Wow! Talk about a Low Ball Offer

jeff42

• Members

Here's the story... My last band played one of the better rooms in the area every 3-4 months for 2 years before we were cancelled and never hired back because new management and new agency took over and just weren't interested- Right before that happened Ostrich Hat played there 1 night and did very well. 

Since then the last band has gone on hiatus and I have been trying to get Ostrich Hat back in there with no luck.

Yesterday we got an email from the agency that books for the room giving us one date a few months from now as a "test." Because they consider us a New-1st-time-in-band.

Ok fine, I am confident we will pass this "test" But we are not a 1st time in band.

The 2nd email came this morning with the details... Including a price so low I am not sure Ostrich Hat has EVER played for that little money. The good things are: house PA and lights, great built in crowd and it "looks" good on the schedule for other great rooms to see this room listed....but man did this guy low ball us... part of the reason I think is because he knows we want the gig. I have a call into him and I am going to try to discuss this. Another great room right down the street pays us 4X as much! I do want the room but this just seems like a dick move... any suggestions on how to handle it?

• Members

Yes raise your prices across the board!! Up your game and stand your ground! Do not go into business with low Baller's or except crappy money because then you are feeding the beast and further adding to the demise of live music! When everyone else is getting the shaft and taking lowball offers you raise your prices you might lose some crappy gigs in the short-term but it's about the perception of worth. You will start getting higher and private work that will more than make up for the crappy bar gigs you've lost trust me on this this is where you want to be.

One of the main reasons things are in the {censored}ter now is because musicians have done it for themselves by accepting little to no pay don't be one of them brother! Double down stand your ground we invest in your show up the ante up the quality and move up!!

• Members

joshmac wrote:

don't bend over for him. If the price is too low, then it is too low. If you need the venue and think it will add to your overall fun and reputation, then a one time low price might be do-able

It do believe it will add to our "rep" and I was thinking of going that route. But I am not sure... One time at this Bull{censored} price and let him know what our price is for all other gigs after.  It will be an easy gig and We are planning on calling in favors and filling the place with friends/ family and everyone we can so it WILL be a good gig.

• Members

Hell no to what joshmac said!!! Do not go in there one time because of the perceived value of that crappy ass paying venue!! If the club down the street that pays you four times the money here's that you played for one fourth of what they pay you they will cut your pay. And trust me they will hear about it! It's a bad business move across the board do not get in business with this lowballing agency or bar:)

• Members

sventvkg wrote:

Hell no to what joshmac said!!! Do not go in there one time because of the perceived value of that crappy ass paying venue!! If the club down the street that pays you four times the money here's that you played for one fourth of what they pay you they will cut your pay. And trust me they will hear about it! It's a bad business move across the board do not get in business with this lowballing agency or bar:)

Don't do it man. I just had this talk with my wife last night. We've all put too much time in to be doing crap like this. Even at our best gigs most of us are underpaid. Your schedule is full right? Politly let them know that you're going rate is $xxxx and you've worked very hard to establish that price.

• Members

Good stuff. This one place offered us Halloween for basically $500 less than our regular rate. Often we can haggle for our NYE rate. We decided to take a pass.

Same with another venue, their standard rate is about half our regular rate. We've always taken a pass. Next year curiously we are booked for Halloween AND NYE at our full rate for both.

I remember the discussion, I said if we play for X amount of dollars and word gets out, that's all we will ever get again. And the one owner, nice girl just always tries to cheap out on us, so we took a pass this year.

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

Here's the story... My last band played one of the better rooms in the area every 3-4 months for 2 years before we were cancelled and never hired back because new management and new agency took over and just weren't interested- Right before that happened Ostrich Hat played there 1 night and did very well. 

Since then the last band has gone on hiatus and I have been trying to get Ostrich Hat back in there with no luck.

Yesterday we got an email from the agency that books for the room giving us one date a few months from now as a "test." Because they consider us a New-1st-time-in-band.

Ok fine, I am confident we will pass this "test" But we are not a 1st time in band.

The 2nd email came this morning with the details... Including a price so low I am not sure Ostrich Hat has EVER played for that little money. The good things are: house PA and lights, great built in crowd and it "looks" good on the schedule for other great rooms to see this room listed....but man did this guy low ball us... part of the reason I think is because he knows we want the gig. I have a call into him and I am going to try to discuss this. Another great room right down the street pays us 4X as much! I do want the room but this just seems like a dick move... any suggestions on how to handle it?

Anecdotal dialogue 

Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?

Socialite: My goodness, Mr. Churchill

• Members

BlueStrat wrote:

And there is the added possibility that places that pay you more may discover you're willing to take less elsewhere. 

For all you know, he bet his other bar owner buddies (at places you play) that he could get you to play in his bar for less. And once you do, you can rest assured his friends will drop their offer too.

Archived