Best 70's songs?

New Trail

• Members

Not sure about the quickly part but....

East Bound and Down (theme from smoky & the bandit)

some bee gees songs

You didn't mention slow or fast dance songs so....

check out some late 70's country (hank jr, strait) maybe

also websearch for 70's club hits

• Members

Cake's version of "I Will Surive" is basically a four-piece arrangement, and it goes over great.

Two Tickets to Paradise is ridiculously easy to throw together....basically two chords for almost the entire song.

Lots of great ZZ Top from.the 70's. Tush, La Grange, Cheap Sunglasses come to mind.

• Members

n9ne wrote:

Cake's version of "I Will Surive" is basically a four-piece arrangement, and it goes over great.

Not very dancable though.

And would depend mostly who would be at this 70s show and why.   I don't know that 90s alternative remakes of 70s songs would necessarily be the way to go.   Maybe as a one-off just to break things up, perhaps.

• Members

A friend of mine - a hard rockin guitar player - started playing in a disco/funk band this year. He is getting lots of work and having a great time, too.

People are really responding to the material, too - maybe that bandleader is on to something...

• Members

Not to put a damper on this discussion, but before we come up with a set worth of songs, I'd suggest doing a trial run on grooves typical of the era to see what's in everyones comfort zone.  Maybe you can play older songs in your style and get away with it, but I wonder if this is yet another case of clients treating bands like a juke box - assuming they can play anything and everything like the record at the drop of a hat.  

Even if you can cop a new style, I wonder how cost effective this whole venture is.  How many songs will you want to keep in the rotation?  I learned a set worth of TexMex songs, complete with lots of three part harmony, for a Cinco de Mayo gig last Spring.  Total waste of time in retrospect.

• Members

wesg wrote:

Play that funky music

New girl now

Two tickets to paradise

Surrender

Simple man

Some good suggestions, but "New Girl Now", if you mean the Honeymoon Suite song, is from 1984.

And "Two Tickets" brings up an interesting question:  What's 70s and what's 60s and what's 80s?  I know that song is from 1978, but it always seemed a bit more "80s" to me than "70s".    Certainly anything from The Cars (first album 1978) I wouldn't recommend for a 70s gig.  That album was pretty much the beginning of 80s power-pop, IMO.   But certainly you could play stuff off of Led Zeppelin's first album (1969) and call it "70s".

Point being: it's probably more about vibe and fashion than strict dating.

• Members

I'd probably stick with the easiest to put together. Some in my 70's list: (I know some of these probably already said)

Floyd - another brick in the wall

Stayin Alive - Bee Gees

YMCA - Village dudes

Heart of Glass - Blondie

Pop Muzik by M

Play that funk music - cherry

That's the way I like it - KC and sunshine band (you could do a medley from KC)

Car Wash - Rose Royce

Knock on Wood - make up a version (never cared for it myself but sometimes it flys)

We are Family Sister Sledge

Shake your body - Jackson 5

Brick House - commodores

Do you think i"m sexy - Big Rod

Le Freak - chic

Boogie nights - heatwave

Ball room blitz - Sweet

Anything by Stevie, Elton John, Olivia Newton John, Chicago, ABBA, Bee Gees, Neil Diamond, Eagles, Commodores, Barry Manilow, Barry White, Al Green, Stones, Aretha, Temptations and last but not lease SWEET.

Archived