Check out our Demo if You Got the TIme

Pine Apple Slim

• Members

I'm the old guy in this originals band of 20 somethings. I play upright bass. We just did a quick demo of 4 originals and one cover to try and get some gigs. We'll probably never make a dime doin this but its fun. Ain't very much call for original music in the clubs around here. Hopefully we can score a local festival or 2.

I think the lead singer/songwriter pens a pretty good tune. He's prolific & gotta bunch of em, at least a sets worth and more cranking out all the time. 

The stuff with the banjo is esp cool I think. We use it on aprox 1/2 of the original stuff. Its an old 4 string Harmony tenor played w a flatpick.

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/artist_songs/2539491

• Members

I like it, seems like you guys would be fun to watch live. Something sounds rushed in some of the songs, like someone is trying to stay in front of the beat, either the acoustic strummer or drummer's snare I think. You guys play to a click track? It sounds like me trying to play along with a click track, I'm not used to it and I find myself trying to keep up, ultimately out of the groove. Good job for a quick demo.

• Members

I think what your hearing is possibly the drummer. I think its most evident on the 1st track. Hes a guitar player whos only been on a kit for a month or so. I've never played upright in a band with a drummer either so some of it is prob my fault as well. Its was mostly recorded live in the studio. Only overdubs were a few vocs. Some songs were started off with a click if the engineer could get the temo like we wanted, but we were not playing to a click.

The final result is pretty much what we sound like. Hopefully its good enough to get us some gigs. Not much call for original music in clubs around but maybe we can get a shot somewhere, or some local festivals.  Me and the singer/writer have been jamming about a yr. The lead guitar/banjo joined us about 6 mo ago. The drummer just signed on. Dcided it was time to at least try to get out of the living room so we each forked out about $100 for this demo.

• Members

Musically it sounds good, but I think it sounds like most of the music played on radio stations in America. I think you need to put your own stamp on your music and be different if you want to do your own stuff. Please don't get me wrong what your playing is good, but try and think outside the box. Our band also write our own stuff, but we mix our music styles, like mixing rock with reggae or 60s old school with 80s key board. People seem to like it and our gigs always surprise people.

• Members

ChillTheBand wrote:

Musically it sounds good, but I think it sounds like most of the music played on radio stations in America. I think you need to put your own stamp on your music and be different if you want to do your own stuff.

Always the issue it seems:  where do you draw the line between needing to sound "original" and needing to sound like everything else going in America?

• Members

ChillTheBand wrote:

Musically it sounds good, but I think it sounds like most of the music played on radio stations in America. 

You're not from the States are you? This sounds nothing like what's being played in the U.S.

• Members

No from the UK, but I have been to the States a few times. The last time was California in January this year and this type of music seems to be on one hell of alot of radio stations. We traveled down to San Diego where I saw one of the best guitarists I have ever seen, playing in an un-known band at our hotel, what a waste of a talent. Don't get me wrong I like what your playing and I could listen to you guys because I appreciate talent and recognize the hard work that goes into writing your own stuff. I just think that we can all get caught in the same trap of sounding the same, following mainstream music. Nothing will ever change there will never be a music evolution like happened in the 50s 60s 70s 80s. Its just my opinion right or wrong.

Archived