Interesting NY Times Article

trevcda

• Members

This came across my FB page today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/opinion/sunday/slaves-of-the-internet-unite.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Although it's about writing for a living as opposed to music, and we've dicussed the hell out of here, I thought it was interesting to see the same discussion from veiwpoint of a different vocation.  I particularly like the fill in the blank reply the writer was kind enough to include in the article.  For free no less! 

"Here, for public use, is my very own template for a response to people who offer to let me write something for them for nothing:

Thanks very much for your compliments on my [writing/illustration/whatever thing you do]. I

• Members

Reminds of what YMalmsteen said about giving music away for free, to paraphrase... 'the hours, weeks, years, of blood sweat and tears learning your craft is an investment that you shouldn't give away'...

He nailed it but I suspect few get the time it took to get as good as him vs put together half ass bands that learn a few chords and throw something out there or a rap singer that talks over a drum machine.

Time is probably the most precious thing you have and everyone is seeking something for nothing out of you...I even ponder why I spend the time on these forums, dispensing knowledge...and for what gain? So some lurker will benefit, but have a forum full of antogonists fight the obvious and sling mud at me for my trouble?

• Members

tacdryver wrote:

Time is probably the most precious thing you have and everyone is seeking something for nothing out of you...I even ponder why I spend the time on these forums, dispensing knowledge...and for what gain? So some lurker will benefit, but have a forum full of antogonists fight the obvious and sling mud at me for my trouble?

Can't speak for any other forums you might hang out at, but before one can DISPENSE knowledge, one must ACQUIRE knowledge.

Since this is a band forum,  and you've never played in one...the atagonism seems warranted.

But troll away...it's a slow snowy day here anyway.

• Members

I used this phrase once during a negotiation where the wanted me to work for free, mentioning they could "probably find someone to do it for free"...

"I understand that you can probably find someone else to do the sound gig for free. You can also take a shovel and dig a hole in the ground to s*** in, but an outhouse is much nicer"

They did find someone to do it for free. I did it the next year, and got paid.

Archived