listening to music

Kramerguy

• Members

Do you do it anymore?

I mean really "listen" to it, not as background noise, or in the car when you are focused on driving..

This morning, I actually put on the headphones, leaned back, closed my eyes, and went through quite a few songs.. 

What hit me is this is the first time in a LONG time that I actually "tuned in" to listening, and also that stereo mixes are lost in most listening these days.. I almost forgot how much I can enjoy just listening :)

This thread brought to you by Brawndo .. it's got electrolytes.

• Members

Lately, when I take the time to listen just to listen, it's usually from the handful of 5.1 surround sound discs I have.   I'm sorry those formats didn't succeed better, because it takes the recorded-music listening experience to a whole new level for me.   Albums I've heard a million times have new life with different mixes and, as a mucisian, I love the increased detail in hearing the different instruments and voices.

• Members

This is what has drawn me to vinyl of late. You invested in the music, you put it on the turntable, you're going to have to flip it over, you damn well better actually listen to it. It's the exact opposite of the easy access Spotify mindset, which I do also enjoy.

• Moderators

I listen to music intensely everyday. I'll get on a kick and explore something for a concentrated amount of time plus regular listening. So, for instance, right now it is Rubenstein's Chopin Nocturnes. It's been about 4 weeks of that. Plus other listening. It might be Deep Purple's Machine Head for a week plus others. Glen Gould's Bach's Goldberg Variations. Old and newer. Then Modern Country to explore writing techniques. Max Martin pop production for weeks...

I've listened this way everyday for 40 years now. 

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Lately, when I take the time to listen just to listen, it's usually from the handful of 5.1 surround sound discs I have.   I'm sorry those formats didn't succeed better, because it takes the recorded-music listening experience to a whole new level for me.   Albums I've heard a million times have new life with different mixes and, as a mucisian, I love the increased detail in hearing the different instruments and voices.

I agree.  I have the Classic Yes album on 5.1 and it's pretty damn amazing.  Sadly, that's the only 5.1 recording I've bought.  it was when that market failed that I began to suspect that "hi-fi" was on the downswing.

I've taken a particular interest recently in listening to 80's mixes, everything from pop to rock.. and the stereo mixes are rather amazing.. very clever to say the least.  A lot of the synth-pop was very well mastered.  On the flip side, a lot of metal was just vomited up as fast as possible it seems.. There are some well mastered metal albums in there, but it's not the status-quo lol.

I've decided that I'm going to take 1 hour at least 3x weekly to just sit back and put on the headphones, close my eyes, and enjoy something new and unique (rather: old and cherished.. but actually listening more).

Lee- you wouldn't happen to know where I can find some Tchaikovski that is a notch above the rest in recording quality?  Or hell... any classical of that age- Wagner, Bernard, Silvestri, Fuchs, etc..  I can't seem to find a great modern recording anywhere.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

This is what has drawn me to vinyl of late. You invested in the music, you put it on the turntable, you're going to have to flip it over, you damn well better actually listen to it. It's the exact opposite of the easy access Spotify mindset, which I do also enjoy.

Love me some vinyl.  A couple new record stores opened in the area.  I've really been enjoying adding to my collection!

• Members

When I "just listen", it is almost ALWAYS vinyl. It's an event. One of the things I like to do is go to the used record store and pick up some fifty cent records of artists that never made it. Usually they are in like-new condition. I've found some real gems as well as some real crapola. But since each record is less than the price of a candy bar, big deal. But it it has caused me to really broaden my musical foundations. I've gotten some great ideas from no small number of these albums.

One of the things that is kind of annoying since I became a musician around the turn of the century is that it kind of screwed up listening to music. Instead of just listening, I find myself sort of mentally competing with the artist and wonder if my band could do that, or if I could start a band that can do it. I have a hard time just enjoying it. Not that I don't, but I have to break through that barrier before I can.

I still hate rap and hip-hop, though.

• Members

Just sat down at my desk well over an hour ago.  I have a decent oldschool PC speaker system with a real active sub and stereo speakers..  I swear these would make great monitors lol.  Pulled up my 320 bitrate mp3's recorded from vinyl of both Kansas albums "Left Overture" and "Point of Know Return"... wow, like a memorex commercial from the 80's lol.

Magnum Opus:  What an incredible way to end an album, and also one of the best recordings I've ever heard.

The Spider, Closet Chronicles, Nobody's Home, and Hopelessly Human are just amazing compositions.  

While this stuff isn't invorgating me as a musician, it's really helping me heal in life and rediscover listening.  I got a lot of drama these days in the personal life and this is a fantastic way to relax.

• Members

The Friday before our daughter was due to be delivered on Monday, I declared Man Day. I played golf that morning, watched The Expendables while eating a steak I grilled for lunch and popped open a bottle of red wine midday, this led to me firing up my sound system and listening to some modern and classic country while laying in the middle of my studio floor. It was ear-opening. Can't wait to do it again, as soon as the wife is back to work and baby is off to daycare.

• Members

jcpatte2 wrote:

The Friday before our daughter was due to be delivered on Monday, I declared Man Day. I played golf that morning, watched The Expendables while eating a steak I grilled for lunch and popped open a bottle of red wine midday, this led to me firing up my sound system and listening to some modern and classic country while laying in the middle of my studio floor. It was ear-opening. Can't wait to do it again, as soon as the wife is back to work and baby is off to daycare.

It's funny you should mention laying on the floor and listening to music - I used to do that all the time when I was a kid...I'd set a pillow down on the floor and move my stereo's speakers in about 45 degrees, crank up the music and lay down on the pillow. I spent many wonderful afternoons and evenings doing that...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I really listen to music at least when I do some transcribing. But otherwise? I may have my headphones on anywhere, but I'm not actually concentrated 100% to the music. I surf the net, hang with friends, read something and at the same time the music is playing but it's not really sinking into the music

Archived