your past bands

jeff42

• Members

just for the hell of it... cuz I am home a bit buzzed and awake at 2am

Silly or bad band names from your past!

I have played in many bands with really bad or silly names. here are some of them and what they played

Azlan- Progessive Metal (originals & covers)

Indecent Exposure- 90s alt rock, grunge, classic rock (covers)

Walking Messiah- grunge & metal (covers)

The Garden Of Poets- 90s alt rock & grunge (covers)

The Servants Of The Broken Toaster- 90s alt rock & grunge (covers)

Wicked Platypus- 90s alt rock, metal & grunge (covers)

The Entire Population Of Lofty- Classic Rock (covers)

Hosewater- Modern Rock, rap rock, Mallcore (covers)

Some are bad, some are just silly. My Favorites are The Servants Of The Broken Toaster & Wicked Platypus.

• Members

just for the hell of it... cuz I am home a bit buzzed and awake at 2am

Silly or bad band names from your past!

I have played in many bands with really bad or silly names. here are some of them and what they played

Azlan- Progessive Metal (originals & covers)

Indecent Exposure- 90s alt rock, grunge, classic rock (covers)

Walking Messiah- grunge & metal (covers)

The Garden Of Poets- 90s alt rock & grunge (covers)

The Servants Of The Broken Toaster- 90s alt rock & grunge (covers)

Wicked Platypus- 90s alt rock, metal & grunge (covers)

The Entire Population Of Lofty- Classic Rock (covers)

Hosewater- Modern Rock, rap rock, Mallcore (covers)

Some are bad, some are just silly. My Favorites are The Servants Of The Broken Toaster & Wicked Platypus.

Yikes...totally embarrassing:

Blue Fog - my first band - had two members who could barely play at all.

Discovery - my second band that actually had bandmates who could play well.

Foul Play - my first band after I moved to California...later became Suite 17 because our original name was so awful that no club owner would give us the time of day.

The T-Tops - my first band after I moved to Alabama. We were mostly blues and soul, with a bit of pop thrown in. We had a decent following.

Rewired - hard and southern rock, were originally called Wired - go figure.

Sweathog - nothing but 70s classic rock

Longshot - mostly country and southern rock

Stolen Jesus Fish - played a lot of "early-MTV" music - Seinfeld fans will know where the name came from.

The Usual Suspects - blues (how uncreative can you get with a band name?)

Mr Whoopee - my now-defunct frat and club rock band. We worked like crazy and had a nice following, and were in regular rotation among three different frats and two sororities, at Auburn. I have never had more fun in my musical life than when I played in this band.

It's also the only time I ever actually named a band. I took it from the ice cream truck in the GTA games.

• Members

Here's my list ....

All Rights Reserved - 70's funk/soul band (while in the Army in Germany '76-'80)

Smoke - 70's funk/soul band (while in Army @ Ft. Bragg in '80)

Spectrum - shortlived wedding act

Walletburger - Shortlived college dorm jam band named after a cafeteria "specialty"

It's My Party - Full time "party" band from my college days

The Shades - weekend classic rock / pop act

Big City - weekend classic rock / country act (The Shades reconstituted)

Doctor Smith - short lived classic rock act

2nd Connection - short lived private party variety act

Groove Band - short lived wedding act

Eastside Jam - jazz project

Rhythm 21 - private party variety act (currently gigging)

Superstars of Rock - party band (currently gigging)

There are a few more ... but damned if I can remember the names. It sure sucks getting old eh?

• Members

The one's I can remember:

Dreams - rock covers

Abandon - rock covers

SNAFU - rock covers and originals

Felony - rock covers and originals

Dirty Trix - rock covers

Feedback - rock originals

The Jack Radcliffe Group - dixieland covers

The Flipside - jazz covers

Arco Iris (Rainbow) - Portuguese covers

Marc Dennis & Atlantis - Portuguese originals

Luis Neves & Centerfold - Portuguese originals

Mace - Portuguese covers

Cobblestone Groove - rock/r&B covers

The Ron Gamache Experiment - jazz/classic rock covers

3rd Shift Jazz - Jazz originals and covers

Bill's Fast Shoes - blues covers

Tema Jazz - Brazillian Jazz covers

The Return - GB (jazz, rock, reggae, polkas, etc)

Firefly - GB

Deja Blue - folk/blues/r&b/classic rock covers

Seven - rock covers

• Moderators

Fluke (my first band and currently I'm producing our reunion album!)

Bratz (very popular local San Diego early 80's cover/orig band. I got lured by the $$$ and chicks.)

Joey Harris and The Speedsters (MCA recording act, too short lived.)

Four Eyes (almost MCA recoring act, signed singles/prod deal, I still play power pop festivals with the guys and have a great power pop album Sweet On the Vine on Zip Records. Produced by yours truly.)

Streetheart (joined for 6 weeks with the offer, "Want to go to Japan? Quit shortly after returning to states. Drummer rocked and is still a buddy. Hey Gary! Let's just say, Japan was great. The band? well... Japan was great.)

Flat Out Liars (Joined when I needed a job. B level bar band with an awesome front man, Paul Geisland rocks!!! The band still rocks, just stuck in the B circuit)

• Moderators

Some of the weirder names...

Ned Pecker

The Swirling Eddies

The Flaming Armadillos

The Spoilers

Ava Booga Pinky

Dick Johnson and the Hard Units

Hock Tooey

The Flaming Armadillos rings a bell. Did you guys get any press, etc. I seem to remember a rhythm & blues group by that name a long time ago...

• Members

I didn't have too many that were oddball or funny. I guess I was in boring bands! :D

Here are some of mine:

Wild Thing (we sucked)

Roxxwell (good band)

Nasty Habits (stolen from the name of the backup vocalists for Motley Crue)

Guilty (the first band I started)

Glare (limited, since I was the only singer)

Blue Steel (a fun group)

Elysian Fields (a lot of tension)

Public Outrage (probably the strangest band I've ever been in)

Thunderstruck (too many chiefs)

Blown Fuse (another fun band for a while, played good music)

The Distractions (garage band that stayed there)

• Members

I was in some college bands, but then I took a hiatus until about 5 years ago, so I only have 3 band names.

Stetson (I named it, we just had 2 guitar players and a bass)

Common Stock (followon name to Stetson when we added a drummer and another guitarist) - funny thing was that the drummer was an orthodox Jew who would not play on Friday nights. Certainly limited our gig possibilities.

The Tim and Bob Show (my current band for the past 4 years).

All these bands played, for the most part, 60s and 70s covers.

• Members

Yellow #5

Jude Haze

BeckyNoodleSoup :lol:

Pik'n Lik'n

B&R Railroad

The Ward

The first 3 were my originals bands, the second of which had two other contributing writers. The third covered bluegrass, old country, 'grassic rock,' some blues, all acoustic with varying band members. B&R is my old country and Americana covers duet, and The Ward was myself, a lap steel, and a bass player--now just myself and lap steel.

• Members

The Flaming Armadillos rings a bell. Did you guys get any press, etc. I seem to remember a rhythm & blues group by that name a long time ago...

No, we were a local band. I came up with the name because I wanted something I was sure no one else would have.

About a year before I left that band, I heard about a band in Canada using it.:facepalm:

Anyhow, this is the only press we ever got, from 1991- I'm the one in the back second from left, about 18 years and 60 pounds ago... :cry: The brick wall should land us a spot in Rock and Roll Confidential's 'Hall of Douchebags!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1345&dat=19910503&id=HssSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=APoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3833,574644

I left that band to go play with the one the drummer had been in. It's when I worked with my first horn section. It was love at first rehearsal!

• Members

DontPanic was christian pop-core. I don't know how it happened.

Bullet Tooth Tony was... something. Melodic hardcore? All I know is that we were absolutely awful.

Vegas Legacy toiled away in a garage for 2 years, laid down a bunch of terrible tracks in a bunch of living rooms, never found a singer, and when the bassist (my roommate) married my ex girlfriend, that was kindof that...

Dirty Skirty is still kicking. Hard. Just straight forward rock and roll. My first time in standard tuning since I was originally learning to play.

http://www.sonicbids.com/dirtyskirty

If you were ever in to ACDC, Crue, or Molly Hatchet definitely give us a try.

• Members

DontPanic was christian pop-core. I don't know how it happened.

Bullet Tooth Tony was... something. Melodic hardcore? All I know is that we were absolutely awful.

Vegas Legacy toiled away in a garage for 2 years, laid down a bunch of terrible tracks in a bunch of living rooms, never found a singer, and when the bassist (my roommate) married my ex girlfriend, that was kindof that...

Dirty Skirty is still kicking. Hard. Just straight forward rock and roll. My first time in standard tuning since I was originally learning to play.

http://www.sonicbids.com/dirtyskirty

If you were ever in to ACDC, Crue, or Molly Hatchet definitely give us a try.

That video of yours I watched was honest to god rock the way it should be played, the way it should be presented and performed. If you never went any further, you could be proud of what you've done so far. And I'm not one to dole out compliments (as anyone who's been around for any length of time here can tell ya!)

Props. :thu:

• Members

off the top of my head:

SFSU jazz band-big band jazz-still one of the hardest gigs I ever did-the reading was tough. Highlight was Mel Martin sitting in for a concert.

Candy-top 40 show band-my first road band-so much fun

Montara-instrumental fusion-still wondering whatever happened to the very talented keyboard player

The JR group-southern rock-a talented singer his sidekick guitarist from Florida-I got to be the second guitarist and we traded and harmonized leads-a lot of fun. We gigged in rock joints in the East bay area.

Frank Biner & the Soul Patrol-Soul, Blues-Frank was a great singer, songwriter, and blues guitarist-he wrote some stuff for Tower of Power I think-he passed away a number of years ago. The band was full of older vets and it was a privilage for me to be there.

Klaus Levi Band-acoustic & electric folk -Klaus was from Italy and had a record deal with an Italian label. We got to tour there after making a record in SF. Great times.

The Sprit of Trakl-rock-played all the big rock joints in SF, we had very good players but got no where.

Ceasar's Latin All stars-salsa, boleros, cumbias, etc. Scary but colorful bandleader dude who owned a huge club-highlight was playing with legendary Cuban percussionist Francisco Aguabella

Bandido-latin Rock-total off the chain party band that somehow got to do gigs opening for many biggies. By far the most outrageous band I ever played in.

Theatre Flamenco of San Francisco-flamenco-my favorite kind of guitar playing-straight up flamenco playing for beautiful women dancers.

Guitarras y Congas-rumba, latin rock-the only band I ever started -many greats from the SF latin rock scene have sat in or been part of it-never gigged more or made more and probably never will.

Theres more that I can't remember the names of.

• Members

did a douglas adams fan name the band?

what's crazy is that i joined the band late in its run and was like oh hell yeah hitchhiker's guide! ...and none of the other guys in the band had even heard of the book.

And bluestrat... It's getting awfully dusty in here... really appreciate the praise. Thanks.

• Members

I'm in bands for a long time so my entries aren't many.

Access- 1987-88 Terrible high school cover band that played battle of the bands. First song we learned was Detroit Rock City... it went downhill from there.

MISCHIF- 89-93 Bad name but pretty good band. College original and cover. Talented players, good songwriting. Sorta an underdog progressive band (Marillion, Rush) smack at the end of hair metal. I remember our biggest payday was $120 split 5 ways. After college we all went separate ways. Still keep in touch with all the members except one.

The Gyno Lotra Men- 92-94- College joke band. Just an excuse to play bars for free beer and make noise.

Where's Grant?-98-2003- Relocated to NYC. Formed band. Punk covers and originals. Good local following, lots of packed shows. Teetered out toward the end.

Nuts In A Blender 2002-03- Same band for the last 8 years. It gets better and better every year.

• Members

Tribute - '89 - High School rock band. Won talent show with an original, played a few school functions.

Gun Metal Gray - '90-'91 - Garage band, classic rock & 80's hair stuff. Couple dive gigs, parties.

Nevermore - '92ish - Rock original recording project. Yeah, I later became aware there was already a band by that name - no danger of getting signed, so no worries.

Murata - '93 - Hard rock originals & covers - bar gigs, popular local/regional act - my first real taste of being a "rockstar".

Liar's Parade - early '94 - Basically, Murata with one guitarist replaced.

Staxx (later changed name to Chameleon) - '94-'97 - Full time touring coverband (few originals sprinkled in). Gigged 4-7 days per week from Wisconsin to Florida and did everything from Pantera to KC & the Sunshine Band. What happens on the road stays on the road.

Headbanger's Ball - '99 - 80's hair band tribute act. Great band, but never got out of the practice room due to various conflicts. However, it lead to....

TK-421 - '02-present - Modern rock originals & party rock covers. Best band I've ever been in. Have released two cds, working on third. Top tier regional band.

• Members

I've been in a Jimmy Buffett cover band, several classic rock cover bands, done tons of solo work and now front my own original project while doing covers to get paid.

:)

TK-421 - '02-present - Modern rock originals & party rock covers. Best band I've ever been in. Have released two cds, working on third. Top tier regional band.

Hands down the best of the original rock I've heard from the HC ranks and beyond. I can't wait for the next CD!

:love::love:

• Members

-Wall to Wall.High school band. Hated the name and on

few times we got to use it someone would say "Like

carpet?"

-The Persuaders. Named after the old Roger Moore TV

series. This was my choice. Band would have gone

further if any of us were any good.

-Strangeways. Great band. Happiest times in a band we

were more like a gang than a band. Cut our chops

together and played marathon 4-5 hour shows per night.

-From the Attic. Liked the guys hated the name.

-Tree Fellas. Two man acoustic duo.

- Lots of solo gigs. Most under my own name and every St.

Paddy's as Paul O'Guiness as the bar owner didn't know

what my last name was for the sign.

-Lots of others that I've forgotten or deemed too unimportant.

• Members

Things get better with age right! :thu: Between TK-421 and Charetta.. my hopes for modern original rock on the HCBWTB is hinged on these two bands.

• Members

Autoscape - first band, originals 1983

Daily Planet - what Autoscape evolved into when we started playing more covers than originals and making money playing out every weekend. Lots of Dead, some Reggae, variety from Alice Cooper to Smokey Robinson.. I left in 1995 due to having a wife-house-kid and I was missing a lot of gigs and practices due to business travel. Band ended 2 or 3 years later.

ZX1000 - side band that I played a few weird gigs with, around 1988?

Phil & the blanks - non serious group played a couple parties .

Shia Moslem and the Militia men - a joke band all original jammy type stuff. we played a couple of parties too.

The Slippers - what we called ourselves at a regular Friday night jam some of the guys I used to be in bands with had because we all wore slippers. We had the same 4 or 5 guys for a few years and the jam is still ongoing with different names and some of the same players. Sometimes we called ourselves the Desecrators for what we did to certain songs .

Night School - current classic rock party band I started playing in 2 years ago. We just played our biggest gig so far last week and have increased our pay to 500 minimum so we seem to be moving in the right direction.

• Members

Mordor....highschool, Detroit :evil:1975-77

Pesence 78...played 1 gig and opened for a band called TOYS...:facepalm:

The Effect....sometimes I hated the 80's....this was one of 'em :facepalm:

The Donna's...Dallas, 82?...next...

Disturbance...cover band

Phoenix Rain...originals...:facepalm::cry:

"SOUP" ...originals and covers and this band is fun....go figure :D

lots of time off between some of these

• Members

whoa....

uh,

Redwood Voodoo Gypsies: originals and covers, bluegrass and grateful dead influenced. i hated the grateful dead. it was a poor fit. good friends though. i left to join button monkey...

Button Monkey: reworked covers with lyrics modified for the company we all worked for. very educational, but they really wanted to be faithful to the originals, and i didnt. i named that band though. they loved the classic rock too much. we turned into robot dog...

Robot Dog: i founded it, named the band, and taught them to play originals. we played in europe. they loved playing covers of R.E.M. they fired me. fired from my own band.. zappa would be proud. they never played again though, so i guess thats a lose-lose.

RobotGod: i founded and named this band as well, and named it just to piss off the previous band who rehearsed in the same building. we rocked. our shows were packed. we won awards from the local press. we were on college radio. then we were on commercial radio. it was awesome. then i went broke, and moved. ok, there may have been a few band dynamic issues there, including the singer dating the drummer, which is bad news. but i also needed to move. that was a hell of a band.

Apocalypstic. they sucked. trite name, some drug problems (not me), the other guitarist wanted to hook up with the singer and failed, leading to angst.. doh. they were long on style and short on substance. we did play one fantastic show where the singer sodomized a gogo dancer while he ate donuts off the floor dressed as a cop. memorable to say the least. i quit when we continued to get thrown out of venues.

D.I.E.: terrible techno. we played some good shows. pretty whack stuff. I got replaced by a friend of the band that got released from prison... it was a poor fit anyway.

Tabloid Baby: a cool project. great keyboard player, fantastic singer, not so much greatness. sometimes the sum is less than the parts? unfortunate. that really should have turned into something great.

Black Dream: a punk band. im not a punk rocker, but i like them personally, we make good music, and everyone contributes. we gig regularly, have fun, and people rock out when we play.

Archived