Full String Section

Potts

• Members

We just finished a full string section for one of the tunes on my CD. I decided awhile ago that I'd cover Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". It was originally just going to be voice and guitar. The engineer/owner said he'd pay for the string section and eat the studio time because he wanted to arrange the parts.

LOL- we ended up with 42 tracks of material. I'm tempted to post what I have because I simply can't get over how amazing it is but I think I'll wait until I get something more than a quick mix.

• Members

That is awesome, sounds like a cool and adventurous guy to work with. How many diff musicians did you guys hire?

Was there any particular reason you chose that song? I assume if it's a cover on an original music CD, it must be special to you.

• Members

joshmac wrote:

That is awesome, sounds like a cool and adventurous guy to work with. How many diff musicians did you guys hire?

Was there any particular reason you chose that song? I assume if it's a cover on an original music CD, it must be special to you.

Last year at Christmas time i encouraged Facebook friends to request a song and if they were lucky i'd record it "live" for them. Someone requested that tune and I recorded it. Everyone started asking for it at shows and it sort of took off. I had it posted and the owner heard it. I walked into the studio and he told me that the tune held special meaning for him and his wife and offered me the free time.

As far as musicians go? I took the arrogant way when recording in my youth. I used to think that I had to do everything myself. I've obviously grown so this time I decided it was all about end product.

The strings (Cello, Viola and Violin) were done by one woman...unreal huh? 

I brought one of Buffalo's top two bass players. I played all of the acoustics and a few solos myself but also brought in three other guitar players for solos and icing on the cake stuff. I'll do all of the vocals including the harmonies. I have two piano players and I'm currently looking for a trumpet player for one of the tunes.  :)

Archived