TV video shoot and interview

TIMKEYS

• Members

We picked up a video shoot and interview  with one of the local valley TV stations from the concert we played a couple weeks ago on south padre.   Had to get up at O dark thirty  and take the band up the valley an hour and a half to do the TV thing.   10 am load in ,,, play a song ,, do a short interview about the venue and the band... Do a short instrumental ditty for the outro. and load out.   Fun time ,but  way too early for a bunch of guys who live on the 3am to 11am  sched.   It should be fun to see what things look like after it gets edited for TV.   I would guess it will be about 4 mins total.   I will put it up if i get the footage.   Its airs early in the morning so god knows i will never see it live.  Whats funny is that we could have played a show in the time it took to do this little ditty.  I bet the bags under my eyes looked like water balloons.  I got about 3 hours of sleep last night.   What is funny is that I did one of these deals back when I was 16 with a band and I came away with the same feeling.  It just didnt feel like you were playing music.  Its just kind of a blur.   I am off this weekend.   We have been going full blast for several weeks   Lead player came back after being MIA for 7 weeks with a concert comming up, and breaking in a new drummer to do the concert,  and then just when you think things are calming down. Oh by the way we have a TV promo.  It was basically dumb luck of being at the right place at the right time.  Someone from the station was at the concert and needed a story for their segment.  We are 4 year in, so any luck that flows our way we appreciate.  Its starting to look like this is going to be a pretty good year.    

• Members

I've never understood why morning shows try to feature evening entertainment. Nobody who would go spend money to watch that evening entertainment is going to be up that early either. Did they pay you or just give you free 'exposure' to non-customers?

• Members

toober wrote:

I've never understood why morning shows try to feature evening entertainment. Nobody who would go spend money to watch that evening entertainment is going to be up that early either. Did they pay you or just give you free 'exposure' to non-customers?

There are about a million people in the rio grande valley.  Day time TV is  geared toward housewives.  There are a lot of stay at home moms because family is very much a part of the culture here.  The big attraction for famlies is south padre island and the beach , because its pretty much scrub brush texas till you hit SA. 

We entertain these famlies and visitors and are connected at the hip to a venue. We do the early shows. 7 to10    Its the kind of place mom would tell dad ,, "hey , we gotta check this place out"   Its a fun fun fun venue for famlies and adults.  Its a 110 percent effort kind of place.  No they didnt pay us.  But what we got out of it was 4 mins of free promo in a market of a million people in house holds ,, where when dad asks mom where she wants to go for her birthday, or special night out ,, we want her to say the home venue.   Trust me ,,we got paid and paid well ,, whats 4 mins of tv promo worth to a venue and the house band?   Sure we grumbled , but we all rolled out and did the shoot.   It was a no brainer.   The venue drives our paying shows.  Its a crazy band model but its going to be pretty effective over the long haul i am pretty sure. 

• Moderators

toober wrote:

I've never understood why morning shows try to feature evening entertainment. Nobody who would go spend money to watch that evening entertainment is going to be up that early either. Did they pay you or just give you
free 'exposure'
to non-customers?

You put quotes around "exposure' why? It IS exposure. It's a very different thing playing a local show than it is to play free for even 100 people for 'exposure'.  TV is major coverage. And as far as the time being against type? I'm at my desk at 5am. And I manage to get out and see shows. So do my nonplaying friends. By thinking only in terms of the crowd you already have you cut off the potential. 

I've played local news shows from zero effect to major turn out that night and continuing. So... I can't imagine the clever band turning down the morning TV gig because "our crowd sleeps in" and "they're not paying!!!"

Um... no. :) 

Archived