many gigs, I just stopped bringing it, but I did bring it one other time for an out of town gig. It disturbed my drummer, because when we were packing up the van, he thought I was leaving the big mixer home and replacing it with our old powered one! :smileyvery-happy: I assured him I just wanted a backup in case something happened. Nothing did, so I don't bother anymore.

Still, it might be a good idea to keep bringing it, since I could use either the mixer or the power amp in case either one of those goes out. It doesn't take up that much room. If all I played were gigs way out of town, I would definitely bring backups for everything.

Archived